The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Renzokukenz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh that sounds cool.

Correct me if i'm wrong, 300 for lenses and 300 for frame?
If that's the case, i would say 300 could get you a pretty decent/nice frame.

(hey man appreciate your replies)

hmmm as in total all in is $600 loh
but of course cheaper better

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Good chance for it to be cheaper. If you want even cheaper, you can opt for Pentax lens. Can shave off about 100+ from your lens to add into frame.

(hey man appreciate your replies)

hmmm as in total all in is $600 loh
but of course cheaper better

Renzokukenz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good chance for it to be cheaper. If you want even cheaper, you can opt for Pentax lens. Can shave off about 100+ from your lens to add into frame.

I still havent find the right frame to be honest

not willing to compromise on the lenses actually
and actually prolly won't hit $300 unless whichever frame i finally choose ends up needing ultra thin

I initially wanted to go for aviator frames
(since I look really good wearing aviator sunglasses)
but then the double metal piece above the nose bridge.... i just don't have strong eyebrows to pull off the look

looking at something like this but better:

https://www.owndays.com/sg/en/products/MM1006B-0S?sku=4805

Last edited:

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I can recommend you now,
1.67 matrix HD
1.67 jazz HD
1.67 calligraphy
1.67 Asahi uv3g
All about 500-700. Should last you 3 years or hopefully more too.

You sure such lens coatings can last 3 years or not. Quality and clarity leh? Will lose out alot to hoya/nikon/seiko or not? If lose out then quality to value ratio will still be low. I have bought SV lens about $300 previously the coating and vison are not good enough. Wear for toilet breaks or doing chores or jogging can, but for more vison demands CMI.

I think you dont understand my perspective. Not saying the shop marking up prices or cheating customers. I am talking about the lens manufacturers. You misunderstood all that i have put across. Cost prices are set by the brands wat also not by the retailers.

Anyway where to get the type of brands u mentioned above? Any optical shop will carry?

Last edited:

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That’s why the lenses are more expensive as it’s value/quality is worth the price you pay. So it’s like paying 300-400/year for 2-4 years. Not really very expensive Ma. I mentioned it’s much better, but I did also mention lifestyle v+ is good enough too. And lifestyle v+ is likely below 1.4K for the lenses for 1.67 index. As long as it’s 1.67 if you want to go above average tier, most Better Brand would be around 1k and above.

If mystyle is abt $1.5k i will think it is wu hua to get it rather than lifestyle balansis because lifestyle balansis already $1k.

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
I see, If that is the case, Then how would you suggest they explain the price difference of the same photochromic lenses but from different lens company?
By the brand itself? You can say X brand photochromic is superior to Y brand photochromic

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Morning,
Yes, I seen customer that lenses about more than 4 years, only have some scratches. But if you prefer to be on the safer side then you can choose the bigger boys lenses.

You sure such lens coatings can last 3 years or not. Quality and clarity leh? Will lose out alot to hoya/nikon/seiko or not? If lose out then quality to value ratio will still be low. I have bought SV lens about $300 previously the coating and vison are not good enough. Wear for toilet breaks or doing chores or jogging can, but for more vison demands CMI.

I think you dont understand my perspective. Not saying the shop marking up prices or cheating customers. I am talking about the lens manufacturers. You misunderstood all that i have put across. Cost prices are set by the brands wat also not by the retailers.

Anyway where to get the type of brands u mentioned above? Any optical shop will carry?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Most shops in Singapore are currently doing that, they call Hoya Zeiss Shamir tokai asahi Essilor oss apollo photochromatic lenses as transitions too.
Just that over here I opted to go a little more in detail and call them by their respective brand name.
Even when I’m back at retail, I also just call them transitions as that’s what all the customers I faced referred them as.

