Desktop 2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread VI [consolidated]

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Yup i agree with lxXXxl, best sound quality options for the size and money would be either e)Edifier r1280db(entry level), r1700db(next level with better tweeter), or r1850db(only model with subwoofer connectivity) or r2000db(bigger/better but maybe just under $250 depending on promo).

After that just add spotify streaming device or whatever playback device or just bluetooth from phone.

Please carefully check pricing with coupons/vouchers and delivery costs on lazada as different sellers different price. Can save even more sometimes. But u may wanna make sure seller is local not in china, so u dont have to wait forever.

Last edited:

jedi5diah

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1J7J42al.jpg

Was really busy with work last month, but will not forget about music.

Had a fun time with my TT friend at my place last week, below are my tots and feelings:

Had a great session working from home together! A rare time to choose who and where to work at. Hoping to get an AK and R2R variant dacs for a big showdown soon!

I'm a very easy going listener overall chord TT definitely is more prominent and forward with its soundstage, x sabre pro is the most gentle among them and last but not least mytek is really dark and clean, easy on the ears.

Sound stage:
TT is very forward and close
XSP is wider (than TT) and less forward (than TT)
Mytek is widest and laid back

Characteristics:
TT has an unique mid bass between background and vocals, a very 3D like presence presentation.

XSP has very gentle touch, yet engaging feel. It adds a extra blend to the instruments & vocals together (in harmony).

Mytek separation is prestine, the pinpoint location of the instruments are very clear.

1 word round off:
TT is Intimate
XSP is Romantic
Mytek is Sweet

Genre preferences:
TT Jazz and (Slow) Classical (Piano Guitar)
XSP Pop Blues EDM (Violin)
Mytek Rock Metal (Majestic) Classical (Drums Electric)

Sent from HUAWEI LYA-L29 using GAGT

Last edited:

GotBetrayed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’m stuck between these choices:

Audioengine A2+ or A5+ Wireless.
Edifier s2000 pro mk3.

Using for near field use, just plain desktop speakers, desk is 72 inch.
Any comments? Mostly for gaming overwatch and watching YouTube/twitch etc.

Budget up to 800 sgd

I already own edifier e25 Luna eclipse and s2000 pro mk2
I also own the old audioengine A5+.

Last edited:

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
I’m stuck between these choices:

Audioengine A2+ or A5+ Wireless.
Edifier s2000 pro mk3.

Using for near field use, just plain desktop speakers, desk is 72 inch.
Any comments? Mostly for gaming overwatch and watching YouTube/twitch etc.

Budget up to 800 sgd

I already own edifier e25 Luna eclipse and s2000 pro mk2
I also own the old audioengine A5+.

Haha... Went back to read wwenze's s2000 review and saw your posts in Jan. Finally decided to pull trigger?

Wait you already own a5+ AND s2000pro mk2?

GotBetrayed

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha... Went back to read wwenze's s2000 review and saw your posts in Jan. Finally decided to pull trigger?

Wait you already own a5+ AND s2000pro mk2?

Yes I already own A5+ and s2000pro mk2.... now is for my new house pc desktop setup.

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
With small speakers, it's more a question of how low do you want to forgo? :D

It's a nearfield desktop, put beside PC monitor set up? No subwoofer planned?
Are you looking for something for background music? Or more critical listening that requires higher fidelity speakers (aka more accurate music playback)? Budget?

Can start with checking out Edifier r1280db, it goes low enough, cheap enough, and is still good quality as a 2.0 setup. Unless it's important for you to have the stereo receiver?

Yup i agree with lxXXxl, best sound quality options for the size and money would be either e)Edifier r1280db(entry level), r1700db(next level with better tweeter), or r1850db(only model with subwoofer connectivity) or r2000db(bigger/better but maybe just under $250 depending on promo).

After that just add spotify streaming device or whatever playback device or just bluetooth from phone.

Please carefully check pricing with coupons/vouchers and delivery costs on lazada as different sellers different price. Can save even more sometimes. But u may wanna make sure seller is local not in china, so u dont have to wait forever.

Thanks for the advices and suggestions.

The speakers will be connected to a stereo receiver and plan to add a turntable later.

I have the Q Acoustic 3020i and Yamaha R-N303 in mind.

According to the 3020i specs, they have a nominal impedance of 6ohm for 25 to 75W power. On the R-N303’s specs, it says the speaker impedance to be 8ohm with a maximum power of 125W, and High Dynamic Power/Channel (8/6/4/2ohm) at 125/150/165/180W respectively.

