Starting TrueNAS Core/TrueNAS Scale for New Users

bert64

Reaction score
k529OpF.jpg

any idea why i can't run any program through my nas now? i already set permission to full control

Some security software and settings disallow execution of files stored on network shares, especially shares which are accessed without auth or which are not part of the current domain.. have you checked such things on the client system?

Also accessing by ip instead of hostname is not a recommended practice.

croc1977

Banned
Reaction score
Some security software and settings disallow execution of files stored on network shares, especially shares which are accessed without auth or which are not part of the current domain.. have you checked such things on the client system?

Also accessing by ip instead of hostname is not a recommended practice.
then which host name should i use? i can't access through hostname only ip

it's my own home system what should i set on my pc?

bert64

Reaction score
then which host name should i use? i can't access through hostname only ip

it's my own home system what should i set on my pc?

The nas should be announcing its hostname via llmnr... whatever you called it, possibly with .local on the end.

Some routers will also let you create dns entries..

Windows 10 tightens up restrictions on network shares by default, for instance it won’t let you access older servers using smbv1 by default and can restrict execution.. you might need to mark the location as trusted before it will let you execute.

croc1977

Banned
Reaction score
The nas should be announcing its hostname via llmnr... whatever you called it, possibly with .local on the end.

Some routers will also let you create dns entries..

Windows 10 tightens up restrictions on network shares by default, for instance it won’t let you access older servers using smbv1 by default and can restrict execution.. you might need to mark the location as trusted before it will let you execute.
don't understand

croc1977

Banned
Reaction score
If the nas is called nas01 you should usually be able to access it at \\nas01 by default, how it does this is using netbios or llmnr
i can't leh....

ip no issue cos im using static on the nas

bert64

Reaction score
i can't leh....

ip no issue cos im using static on the nas

That’s not the reason, windows will use a weaker form of authentication when accessing by ip instead of host. Probably not much of a concern on a trusted network but it’s a bad habit and not recommended for this reason.

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
k529OpF.jpg

any idea why i can't run any program through my nas now? i already set permission to full control

The file is in your NAS? You can copy over to your Windows pc?

Did you set the ACL permissions?

Watch this and reset your ACL.

Last edited:

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
try substituting the up for truenas in the path u used before

means what?

I recommend you reset your ACL on TrueNAS, then map the drive in your Windows. I suspect you have not set the ACL properly. A few setting to note:
i) Ensure the permission are set to apply "Recursively" under the data set,
ii) Create proper user and group under "Accounts"
iii) Select the user and group and ensure that you check the box "Apply user" before saving the ACL
iv) Use the ACL manager to set the ACL and select the pre-set "Restricted" ACL policy

After doing so, you can easily map the NAS by keying the IP. Eg:
1) Choose the Drive letter
2) key in the IP "\\192.168.X.XX"
3) Click browse, if you have set ACL and password, it will request for user log in.
*If you could not map your drive, you might not have set your SMB shares and ACL properly. Recommend to reset.

Do take note that if you have set native encryption to your TrueNAS drive pool, you will need to unlock it every time you reboot in order to access. For home and new users, I recommend to disable native encryption. Unless you know what you are doing. If not, you will lose your data if you lose your keys.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
manage to run after resetting acl but can't delete files in nas

This is common problem when the dataset ACL was not set properly. Use the advanced ACL manager, not the generic user access to set the permission.

Do not to use the default user "root" and group "wheel".
1) Set new users and group under "Accounts",
2) select "edit permission" under the data set, (right side with 3 dots)
3) choose ACL manager
4) select "restricted" ACL pre-set,
5) check "apply permission recursively"
6) then select the pre-set user/group in the yellow boxes,
7) make sure the user/group boxes are checked before save

3DdLzBA.jpg

Last edited:

croc1977

Banned
Reaction score
This is common problem when the dataset ACL was not set properly. Use the advanced ACL manager, not the generic user access to set the permission.

Do not to use the default user "root" and group "wheel".
1) Set new users and group under "Accounts",
2) select "edit permission" under the data set, (right side with 3 dots)
3) choose ACL manager
4) select "restricted" ACL pre-set,
5) check "apply permission recursively"
6) then select the pre-set user/group in the yellow boxes,
7) make sure the user/group boxes are checked before save

3DdLzBA.jpg
i5mRs0G.jpg

Last edited:

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Check the apply permission recursively below and check the box to apply user and group. Do ensure you create new user and group. Not use the default user/group of root and wheel.

When you map your SMB share drive on Windows, you will be prompted to input the username and password. It will be the same password you set in your ACL.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.