Android TV Box

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is a bit different. SingTel has the means to deliver higher quality (2k/4k) contents through the "local" network, through SingTel Cast at least, but since SingTel TV is only up to 720p/1080p (actually 1080i) they probably do not want to offer higher quality videos through SingTel Cast.

This is probably the same for Starhub TV+. Starhub Fibre TV is again only up to 720p/1080p (actually 1080i), Starhub will not want to offer 2k or 4k contents through Starhub TV+.

We probably need to wait long long for SingTel and Starhub to offer 4k Fibre TV first. The 4k set top boxes are readily available, but it is up to Singtel/Starhub to upgrade.

As for MediaCorp MeWatch, probably same situation.

Do not understand why No one want to launch 4k TV in Singapore. May be it is costly to have 4K video?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the singtel cast app is really CMi.

picture quality for most channels are not better than 480p video.

For live sports, it is said to be 5Mbps, should be about 720p based on the bit rate. But I do not have Sports Plus pack.

Ref:
https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/lifestyle-services/cast/viewingtips

Please note that CAST's live sporting events are streamed at 5mbps. The capabilities of your local streaming conditions will determine your streaming experience.

To achieve the most optimal viewing experience, we recommend accessing the live stream on cast.sg through your computer’s browser (Chrome/Safari), with a cabled connection.

Depending on your local broadband connection, your download speed of the live stream is dependent on your wireless/Wi-Fi settings, your router streaming speeds and the broadband service speeds you have with your broadband supplier.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do not understand why No one want to launch 4k TV in Singapore. May be it is costly to have 4K video?

Quite some people are watching 4K video through Netflix and other streaming platform.

And there is a niche market for 4K UHD Blu-ray as well.

Then there are also people using torrent or cached torrents for 4k contents, where it becomes illegal or at least grey area.

As for the general public, cost and contents availability may still be the main issue.

bodohboy

Reaction score
watch on phone or tablet singcast is fine actually....on TV really cmi to my eye
think i mention to u i might subscript epl from pp next seaosn...i have committed ....now can watch free remaining 2019/2020 matches

test EPL /FA cup/CL cfm better than singcast esp 原画50帧 match ....so flawless.....

this box advertisement jin overdue liao haha
HiMedia 8K
New HiSilicon Hi3796CV300 8K media chipset. Mali G52. 8K playback. Android 9

Bro need to use 中国 VPN to access? And only Chinese commentary is it?

Singtel Cast app on either my MiBox S or Apple TV really CMI. Been leaching on my bro’s Singtel TV GO to Chromecast it, seems okay.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Singtel Cast app on either my MiBox S or Apple TV really CMI. Been leaching on my bro’s Singtel TV GO to Chromecast it, seems okay.

I believe PP Sports app needs China VPN and the commentary will be Chinese. But wait for the confirmation from brother vaxvms (haha, was using a bit of terminal access to DEC VAX VMS back in NTU days in late 1990s).

SingTel TV Go supports 360p, 480p, 720p and 1080p. I do not have subscription so only the free contents.

Same for SingTel Cast, 360p, 480p, 720p and 1080p. Some channels are only up to 720p. But I believe SingTel TV Go to be the same.

You may want to change the default "Auto" and see if that helps.

But for live sports, I understand that the users may have a bit higher requirements since Sports Plus is expensive. And on the network latency side SingTel Cast may not be so good either.

For the SingTel cast packs I hav subscriptions (Entertainment Plus 24 month and 4 month free Lifestyle Plus), they seem to be okay on my phone, my Mi Box S connected to a 24 inch 1080p monitor, or my 1st gen Chromecast dongle connect to a 40 inch 1080p dumb TV.

You can say I have low requirements but the devices I have subscriptions are all 1080p or below, SingTel Fibre, SingTel Cast, Youku mobile version. I have Apple TV+ subscription which does support some 4k contents but I do not have Apple TV 4k and no 4k display ; and the apps I usually use are also mainly up to 1080p without subscription, only YouTube supports 4k.

I guess you are using large screen 4K TV?

