The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

nethdale

Reaction score
Markus T would be my next go to frame. Thin, sleek, light, durable, cheaper than horn. Can even look professional with it.

Hi Gangsterkia, may I know which shop in Singapore carries Markus T? In general and at least that is for me, their designs look like Lindberg. Thanks.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I know for certain eyewear optics does, you might want to call Jamco to see if they have. Likely they do too.
You are not wrong on the design similarities, both are minimalist style.
Hi Gangsterkia, may I know which shop in Singapore carries Markus T? In general and at least that is for me, their designs look like Lindberg. Thanks.

nethdale

Reaction score
I know for certain eyewear optics does, you might want to call Jamco to see if they have. Likely they do too.
You are not wrong on the design similarities, both are minimalist style.

Thanks for your prompt reply. Jamco? Will ping them soon. Lindberg is from Denmark and Markus T is from Germany. Apart from Lindberg Horn series, the entire price for a pair of progressive lens using Hoya + Markus frame would be similar to Lindberg frame? Just my guessing. Thanks.

PS: just called, they currently do not carry Markus T. Haa. Save money?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I won’t call Markus T another “spare frame” as it would be doing the brand a disfavour. It would be classed under a rotational frame apart from Lindberg.
If you are happy with what you currently have the it be good. If you want some changes then I would encourage you to go for it!

Thanks for your prompt reply. Jamco? Will ping them soon. Lindberg is from Denmark and Markus T is from Germany. Apart from Lindberg Horn series, the entire price for a pair of progressive lens using Hoya + Markus frame would be similar to Lindberg frame? Just my guessing. Thanks.

and_who

Master Member
Reaction score
have a dilemma hope the pros here can help me with.

need to make lenses- both eyes around 400-500 nearsighted, astigmatism about 200.

right now choice is between foptics and "branded lenses"

foptics
1.67 - 1.74 - $70-$140

"branded" eg hoya, essilor (cant remember model range)
1.67 - 1.74 - $220 to $380

Qn is, given that the max I want to spend is up to 300-400, is it worth it to pay more for branded lenses v generic foptics lenses? in terms of clarity..vision.. can it be said branded lenses are at least 50% better?

if do branded lenses, any recommendations where to do with as little markup as possible?

Thank you everyone :)

SNAG

Master Member
Reaction score

For Markus T, you can try Evershine Optical at Toa Payoh. Although they had little models left when I visited them last year. They were switching out to Mykita, which you can consider.

EienShouko

Reaction score
There could be a few possibilities.

1)Frame position on your face differs from both frame, old one sitting closer/further and new one vice versa.

2)lens coating quality affecting clarity
Yeah, I think it might be the frame distance.
The owndays is almost double the distance I think?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Is it possible for you to go back to ask them to adjust the frame closer to you?

At least you can try to rectify it or else it be a wasted pair.

Yeah, I think it might be the frame distance.
The owndays is almost double the distance I think?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Depending on the clarity tolerance of different users. Some like myself, can take any kind of lenses though we can tell the difference but it won’t affect us much.

Others die die just can’t adapt to poorer clarity/quality lenses thus have to use lenses that are better.

Do take note price difference also includes quality/durability of the lens multicoat which means, scratch resistance etc...

I would go with the more branded lenses in this case based on your power but probably 1.6/1.67 rather than 1.74 which is overkill. 1.6 might actually be enough too depending on what frame you choose. Is the frame broad? At least 56/57/58 lens size? E.g. 57/17 57 lens size 17 bridge size.

have a dilemma hope the pros here can help me with.

need to make lenses- both eyes around 400-500 nearsighted, astigmatism about 200.

right now choice is between foptics and "branded lenses"

foptics
1.67 - 1.74 - $70-$140

"branded" eg hoya, essilor (cant remember model range)
1.67 - 1.74 - $220 to $380

Qn is, given that the max I want to spend is up to 300-400, is it worth it to pay more for branded lenses v generic foptics lenses? in terms of clarity..vision.. can it be said branded lenses are at least 50% better?

if do branded lenses, any recommendations where to do with as little markup as possible?

Thank you everyone :)

EienShouko

Reaction score
Is it possible for you to go back to ask them to adjust the frame closer to you?

At least you can try to rectify it or else it be a wasted pair.

