The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

ralliart12

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just curious, does the high vision long life coating from Hoya stand up to weekly washing with less-harsh hand soap, e.g. those Kirei Kirei? Or will weekly washing like this, hasten the deterioration of the coating?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t be a problem :)

Just curious, does the high vision long life coating from Hoya stand up to weekly washing with less-harsh hand soap, e.g. those Kirei Kirei? Or will weekly washing like this, hasten the deterioration of the coating?

therat

Master Member
Reaction score
I brought a spec oversea and need to do some adjustment on the frame.

Can I just bring to any spec shop to ask them help me to adjust, FOC?

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
As Long as you understand any damage that accidentally happens during the adjustment is subjected to your own risk. Shops should be agreeable.

I brought a spec oversea and need to do some adjustment on the frame.

Can I just bring to any spec shop to ask them help me to adjust, FOC?

kitsura

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Elma ultrasonic cleaner where to buy? I know optical shops using this but can't find anyone selling. Also online is mostly 120v version.

MRC

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Elma ultrasonic cleaner where to buy? I know optical shops using this but can't find anyone selling. Also online is mostly 120v version.

Taobao alot cheap n good. Suitable for sg too ;)

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Can’t help you with that, but take note, don’t soak the glasses in ultrasonic for too Long, it will cause the coating of the lenses to peel over extended wash.

Edit: if your glasses is old, the paint/coating of the frame will flake because of the ultrasonic vibration. Be careful!

I don't trust a $100 cleaner to not ruin my 1k+ glasses. Elma is German and used by opticians.

kitsura

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can’t help you with that, but take note, don’t soak the glasses in ultrasonic for too Long, it will cause the coating of the lenses to peel over extended wash.

Edit: if your glasses is old, the paint/coating of the frame will flake because of the ultrasonic vibration. Be careful!
I found somewhere selling but price is about 1k. Do shops use the heater or just normal room temp water when cleaning?

Jay9999

Reaction score
Realised my lens coating is starting to peel out from the ends after about 2 years of wearing.

Wonder if I choose to buy more expensive lens will it be the same?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Depending on our handling, certain instances that even with the best lens coating also will get damaged...
Cleaning with clothes, not washing your cleaning cloth, air drying the lenses..

Realised my lens coating is starting to peel out from the ends after about 2 years of wearing.

Wonder if I choose to buy more expensive lens will it be the same?

Reaction score
Whats the general price range for either a transition-style zeiss digital lens or the hoya sync 3? I need the added power for my reading distance, even though I'm only in my late 20s

Made a new pair recently but keep having glare issues and I checked with an eye doctor who said there's nothing wrong with my eyes, so I don't know what type of lenses might be good for it

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Are you able to describe the glare?
Does it happen all the time?Only when looking at electronic devicesOutdoors?
Also what kind of frame are you using?
Half frame? Frameless?
Is your frame those translucent or Matte design?

Whats the general price range for either a transition-style zeiss digital lens or the hoya sync 3? I need the added power for my reading distance, even though I'm only in my late 20s

Made a new pair recently but keep having glare issues and I checked with an eye doctor who said there's nothing wrong with my eyes, so I don't know what type of lenses might be good for it

Reaction score
chang_fig1.jpg

Glare is generally occurring when I look at bright surfaces, electronic devices and lights. It's like ,the 'glare' portion of this photo.

It usually happens more in the day time, but night time it does especially when looking at lights , or like white fonts and stuff on my phone.

I'm using full frame plastic frames, which are matte in nature, from my understanding.

I bought my frames from a certain shop that's pretty well known previously, but looking to try other shops.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Have you tried with your old glasses to see if the issue persists?

chang_fig1.jpg

Glare is generally occurring when I look at bright surfaces, electronic devices and lights. It's like ,the 'glare' portion of this photo.

It usually happens more in the day time, but night time it does especially when looking at lights , or like white fonts and stuff on my phone.

I'm using full frame plastic frames, which are matte in nature, from my understanding.

I bought my frames from a certain shop that's pretty well known previously, but looking to try other shops.

Reaction score
Have you tried with your old glasses to see if the issue persists?

Yeah, the issue still persists, hence I think it's more important to find something that can solve the glare issue.

Was wondering if photofusion/transition style lenses will help with that? Doctor suggest polarised lenses since he check my eyes but cannot find anything wrong. but aren't those for sunglasses only :eek:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.