Android TV Box

wongminmin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
does evpad got smooth buffering?
Why not if it can be done? It's always nice to have options. I know some elderly people whom rather browse web on tv than on their mobiles.
using phone or browse web on tv is hard for elderly. The most easy way is voice search.

tv box is mainly for multimedia usage.... browser is just additional feature.
if want to use browser on tv, might as well use mini pc with better specs, keyboard and mouse..

hi all, thanks to all the experts here for sharing good info on TV boxes.

I need advice on my current problem...

I have been using an old Android box running on Android 6. My TV is not compatible with Digital TV, n is connected to this box via HDMI.

Up to a few days ago, I was happily using this box mainly for:
1) Mewatch - to watch local TV channels since I cannot use Digital TV
2) Viu - to watch dramas
3) the occasional Youtube video

However a few days ago, they forced us to use the latest version of Mewatch, there was an error n I cannot watch local channels live anymore.

I have been reading up, at first I was hoping that by buying a new box would solve my problem, but to my understanding it is not straightforward at all:

A) if I buy a new box with Android TV OS (Google certified)
I can use Google Cast (Chromecast built-in) to cast to my TV, from my Mewatch app on my phone, phone --> TV box --> TV
But I cannot use Viu anymore n I have to pay for Viu Premium to cast the same way as Mewatch.

B) if I buy a new box with Android OS (meaning phone OS)
I cannot do Google Cast, but I can still install Viu app n watch on TV for free without cast. To watch local channels, I have to replace my TV which I plan to do soon (as it is quite old).

May I know is there is a better option than the above 2? Please correct me if my understanding of Option A n B is wrong.

Thanks in advance!!

i don't like chromecast cause it consume your phone battery.

see your budgets ba.....

1. Smart Tv with inbuilt dvb-t2 ($???)
2. dvb-t2 receiver ($15) + mi tv box s ($70)
3. dvb-t2 receiver ($15) + chromecast ($50) / mi tv stick ($35)
4. Install mewatch older version.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i don't like chromecast cause it consume your phone battery.

you are confused. suggest you read more to find out what is chromecast and how the casting is done

No, chromecast won't drain your battery.

only miracast cast or screen mirrorring drain battery.

if you use chromecast, you can power off the phone completely without affecting the video on TV.

wongminmin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you are confused. suggest you read more to find out what is chromecast and how the casting is done

No, chromecast won't drain your battery.

only miracast cast or screen mirrorring drain battery.

if you use chromecast, you can power off the phone completely without affecting the video on TV.

Yes i know. chromecast run standalone directly from the internet without draining the phone resources.

However, the chromecast still interact with your devices and user still need to use the devices as a remote control.....

Yes, i know can power off while playing chromecast.......but u still need the remote control.

i not sure about your habit.......but this is based on my own experience.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes i know. chromecast run standalone directly from the internet without draining the phone resources.

However, the chromecast still interact with your devices and user still need to use the devices as a remote control.....

Yes, i know can power off while playing chromecast.......but u still need the remote control.

i not sure about your habit.......but this is based on my own experience.

no, phone as remote control is optional.

you can use the tv box remote to control the video after you chromecasted the video.

wongminmin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just ordered SVIClouds 3Pro. Hopefully don’t get disappointed.:s13:

svicloud not bad....not much buffering. the only cons is mostly for malaysia users.

the experts suggest the best combo is
TV box + yearly subscription or DIY.

Wicked76

Reaction score
I have this situation where I hope the experts here can help me solve.

1. PC is on ground level. This is where are the media files are kept. Movies, photos etc.
2. Projector room is at basement. Together with PS4 and Ubox all connected to AV receiver.

Recently, Ubox died. PS4 is also giving me alot of problems. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

Used to copy video files from PC to a external HD, walk downstairs and plug it in Ubox or PS4 to watch the clips or movies. However this is now not possible since both devices died. I can only watch TV via Ubox as I cannot receive any signals in the basement. Not even phone signals.

How can I watch TV, Netflix (used to be via PS4) and play my movie files from the PC upstairs?
Will getting a Mi box work for me? Chromecast 2020 do not have a USB port to connect my external HD? Internet cables split to all rooms including basement. That's how I connect Netflix to internet.

It might really sounds noob to many, but I hope I can get some advice here. Not really playing games so not thinking of getting PS5.

snooper

Reaction score
How about using Plex Pass?

1. PC is on ground level. This is where are the media files are kept. Movies, photos etc.
2. Projector room is at basement. Together with PS4 and Ubox all connected to AV receiver.

Recently, Ubox died. PS4 is also giving me alot of problems. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

Used to copy video files from PC to a external HD, walk downstairs and plug it in Ubox or PS4 to watch the clips or movies. However this is now not possible since both devices died. I can only watch TV via Ubox as I cannot receive any signals in the basement. Not even phone signals.

How can I watch TV, Netflix (used to be via PS4) and play my movie files from the PC upstairs?
Will getting a Mi box work for me? Chromecast 2020 do not have a USB port to connect my external HD? Internet cables split to all rooms including basement. That's how I connect Netflix to internet.

It might really sounds noob to many, but I hope I can get some advice here. Not really playing games so not thinking of getting PS5.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

your basement has lan point, you can connect the device to the lan point, alternatively, install an AP or router in AP mode, then you can use run your mibox there.

your pc should be connected to the same network, you can play file via network, don't have to use extenal hdd.

Darkshadows

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone has recommendation on very fast Android TV Box? Budget $150 - $250. Thanks in advance!

I can't stand my current TV box which is very slow. Everything is slow by 1/2 beat. Even wifi connection bars on the tv box were way lesser compared to my phone and old tablet. Tv apps run smoothly on my old tablet but on the tv box, it will stutter or even worse, repeat the same scene again and again. At times it will just keep loading n loading.

magixz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone has recommendation on very fast Android TV Box? Budget $150 - $250. Thanks in advance!

I can't stand my current TV box which is very slow. Everything is slow by 1/2 beat. Even wifi connection bars on the tv box were way lesser compared to my phone and old tablet. Tv apps run smoothly on my old tablet but on the tv box, it will stutter or even worse, repeat the same scene again and again. At times it will just keep loading n loading.
Buy nvidia shield

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 9S using GAGT

Darkshadows

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Buy nvidia shield

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 9S using GAGT

Thanks for the recommendation. Looks good in terms of the specs, just too bad it doesn't come with spdif port. Since I'm only watching streaming media, I'll go with the tube version.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

the problem might be due to the apps you used. if this is the case, the same will happen on your new nvidia shield :)

Darkshadows

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the problem might be due to the apps you used. if this is the case, the same will happen on your new nvidia shield :)

I have the same suspicion in the beginning and you may be right but since my tv box is rather old, I think I'll take this as an upgrade. I can't stand the super laggy cursor and response from my air mouse.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have the same suspicion in the beginning and you may be right but since my tv box is rather old, I think I'll take this as an upgrade. I can't stand the super laggy cursor and response from my air mouse.

as long as it is not older than 8 year, it should still good enough to run most apps.

what you need to do is to disable google play, play services , chrome or other browser.

if you are looking for a "new" box, mibox s is recommended. It is "new" because it is 3-4 year-old.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Good evening. I am looking for a simple and low cost tv box with wireless function to install some tv apps apk.
Any recommendations ?

Thank you very much.

deepblue_82

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi pros, if my tv cant support for inbuild apps.
which android tv box is good for youtube netflix and disney +?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.