Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 3

Joe Maya

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I really don’t have much experience with shoes. I wear E&C cement shoes for work now. I used to wear RW Beckmans and Iron Rangers as far as GYW goes. These days i live in chucks 70s and Luna sandals cuz i run nearly barefoot. So my shoe care was always Obenaufs...lots of it. i’m a raw denim kind of guy you see...

So i am researching this forum because my wife and family just gifted me a pair of Aldens and i am getting a ton of information overload. i was reading a very old post by Striker that he does not recommend metal taps. And some people here topy or vibram a layer.

I think climate plays a part and how we rotate. Assuming that i will walk a lot and i will wear them quite a bit, i’m seeking recommendations, please.

initially i am thinking of just wear them, and if the toe gets worn out i will put on a toe cap, but i’m not so sure now.

Work onsite?
Normally i would wear the cheap Kings safety boot or the Chelsea version which is super comfy if i required to use it onsite. Don't want to damage my RW or any top boots. And since it's cheap, you can dispose it every 3 months.

tragic_mouse

Reaction score
Work onsite?
Normally i would wear the cheap Kings safety boot or the Chelsea version which is super comfy if i required to use it onsite. Don't want to damage my RW or any top boots. And since it's cheap, you can dispose it every 3 months.

Ok la. I used to work as IT SI so not that kind of worksites.

So now office based. but still got a lot of walking. thinking if i should toe tap my Aldens

Joe Maya

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok la. I used to work as IT SI so not that kind of worksites.

So now office based. but still got a lot of walking. thinking if i should toe tap my Aldens

If office based but do a lot of working, i recommend those with cushion technology that make your feet comfortable like Rockport or Ecco.

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks man.

So would you apply toe taps on your new leather soles immediately?
Ever since I started wearing welted shoes I have found cemented shoes with cushion insoles with their bounce stresses the ankles in addition to a lack in stability.

I wouldn't put metal toe taps because I don't see the point in them. I just out a sole protector and change them when they're worn out. Those things are relatively cheap and easy to replace.

Sent from Samsung SM-N960F using GAGT

tragic_mouse

Reaction score
Ever since I started wearing welted shoes I have found cemented shoes with cushion insoles with their bounce stresses the ankles in addition to a lack in stability.

I wouldn't put metal toe taps because I don't see the point in them. I just out a sole protector and change them when they're worn out. Those things are relatively cheap and easy to replace.

Thanks for input. Sometimes need to strengthen ankles.

I run barefoot (or nearly barefoot) for this reason. So actually wearing shoes is very weird for me.

For me my soles wear out really fast that's why I consider the toe taps.

May I ask, your sole protector; is it pasted on, or your cobbler files down the leather then apply the rubber? (so it maintains the height and design of the outsole)

Also, who's your cobbler, please. :s12:

theblueark

Reaction score

I run barefoot (or nearly barefoot) for this reason. So actually wearing shoes is very weird for me.

May I ask, your sole protector; is it pasted on, or your cobbler files down the leather then apply the rubber? (so it maintains the height and design of the outsole)

My vibram half rubber soles have not worn out after years of wearing. I usually only need to replace the heels.

Most cobblers like those at the Mr Minit franchisees can add the half rubber soles properly by filing down the leather (ask them first if you're worried). I used to go to the guy at the Holland Village MRT who does pretty good work, but i'm not sure if he's still there.

My last 2 pairs were done by Mason and Smith. I recommend them if you want guaranteed good work.

tragic_mouse

Reaction score
My vibram half rubber soles have not worn out after years of wearing. I usually only need to replace the heels.

Most cobblers like those at the Mr Minit franchisees can add the half rubber soles properly by filing down the leather (ask them first if you're worried). I used to go to the guy at the Holland Village MRT who does pretty good work, but i'm not sure if he's still there.

My last 2 pairs were done by Mason and Smith. I recommend them if you want guaranteed good work.
Thanks. I may just check out Mason.

Were the prices reasonable in your opinion?

theblueark

Reaction score
Thanks. I may just check out Mason.

Were the prices reasonable in your opinion?

I don’t recall the exact price difference but I don’t remember it being too great. Call to ask? Mason gives me a piece of mind since it’s obvious the owner is super passionate about shoes (he was the world shoe shining champion sometime back).

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I used either Shukey or Mason & Smith. Prices are comparable but Mason & Smith is more convenient since there is free pickup/delivery and the option for shoe polishing. However they come at a slight premium.

Same as theblueark i only ever have issues with heels.

tragic_mouse

Reaction score
I used either Shukey or Mason & Smith. Prices are comparable but Mason & Smith is more convenient since there is free pickup/delivery and the option for shoe polishing. However they come at a slight premium.

Same as theblueark i only ever have issues with heels.

Thanks. I called them. I texted CNES too, they are lower though. I’ll think about it tmr.

I don’t recall the exact price difference but I don’t remember it being too great. Call to ask? Mason gives me a piece of mind since it’s obvious the owner is super passionate about shoes (he was the world shoe shining champion sometime back).

Thanks. I’ll weigh between them and CNES. Reason being CNES are shoe makers first after all.

Last edited:

kumarsutra

Reaction score
Hey guys, Happy Chinese New Year to you all.

I am looking to get myself a pair of loafers (either penny or horsebit, leaning more towards penny) for causal wear.

Budget is about below 500.

Is there any local shops that I could get the following brands:

Loake
Meermin
GH Bass

I saw Carminas online site but the prices are steep, yet to visit the store.

Any there any other brands you guys would recommend or should I get bespoke?

Who would be a good option for bespoke loafers?

I am not comfortable buying online as I am sure of the size and would like to try on to get the right fit.

Thank you for taking your time to guide me, bros.

Stay safe and happy holidays.

Last edited:

SBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I had just changed my sole using Vibram at $65.

Is it too ex?

jonleelk

Master Member
Reaction score
U can try Yanko from Seamless. Within your price range.

https://seamlessbespoke.com/collections/mens-footwear/products/yanko-penny-loafer-915-dark-brown

I am looking to get myself a pair of loafers (either penny or horsebit, leaning more towards penny) for causal wear.

Loake
Meermin
GH Bass

I am not comfortable buying online as I am sure of the size and would like to try on to get the right fit.

spencert

Reaction score

Loake
Meermin
GH Bass

Or TLB @ Yeossal - https://www.yeossal.com/collections/tlb-mallorca-rtw-collection

jimbb80

Reaction score
Hi all,

Has Ed Et Al closed down?
The website is offline and when I call I cant get through.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.