The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Where can I find a shop that allows me to choose a combination of good (high) index and abbe number?

Something like >=1.6 refractive index with around 40 or better abbe number

Budget $500. Already wasted $400 last year on glasses I can't use. That shop is dying and consolidating all their branches into one, good.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Lm or ny??

You can consider jamco, eyewear optics, kj optometrists.

Where can I find a shop that allows me to choose a combination of good (high) index and abbe number?

Something like >=1.6 refractive index with around 40 or better abbe number

Budget $500. Already wasted $400 last year on glasses I can't use. That shop is dying and consolidating all their branches into one, good.

yuelei

Reaction score
Hi GANGSTERKIA,

I am following you on the thread for quite a while and finally decide to make a photochromic lens. I found people have different opinion about Zeiss photochromic, Transitions gen 8, and Hoya sensity. From your experience, which is the best for Singapore weather? BTW, I just need a single vision 1.6 index lens. Thanks for your time.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
All 3 works fine. The cheapest would probably be essilor transition gen 8.

I would recommend hoya sensity as the most balanced product if budget permits.

Hi GANGSTERKIA,

I am following you on the thread for quite a while and finally decide to make a photochromic lens. I found people have different opinion about Zeiss photochromic, Transitions gen 8, and Hoya sensity. From your experience, which is the best for Singapore weather? BTW, I just need a single vision 1.6 index lens. Thanks for your time.

leoleong

Reaction score
Need some advice

Hi all,

I'm currently planning to make a new spectacle but I'm can't decide which brands of lens to get, and would like to seek some advice from you people.

1. hoya Nulux TF /EP

2. essilor blue uv capture

Thanks in advance

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey there,
If you prefer clarity and thinner lenses then go for hoya.

If you are looking at something more affordable then can go with essilor.

Both are fine👍🏻

Hi all,

I'm currently planning to make a new spectacle but I'm can't decide which brands of lens to get, and would like to seek some advice from you people.

1. hoya Nulux TF /EP

2. essilor blue uv capture

Thanks in advance

VodkaPear

Master Member
Reaction score
Will Zeiss smartlife digital lens look yellowish?

Ordered this lens today as I’m an IT professional in my early 30s.
Am worried that the lens will look yellowish due to the lens hav the UV protect against digital devices.

Does it look yellowish when taking photos wearing this lens?

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
It has a yellowish hue when you look through it but when ppl see you, it will look bluish or when taking photos.

Will Zeiss smartlife digital lens look yellowish?

Ordered this lens today as I’m an IT professional in my early 30s.
Am worried that the lens will look yellowish due to the lens hav the UV protect against digital devices.

Does it look yellowish when taking photos wearing this lens?

VodkaPear

Master Member
Reaction score
It has a yellowish hue when you look through it but when ppl see you, it will look bluish or when taking photos.

Thanks bro for the reply.
In this case I think I don’t remove the blue ray protection layer (if this is what it called).

Was worried as my wife specs with the blue ray protection look very yellowish.
I want to hav a lens to look as natural as possible. As long as it don’t look obvious when I wearing it or when taking photos, I think I’m fine..

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Zeiss blueprotect(name of zeiss version) will not be that bad. Don’t worry!
But when taking photo, depending on the angle, might still some slight bluish/purplish reflection. But really slight.

Thanks bro for the reply.
In this case I think I don’t remove the blue ray protection layer (if this is what it called).

Was worried as my wife specs with the blue ray protection look very yellowish.
I want to hav a lens to look as natural as possible. As long as it don’t look obvious when I wearing it or when taking photos, I think I’m fine..

Biogentic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is face shape important when choosing a spectacle shape?

only got 1 pair of spectacle, thinking whether to get another pair.... but probably not lindberg horn (cost too expensive but really love it till today)... thinking any good spec maker that is close to lindberg quality... my pair now look black.. was thinking of getting other colours.. which colour will look youthful huh.. intend to use it for casual friday and weekend.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

only got 1 pair of spectacle, thinking whether to get another pair.... but probably not lindberg horn (cost too expensive but really love it till today)... thinking any good spec maker that is close to lindberg quality... my pair now look black.. was thinking of getting other colours.. which colour will look youthful huh.. intend to use it for casual friday and weekend.

Now where got ppl owns 1 pair..i myself got 10 pairs.. My wife 6 pairs...

Biogentic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now where got ppl owns 1 pair..i myself got 10 pairs.. My wife 6 pairs...

lol ya lo.. i sent my lindberg spec for polishing.. now falling back on a cheapskate jb made specs which i use for my gym... so thinking whether want to buy another one to rotate.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Markus T would be my next go to frame. Thin, sleek, light, durable, cheaper than horn. Can even look professional with it.

EienShouko

Reaction score
I made a pair of Owndays glasses with Transitions Signature Gen 8.
Its AR properties seem worse than my current pair of Zeiss which is 3 years old at this point and after trying it for a week, seemed worse and my eyes cannot adapt.
Is it something else at play here?
My prescriptions are the same.

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
There could be a few possibilities.

1)Frame position on your face differs from both frame, old one sitting closer/further and new one vice versa.

2)lens coating quality affecting clarity

I made a pair of Owndays glasses with Transitions Signature Gen 8.
Its AR properties seem worse than my current pair of Zeiss which is 3 years old at this point and after trying it for a week, seemed worse and my eyes cannot adapt.
Is it something else at play here?
My prescriptions are the same.

Fookie@06

Reaction score
Yes they are good. Lightweight, durable.

I love them. Got my first park close to 10 years back and changes lens twice in the same pair. I was hesitant as it was pricey but very light and comfortable. Took the plunge and never look back.

Limitation will be on the lens availability. I think you can only go for 1.59index, Crizal airware as the material are more robust and tough.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Can consider 1.53 trivex(Hoya), normal 1.6 lenses or even 1.67. Air wear or polycarbonate is tough but sacrifice on clarity.

I love them. Got my first park close to 10 years back and changes lens twice in the same pair. I was hesitant as it was pricey but very light and comfortable. Took the plunge and never look back.

Limitation will be on the lens availability. I think you can only go for 1.59index, Crizal airware as the material are more robust and tough.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.