I have tried, but they told me they only do power adjustments. I'll just keep it as a spare pair and a lesson learnt.
It's not that bad for sitting in front of the computer and looking mostly straight, just bad if I'm walking around.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
That’s pretty bad... how could they not do adjustment and just power... oh well.. maybe some shops might be able to help you though it be at your own risk. But really..*facepalm

I have tried, but they told me they only do power adjustments. I'll just keep it as a spare pair and a lesson learnt.
It's not that bad for sitting in front of the computer and looking mostly straight, just bad if I'm walking around.

and_who

Master Member
Reaction score
Depending on the clarity tolerance of different users. Some like myself, can take any kind of lenses though we can tell the difference but it won’t affect us much.

Others die die just can’t adapt to poorer clarity/quality lenses thus have to use lenses that are better.

Do take note price difference also includes quality/durability of the lens multicoat which means, scratch resistance etc...

I would go with the more branded lenses in this case based on your power but probably 1.6/1.67 rather than 1.74 which is overkill. 1.6 might actually be enough too depending on what frame you choose. Is the frame broad? At least 56/57/58 lens size? E.g. 57/17 57 lens size 17 bridge size.

Thanks for your response! I have been using cheap lenses all my life so I don't even know what I'm missing, haha.

So between paying 80 dollars and 3++, better to just suck it up and pay for branded lenses? Any recommendations on which place does it at a reasonable price? Instead of essilor/hoya those kinda branded lenses, would a good compromise be Zoff's seiko plastic lenses at 118 for 1.67/156 for 1.74?

Also, my frame is 54-18 and astig about -2.00. any recommendations on the index I should take?

appreciate it again :) going to foptics tonight and would love to have all these info before I head down :)

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Full frame, 1.6 index should be fine, seiko lenses are not too bad. Only if you prefer it thinner then 1.67. 1.74 is too overkill so don’t even have to think about it!

Thanks for your response! I have been using cheap lenses all my life so I don't even know what I'm missing, haha.

So between paying 80 dollars and 3++, better to just suck it up and pay for branded lenses? Any recommendations on which place does it at a reasonable price? Instead of essilor/hoya those kinda branded lenses, would a good compromise be Zoff's seiko plastic lenses at 118 for 1.67/156 for 1.74?

Also, my frame is 54-18 and astig about -2.00. any recommendations on the index I should take?

appreciate it again :) going to foptics tonight and would love to have all these info before I head down :)

and_who

Master Member
Reaction score
Full frame, 1.6 index should be fine, seiko lenses are not too bad. Only if you prefer it thinner then 1.67. 1.74 is too overkill so don’t even have to think about it!

Thanks very much! Got it, Zoff’s 1.60/1.67 lenses for 88 over foptics 1.67 lens for 60 bucks. Will do 😊

nethdale

Reaction score
I won’t call Markus T another “spare frame” as it would be doing the brand a disfavour. It would be classed under a rotational frame apart from Lindberg.
If you are happy with what you currently have the it be good. If you want some changes then I would encourage you to go for it!

Hi, yeah, definitely will be mine rotational frame if I decided to go for it as I like minimalist and clean design. Anyway, I need to visit the bricks and mortar stall to see it. Thanks.

nethdale

Reaction score
For Markus T, you can try Evershine Optical at Toa Payoh. Although they had little models left when I visited them last year. They were switching out to Mykita, which you can consider.

Hi Snag, thanks for the details. Looks like it is a new optical shop next to a coffeeshop? May drop this weekend if I am around this vicinity.

Last edited:

Kaltong

Reaction score
Hi All,

Need advice here, based on below prescription, my neighborhood optical shop (Optique Zone at Bishan) quoted me $850 for Hoya Life Balance lens, which will be upgraded to the next tier due to current promotion.

Is it possible to get cheaper somewhere else? I will be recycling one of my old frame (Charmant Z)

R: +4.50
L: +5.50

CYL: -0.50

Axis: 160

ADD: 1.75 (R/L)

TIA

SNAG

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Snag, thanks for the details. Looks like it is a new optical shop next to a coffeeshop? May drop this weekend if I am around this vicinity.

They are a HDB heartland shop, and have been around for many years. Did my glasses there, and happy with the service. They have a website which you can check out the frames.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.