DBS Black Amex - Shopee & Qoo10 transactions tagged under wrong Professional Services MCC

everyoneall

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently, DBS Black Amex Credit Card offered "6% cashback on all spend" promotion from 1 Apr - 30 Sep 2020. Cashback will be credited after 60 days.

After 3 mths, DBS confirmed that all my Shopee and Qoo10 transactions to the DBS Black Amex Credit Card - since Apr 2020, are all tagged under Professional Services MCC (Merchant Classification Code) instead, and are excluded from the 6% Cashback.

DBS claims it's Merchants' fault that tag the MCC Code wrongly. But, strangely, it only happens to DBS Black Amex Card. It doesn't happen to other DBS credit cards (eg. Live Fresh VISA, SAFRA MC, etc). And, I find it too coincidental, that both Shopee and Qoo10 tag same wrong MCC code together.

So, do take note, when you spend on the DBS Black Amex credit card.

Regards.

TiedInsurer

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Recently, DBS Black Amex Credit Card offered "6% cashback on all spend" promotion from 1 Apr - 30 Sep 2020. Cashback will be credited after 60 days.

After 3 mths, DBS confirmed that all my Shopee and Qoo10 transactions to the DBS Black Amex Credit Card - since Apr 2020, are all tagged under Professional Services MCC (Merchant Classification Code) instead, and are excluded from the 6% Cashback.

DBS claims it's Merchants' fault that tag the MCC Code wrongly. But, strangely, it only happens to DBS Black Amex Card. It doesn't happen to other DBS credit cards (eg. Live Fresh VISA, SAFRA MC, etc). And, I find it too coincidental, that both Shopee and Qoo10 tag same wrong MCC code together.

So, do take note, when you spend on the DBS Black Amex credit card.

Regards.

Seems like the problem is with Shopee/Qoo tagging with AMEX. MCC code can defer depending on payment network. Anyone else with a different AMEX card can confirm?

CrashWire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

d3fc0n

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
edit; ok i didnt get cashback for my qoo10 purchase. but it was counted as min spend quota

Last edited:

d3fc0n

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
seems like qoo10 really grp as biz service. my latest qoo10 txn

Mw3wJ3P.jpg

everyoneall

Reaction score
yup, recently found this DBS digibot good feature - to see MCC code for card spends, etc.

- For DBS Black Amex Card only
SHOPEE SINGAPORE SHOPE SINGAPORE 702 Merchant Category: BUSINESS SERVICES
QOO10 PTE LTD SINGAPORE 702 Merchant Category: BUSINESS SERVICES

- For other DBS Credit Cards
Shopee - Singapore 62708100 SGP Merchant Category: VARIETY STORES
QOO10 SINGAPORE SGP Merchant Category: MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL MERCHANDISE

Somehow, DBS Black Amex is the only card, amongst my many banks' credit cards, to tag Shopee and Qoo10 transactions under Business Services MCC. This MCC is normally excluded in many banks' credit cards' cashback, so I'll definitely know if any of my Shopee/Qoo10 spends are excluded from cashback.

d3fc0n

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i reached out to dbs. nt sure if can appeal for the cashback. i sent them proof of purchase on qoo10

d3fc0n

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
DBS has gotten back to me. they will accord the cashback (within 60 days :s22: ) that was missed due to the MCC cockup. so those who didnt get your cashback, get intouch with a CSO, send over your qoo10 invoice to them then they will act on it accordingly

gutlink28

Reaction score
DBS has gotten back to me. they will accord the cashback (within 60 days :s22: ) that was missed due to the MCC cockup. so those who didnt get your cashback, get intouch with a CSO, send over your qoo10 invoice to them then they will act on it accordingly
After I saw your update, I used the online chat and talked to a CSO.

Strangely, she told me the Qoo10 transactions are eligible even though they are categorized as Business Services.

I've captured the chat conversation as evidence in case they take their words back.

F7vbwGe.png

YAqXFRe.png

SUJI6rO.png

d3fc0n

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After I saw your update, I used the online chat and talked to a CSO.

Strangely, she told me the Qoo10 transactions are eligible even though they are categorized as Business Services.

I've captured the chat conversation as evidence in case they take their words back.

F7vbwGe.png

YAqXFRe.png

SUJI6rO.png

maybe they whitelist qoo10 after the multiple feedback. best is still monitor it accordingly

everyoneall

Reaction score
maybe they whitelist qoo10 after the multiple feedback. best is still monitor it accordingly
hopefully, with more ppl feedback to DBS, they realised the issue;
and auto issues cashback for Qoo10 & Shopee transactions under DBS Black Amex 6% promo.
instead of current mode - which requires customers to call them up to complain on this, and send them Qoo10/Shopee order emails as proof for appeal.

blueboat

Reaction score
Auto cash back would be good. This promo will still be on for a few more months. There are other promos eg DBS go online go contactless that are facing this issue too

plustwo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
digging this up.. my altitude amex is also wrongly classified. where do you guys write in to claim it back?

SHOPEE SINGAPORE SHOPE SINGAPORE 702
Merchant Category: BUSINESS SERVICES

everyoneall

Reaction score
digging this up.. my altitude amex is also wrongly classified. where do you guys write in to claim it back?

SHOPEE SINGAPORE SHOPE SINGAPORE 702
Merchant Category: BUSINESS SERVICES
You need to call DBS Hotline. Informed them that the Shopee transaction was tagged with wrong MCC, under your DBS Amex Credit Card. Up to the Hotline, if they want to escalate, to rectify this for u.

- For DBS Amex Credit Cards

- For DBS VISA / MasterCard Credit Cards

plustwo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You need to call DBS Hotline. Informed them that the Shopee transaction was tagged with wrong MCC, under your DBS Amex Credit Card. Up to the Hotline, if they want to escalate, to rectify this for u.

- For DBS Amex Credit Cards

- For DBS VISA / MasterCard Credit Cards
did you manage to claim it back in the end?

everyoneall

Reaction score
did you manage to claim it back in the end?

Btw, DBS will ask u to email proof of these transactions, eg Qoo10/Shopee orders confirmation emails, to them.

I only claimed back the Qoo10 & Shopee big amount transactions. All entitled cashback were refunded back to me aft abt 2 mths. I got many transactions, so lazy to submit proof for the smaller amount transactions...

plustwo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Btw, DBS will ask u to email proof of these transactions, eg Qoo10/Shopee orders confirmation emails, to them.

I only claimed back the Qoo10 & Shopee big amount transactions. All entitled cashback were refunded back to me aft abt 2 mths. I got many transactions, so lazy to submit proof for the smaller amount transactions...
******* leichei. dont know why 4 months later still this problem

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.