Last edited:

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

got option for chinese/english/cantonese commentary
depend on matches

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
(haha, was using a bit of terminal access to DEC VAX VMS back in NTU days in late 1990s).

haha so u know my background liao ....good old days good $$$$$$ till merge wif compaq n go down-under

all the DEC turbo-laser machine which we call then in data centers

many banks still using microvax now...

ok enough think going out of topics :s13:

hwzlite

Reaction score
G33k install Android on thin client anyone?
If we can get our hands on cheap refurbished one locally :D

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
G33k install Android on thin client anyone?
If we can get our hands on cheap refurbished one locally :D

he is using PrimeOS.

primeos or other x86 based android os are not compatible with many apps, especially apps from china.

can't run kodi from google playstore or official kodi site, have to hunt for customised version.

see my post,
https://www.facebook.com/groups/tvboxsgadv/permalink/412840739612654/

and the feedback
https://www.facebook.com/groups/tvboxsgadv/permalink/585549635675096/

not a good move to spend US$25 to get a half-baked box, however, if you have old pc/notebook lying around, no harm trying.

US$25 can buy you a 2GB/8GB new box with S905X, good for
most apps.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quite some people are watching 4K video through Netflix and other streaming platform.

And there is a niche market for 4K UHD Blu-ray as well.

Then there are also people using torrent or cached torrents for 4k contents, where it becomes illegal or at least grey area.

As for the general public, cost and contents availability may still be the main issue.

Since Netflix and other streaming platform already have 4k contents, why Pay TV just continue with HD resolution? Just do not understand.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since Netflix and other streaming platform already have 4k contents, why Pay TV just continue with HD resolution? Just do not understand.

Probably limited customer base who want to pay more for 4k contents?

At least I do not want to pay more for my SingTel TV package, I am happy with 720p/1080p.

The two Pay TV providers are already losing customers to the streaming platforms. So they are beefing up their respective VOD services (SingTel Cast and Starhub TV+). There are also bring in more VOD partners now. So 4k Fibre TV services upgrade will probably not in their high priority now.

Last edited:

chaiscool

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Probably limited customer base who want to pay more for 4k contents?

At least I do not want to pay more for my SingTel TV package, I am happy with 720p/1080p.

The two Pay TV providers are already losing customers to the streaming platforms. So they are beefing up their respective VOD services (SingTel Cast and Starhub TV+). There are also bring in more VOD partners now. So 4k Fibre TV services upgrade will probably not in their high priority now.

Or they’re losing customer who wants higher than 720/1080 videos. Those people have to switch to streaming to get higher res.

They probably don’t know their customer well and have wrong perception that the market is small. Those exec in charge of tv just take the easy way out and blame streaming platform instead of acknowledging their own incompetence.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Or they’re losing customer who wants higher than 720/1080 videos. Those people have to switch to streaming to get higher res.

They probably don’t know their customer well and have wrong perception that the market is small. Those exec in charge of tv just take the easy way out and blame streaming platform instead of acknowledging their own incompetence.

I think they give up on 4k contents on Fibre TV already and now work with Netflix and other partners.

Look at the Starhub Fibre TV offer mentioned in the other thread. Not a bad bundle (Fibre TV plus 1Gbps Fibre broadband) actually with Netflix and Starhub TV+ thrown in for free.

Not sure whether it’s the same or a bit different from Starhub website. This is for NTUC members

HomeHub Plus 1G at $79.90/month on a 24-month contract:

1Gbps Fibre Broadband
1 Entertainment Pass
Netflix subscription
Limited-time offer:
FREE StarHub Smart WiFi (set of 2) worth $398
FREE 2nd Entertainment Pass for 24 months worth $429.60
FREE upgrade of Netflix from 2 screens to 4 screens for 24 months worth $96

tyrensky

Reaction score
Spoke to gearbest Cs, they told me tanix tx3 is discontinued, and will not be restocked. Any other s905x3 TV box you all recommend?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Spoke to gearbest Cs, they told me tanix tx3 is discontinued, and will not be restocked. Any other s905x3 TV box you all recommend?

In that case, you can check out Mecool KM1 S905X3. S905X2 box is also okay and you can look at Minix NEO T5. Both are certified Google Android TV OS device, but not Netflix HD certified.

Beelink GT1 Mini 2 is also a possible choice without certified Android TV OS.

But if you want to look at cheaper box and you are an experienced user, then A95X F3 or F3 Air seems to be popular. It is a generic no brand box so the quality may vary.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Any recommendation for notebook that runs on android OS?

Get a decent Android tablet and add the keyboard case. You can check the tablet section.

Better brands: Samsung and Huawei
Cheap and okay brand: Alldocube and Teclast

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.