I’m a noob in the above power/impedance. Looking at the specs, I think it should be ok to pair the 3020i and 303; at a higher power and the 303 will run warmer compared to a 8ohm speaker setup when I run it at high volume. Am I correct?

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advices and suggestions.

The speakers will be connected to a stereo receiver and plan to add a turntable later.

I have the Q Acoustic 3020i and Yamaha R-N303 in mind.

According to the 3020i specs, they have a nominal impedance of 6ohm for 25 to 75W power. On the R-N303’s specs, it says the speaker impedance to be 8ohm with a maximum power of 125W, and High Dynamic Power/Channel (8/6/4/2ohm) at 125/150/165/180W respectively.

I’m a noob in the above power/impedance. Looking at the specs, I think it should be ok to pair the 3020i and 303; at a higher power and the 303 will run warmer compared to a 8ohm speaker setup when I run it at high volume. Am I correct?

You can run through ASR's review and measurements on the 3020i
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/q-acoustics-3020i-bookshelf-speaker-review.14568/

To paraphrase the reviewer:
1. it's more like a 4 ohm speaker (should still be fine for N303),
2. some toe-in can be useful,
3. it can be too bright (hence the eq to reduce high frequency volume, but dependent on your preference),
4. and QA should've reduced more of the bass below 50hz so the speaker isn't trying too hard (which affects the rest of frequencies being played).

But in our Singaporean rooms, you might not experience those points if you're not playing too loud.

I use a Yamaha S500, way more volume than I need. Personally I didn't consider QA speakers though because they tend to be too deep for my shallow desk. :s13:

If you're open to doing some simple eq on your pc, you can follow what the reviewer did. Or adjust via your N303.

Try getting a sub to get that extra punch?

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
You can run through ASR's review and measurements on the 3020i
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/q-acoustics-3020i-bookshelf-speaker-review.14568/

To paraphrase the reviewer:
1. it's more like a 4 ohm speaker (should still be fine for N303),
2. some toe-in can be useful,
3. it can be too bright (hence the eq to reduce high frequency volume, but dependent on your preference),
4. and QA should've reduced more of the bass below 50hz so the speaker isn't trying too hard (which affects the rest of frequencies being played).

But in our Singaporean rooms, you might not experience those points if you're not playing too loud.

I use a Yamaha S500, way more volume than I need. Personally I didn't consider QA speakers though because they tend to be too deep for my shallow desk. :s13:

If you're open to doing some simple eq on your pc, you can follow what the reviewer did. Or adjust via your N303.

Try getting a sub to get that extra punch?

Thanks for the information, great help.

Currently, no plan to add in a woofer; just a simple setup.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if it's because I am just using an AVR but I find passive speakers still not as satisfying as active speakers. Using passive speakers and amp u may find yourself tweaking settings and wondering if u matched equipment well endlessly. In total u may spend thousands trying to get everything to sound as good or as right as even $200-$500 active speakers. And u may never even feel totally satisfied. Maybe it's just me as I seem to have great difficulty learning about audio tech stuff.

I have elac debut b6.2, elac debut reference dbr62, as well as the much cheaper edifier r1280db. If u free can come my place and compare side by side and see what I mean. PM me if u want.

Last edited:

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^

if you don't like to tweak, AIO/active is the way to go.

if you have time, like changing up things, here and there, passive and separates will give you endless combinations, provided your system is of certain level, the difference of each tweak can be rather significant, based on what i can hear, no measurements or stuff like that though.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Which is the best bluetooth 5.0/5.1 transmitter/receiver for connecting to desktop speakers without bluetooth feature?

Support for aptx, aptxHD, aptx LL, LDAC etc codecs would be best besides AAC and SBC

Thanks

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
creative pebble v3 kym?

v3 liao ah! Probably now improved performance, throw in pond will bounce 3 times :D

As long as you are realistic about what you need, looks like a cheap improvement over laptop speakers.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Yay! So now I have two speakers that ASR amirm recommends and enjoys... Elac dbr62 and Edifier r1280t/r1280db :)

At first I wanted to upgrade to edifier S2000 mkiii or even S1000mkii but now not sure if it's worth double or 4 times the cost.

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Amir says it sounds nice without EQ... But score is 1.9, means wat

Anyway this presents an opportunity for owners. Throw the calculated EQs and see if it subjectively sounds like a 5.8 or does it sound like crap after EQ since the original sounds good.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.