By the brand itself? You can say X brand photochromic is superior to Y brand photochromic

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
Most shops in Singapore are currently doing that, they call Hoya Zeiss Shamir tokai asahi Essilor oss apollo photochromatic lenses as transitions too.
Just that over here I opted to go a little more in detail and call them by their respective brand name.
Even when I’m back at retail, I also just call them transitions as that’s what all the customers I faced referred them as.
I guess cos most ppl know transition as photochromic cos that's the most common lens type ppl make? Something like ppl associate pampers as diapers. But for other lens features? I still think should standardised for all

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I believe to have an edge on the other competitors, they won’t settle for being standardised. Just like cpu graphic cards, they cnt be same, some must edge the others out. Ray tracing, this and that...
just like transitions now is gen 8, fades into clear and then dark quicker, Hoya is still going to release their sensity 2 in future that will have similar features.

I guess cos most ppl know transition as photochromic cos that's the most common lens type ppl make? Something like ppl associate pampers as diapers. But for other lens features? I still think should standardised for all

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
I believe to have an edge on the other competitors, they won’t settle for being standardised. Just like cpu graphic cards, they cnt be same, some must edge the others out. Ray tracing, this and that...
just like transitions now is gen 8, fades into clear and then dark quicker, Hoya is still going to release their sensity 2 in future that will have similar features.
There, you can explain clearly mah even without using confusing terms.
Essilor photochromic gen 8 > Hoya photochromic gen 2
Graphics cards are consumer products. Lens are consumer products too but at the same time medical products thus should not be so confusing. Tiagong in other countries, spectacles are treated strictly as medical products and not retail products....sg law too lax

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi gansterkia, with due respect, i hope you can let me know the prices of 1.67 mystyle lenses so that i can assess whether i should take it or just lifestyle balansis.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Hi boss, are you saying these competitors are like copying each other and trying to edge each other out? By the way, are essilor progressives good enough? Their varilux on par with lifestyle bslansis?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey,
1.67 mystyle profile 1330
Lifestyle v+ 1220
Balansis 1120
All these are rrp and of course will have discount.

Hi gansterkia, with due respect, i hope you can let me know the prices of 1.67 mystyle lenses so that i can assess whether i should take it or just lifestyle balansis.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I would not say copying rather just try to be on the same level and maybe extra plus factors.

Varilux comfort 3.0 similar to Hoya dynamic premium

Varilux Physio 3.0 similar to lifestyle V+

Varilux X-track similar to mystyle profile

Balansis inbetween comfort and physio.

Hi boss, are you saying these competitors are like copying each other and trying to edge each other out? By the way, are essilor progressives good enough? Their varilux on par with lifestyle bslansis?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
It’s the general way it’s explained to the public, most people knows it as transition for all Brand’s. Just that over here, many of us prefer to have a more detailed explanation thus I try to be more specific. If you don’t like that, then I will *try* to explain closer towards what you prefer.
Honestly I am just here to help and not here to promote my workplace or any. So it’s best if you want the best detailed knowledge, your optical shop will be able to provide.

There, you can explain clearly mah even without using confusing terms.
Essilor photochromic gen 8 > Hoya photochromic gen 2
Graphics cards are consumer products. Lens are consumer products too but at the same time medical products thus should not be so confusing. Tiagong in other countries, spectacles are treated strictly as medical products and not retail products....sg law too lax

Last edited:

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Lifestyle v+ 1220
Balansis 1120

My bad, forgot to ask the highest tier mystyle v+ price.

Wow mystyle price has pummelled. Really good value now. Very competitive now. Top up only less than $200 can upgrade from balansis to mystyle!

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Lifestyle v+ 1220
Balansis 1120

Prices are with blue control?

My optician very ngau. Give 5% lens discount nia even after so many years patronage.

Last edited:

foxer77

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How is "lenskart " ?

been seeing promotion running in FB & website.... price seem reasonable

peaceheart

Banned
Reaction score
It’s the general way it’s explained to the public, most people knows it as transition for all Brand’s. Just that over here, many of us prefer to have a more detailed explanation thus I try to be more specific. If you don’t like that, then I will *try* to explain closer towards what you prefer.
Honestly I am just here to help and not here to promote my workplace or any. So it’s best if you want the best detailed knowledge, your optical shop will be able to provide.
Understand it's your fault, just the optical industry and brands products names can be confusing. You have been a great help here, foc somemore haha

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.