Android TV Box

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not important for Mi Box S as it is pretty reliable in terms of HW quality. I myself bought Mi Box S without local warranty last year from Lazada.

I was just referring to the "official channel" query. There are people who prefer local warranty. There are also people who prefer physical shop (I myself included).

The Qoo10 listing is cheap. But I can tell you I do not trust Qoo10 myself, just a personal opinion based on the quality of the stuff my wife bought last time from Qoo10. I believe they have changed to better. But we also moved on to mainly use Taobao and occasionally Lazada/Shopee for online shopping.

online stores are the same. If you decide to forgo review and trust a shop, there is nobody to blame but yourself. Regardless Shopee, Lazada all the same.

Go shopee thread you will see group of people whining on the return policy as well. Do your homework and you will be spared

btw i have already bought 2 myself - if you hover on it, 500+ people bought it during this group buy and 600+ reviews

again, no loss on whichever platform one chooses. Is your $

Last edited:

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Qoo10 cheaper.
Link here

5YtjFHi.jpg

Group buy at $70
Cart Coupon -$10
Credit Card -$12 (from $5-$12 depending on the card used)

total: $48.

Types of credit card discounts
3ArThLo.jpg

Thanks bro... but I want official local warranty... so pay a bit more is ok lar... thanks!

By the way, this seller has quite a few queries regarding failing tv boxes... doesn't sound too good? This was one of the sellers I first looked at on Qoo10 but it wasn't an official seller...

Last edited:

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is covered by the seller. The freight is paid by the seller.

IMO, warranty or not is not important for mibox s, because it is very reliable.

Sounds good... for techies like you and me, ok... but for people I'm helping, not so much lar... I do see a lot of people on the Qoo10 complaining about not being to download box apps... not sure if it's user error or a regional issue?

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is warranty important? maybe the first 7 days. afterwhich.. is it still?

good for those who don't really care about warranty i think. For $50 i really can't be bothered with warranty. Is the warranty worth around $30 top up? Is anyone's call maybe.

Depends on what you value lor... some prefer peace of mind so they pay for that...

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
online stores are the same. If you decide to forgo review and trust a shop, there is nobody to blame but yourself. Regardless Shopee, Lazada all the same.

Go shopee thread you will see group of people whining on the return policy as well. Do your homework and you will be spared

btw i have already bought 2 myself - if you hover on it, 500+ people bought it during this group buy and 600+ reviews

again, no loss on whichever platform one chooses. Is your $

Agree... so far I find Qoo10 relatively reliable if you spend time to read the reviews and the Q&A and compare between a few popular sellers... I prefer Qoo10 only because their interface seems more organised especially at the product information section... Shopee is rather vague while Lazada is rather disorganized... ha ha... just my preference perhaps cos I used Qoo10 first...

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sounds good... for techies like you and me, ok... but for people I'm helping, not so much lar... I do see a lot of people on the Qoo10 complaining about not being to download box apps... not sure if it's user error or a regional issue?

user problem, don't know how to use.

I don't consider myself a techie.

you called yourself a techie :s22:

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you value lor... some prefer peace of mind so they pay for that...

normally people won't pay more than 10% extra for warranty .

paying 60% more is not peace of mind, but out of mind.

but mibox is sold at more than $75 most of the time when there is no special deal.

Last edited:

superio

Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Sorry, what is the best TV box for IT noobs like me? Plug and play with little customisation?

How's ubox and boss TV?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry, what is the best TV box for IT noobs like me? Plug and play with little customisation?

How's ubox and boss TV?

No perfect box. Starhub TV+ box is probably the only legitimate "preloaded" Android TV box in the local market.

If you go with not legitimate preloaded boxes, then probably Ubox is the only one to go.

magixz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No perfect box. Starhub TV+ box is probably the only legitimate "preloaded" Android TV box in the local market.

If you go with not legitimate preloaded boxes, then probably Ubox is the only one to go.
Ubox must change DNS to work. Cannot for noobs.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 9S using GAGT

magixz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Get any s905x3 box. Except A95x, then need apps you pm me

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Get any s905x3 box. Except A95x, then need apps you pm me

I do not not see the reason how one newbie can install the apps in a generic S905X3 box but not able to change DNS on a Ubox.

But yes it is good to learn to install apps, then no need to depend on preloaded boxes like Ubox.

BTW, why not A95X? It is the same generic no brand box as the others like X96 and H96, etc. IMHO, all of them are not so suitable to newbies because the quality may vary from batch to batch.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

why some people like to send out fake info.

ubox's ubtv, ublive, ubvod now can run with default network settings, i.e don't have to change DNS.

a few months ago, there was a need, but it is quite easy to do it, just run an app from the app market, noobs can do it.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

This TiVo Streaming 4k running official Google Android TV OS 9.0 and using Amlogic S905Y2 CPU is supposed to be good as it also supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

But apparently Lon.TV does not quite like it.

BTW, do not buy this for Singapore use as it is kind of locked to US (you need to provide US address etc).

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In the end Chromecast 2020 with Google TV is the new king at sub S$100 (US$50). Good thing is that it also forces Mi Box S to go towards lower cost.

Comparison of Chromecast 2020, Amazon FireTV Stick 4k and TiVo Streaming 4k. Take note for Singapore context, Mi Box S and Chromecast 2020 are better than Amazon FireTV Stick 4k and Tivo Streaming 4k (both kind of a bit locked to US region).

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Lon.TV Amazon FireTV Stick 2020 and FireTV Stick Lite review. 1080p only. Competitors include Mi TV Stick 1080p and Roku Stick 1080p, and also the higher end Amazon FireTV Stick 4k since it can have very steep discount during Thanksgiving holiday time.

In Singapore context, Mi TV Stick 1080p is still a better buy compared to Amazon FireTV Stick 2020.

Lon.TV review of Mi TV Stick 1080p.

Last edited:

magixz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
why some people like to send out fake info.

ubox's ubtv, ublive, ubvod now can run with default network settings, i.e don't have to change DNS.

a few months ago, there was a need, but it is quite easy to do it, just run an app from the app market, noobs can do it.
I bought one, due to DNS, and it wasn't smooth playing Sky Sports F1 during race, so I sold it off.
and used EVPad.
App store DNS cannot work, got to manually change DNS then.

Last edited:

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wish to record some programmes from the android TV box.

Anyone of u bought a hdmi capture device? Are those workable? I think I also want one that has hdmi pass-through, so that the hdmi can still be connected to the TV for viewing.

magixz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do not not see the reason how one newbie can install the apps in a generic S905X3 box but not able to change DNS on a Ubox.

But yes it is good to learn to install apps, then no need to depend on preloaded boxes like Ubox.

BTW, why not A95X? It is the same generic no brand box as the others like X96 and H96, etc. IMHO, all of them are not so suitable to newbies because the quality may vary from batch to batch.

I bought A95X twice, both died in days, So no more A95X for me

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.