[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulpix

Reaction score
All 2-bay Synology NAS slot in vertically.
For 4-bay, only J series is horizontal drive slot in.
I think I phrased it wrongly. I'm looking for something like this:

427_1576656770_TS-230_Hot-swappable.png

QNAP TS-230, the HDD sits vertically in the unit, not horizontally. The unit in this picture is on its side, the front part is the one with the USB.

107d.jpg

teamktm250

Reaction score
DS918+ flashing amber light!

Hi guys,

My original power adapter for my DS918+ died and I got a 3rd party power adapter output 7A. Could this be the reason?

It is able to power on now, but it has a flashing amber light and it is not detecting my HDs on bay 1 and 2. I installed only 2 HDs though.

The webassistant is saying - NO HDs found on 918+

Any sifu can help?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My original power adapter for my DS918+ died and I got a 3rd party power adapter output 7A. Could this be the reason?

It is able to power on now, but it has a flashing amber light and it is not detecting my HDs on bay 1 and 2. I installed only 2 HDs though.

The webassistant is saying - NO HDs found on 918+

Any sifu can help?

Your DS918+ should be under warranty or you bought from oversea?

mlmooy

Reaction score
Hello to all experienced users here, my DS420+ has finally arrived!

Now need to decide on either N300 toshiba 8TB or ironwolf 8TB

I read that ironwolf disks are helium filled. Does that mean they are better?

Price wise, shoppee has vendors selling $30~$50 cheaper than official store. Any recommendations for reliable vendors or good offers to share? Anyone tried ordering from amazon for Harddisk before?

:))

teamktm250

Reaction score
bought locally last year June. Found the receipt! 3 year warranty! May I know where is the service center for Synology in SG?

Last edited:

gonegolf

Reaction score
Hello all, I have 1 issue with my NAS.
Slot 2 of My DS212play not able to spin up, checked is not the HDD problem, cause test the HDD in slot 1, it work fine.
Anyone have this kind of failure before ? Thanks

I am having the same in my DS916+. Tried 4 new disks and same problem - recognised and works. Boot NAS 3x later it will not recognised. Exactly 3 years old....

Now the system doesn't boot at all, looks like logic board failed. Anyone replaced the logic board before and how much does it costs? Thanks

Last edited:

karloil

Reaction score
Someone here was able to have his unit serviced - but I believe he sent it back to Taiwan.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bought locally last year June. Found the receipt! 3 year warranty! May I know where is the service center for Synology in SG?
Email Synology and find out which distro your unit is. Provides both model & serial number.

Last edited:

karloil

Reaction score
Anyone here used their NAS together with Steam? Either by using the NAS as downloaded games library OR using iSCSI? :s11:

existential_reality

Reaction score
I don't think the 8TB Ironwolf are helium filled, those are usually for the enterprise drives of 16TB. The Ironwolf 16TB might also be helium filled, the rationale for Helium is cause the platters are so dense it allows them to run without heating up as much a normal drives does.

That said Ironwolf with Synology has an advantage of the error checks which is in addition to the SMART checks, I use multiple Ironwolf Pros 10TB drives so far no issues for about 1 year non stop. (PS these also not helium filled)

Hello to all experienced users here, my DS420+ has finally arrived!

Now need to decide on either N300 toshiba 8TB or ironwolf 8TB

I read that ironwolf disks are helium filled. Does that mean they are better?

Price wise, shoppee has vendors selling $30~$50 cheaper than official store. Any recommendations for reliable vendors or good offers to share? Anyone tried ordering from amazon for Harddisk before?

:))

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think the 8TB Ironwolf are helium filled, those are usually for the enterprise drives of 16TB. The Ironwolf 16TB might also be helium filled, the rationale for Helium is cause the platters are so dense it allows them to run without heating up as much a normal drives does.

That said Ironwolf with Synology has an advantage of the error checks which is in addition to the SMART checks, I use multiple Ironwolf Pros 10TB drives so far no issues for about 1 year non stop. (PS these also not helium filled)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14474/seagate-announces-heliumbased-16-tb-exos-and-ironwolf-hard-drives

mlmooy

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I Cannot play .mov and mp4 files via DS file.

Anyone has the same issue? My old WD nas can play all these videos on my iPhone with no issue but I cannot play them in this ds420+.

Tried the desktop version also cannot. Have I missed any settings?
Hope someone can share with me his/her experience. Thanks.

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I Cannot play .mov and mp4 files via DS file.

Anyone has the same issue? My old WD nas can play all these videos on my iPhone with no issue but I cannot play them in this ds420+.

Tried the desktop version also cannot. Have I missed any settings?
Hope someone can share with me his/her experience. Thanks.

When you said cannot play video file, play it from which device? Mobile or PC?

To play video file, you need a video player installed into your device first. Like PC, you can use VLC player or Android, use MX player. I am not a IOS user, cannot advice you on the apple player.

mlwang

Master Member
Reaction score
DS218play & BTRFS

Hi all

I am thinking of getting a DS218play, mainly for home storage of files, videos, and photos.

I read about the pros of BTFRS can help in bit rot protection.

Does DS218play support BTFRS?

mlmooy

Reaction score
When you said cannot play video file, play it from which device? Mobile or PC?

To play video file, you need a video player installed into your device first. Like PC, you can use VLC player or Android, use MX player. I am not a IOS user, cannot advice you on the apple player.

Thanks. I was trying to play them using synology apps. I used DS file to try playing. Installed DS video but also cannot play any of my .mov or mp4.

On my iPhone, those videos can be played via WD Nas but not on DS420+ so I suspect could be settings.

arthurkwan

Reaction score
DDR4 Ram

Hi, anyone tried adding 3rd party rams (non-synology) DDR4 ram without any warning message at the startup? Can share the rams you used?

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.