Strange startup behaviour

ComputerTime

Reaction score
Hi,

My PC startup behaved strangely lately.

On the 1st start up of the day, it is not detecting my M.2 SSD. Only when I power down, and power up again, it can then detect the SSD and startup normally. Other sata SSD and HDD can be detected.

Repowered the PC subsequently during the day can start up normally.

I have resit the graphics card, SSD, and RAM, and the SSD and HDDs, and even changed the CMOS battery. It still have this behaviour.

My setup that is coming to 4 years:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 1600
MB: Asus Prime B350 Plus
RAM: 16GB Cosiar RAM
M.2 Samsung M.2 960 EVO, 256GB

Power supply, Cosair 850W, I cannot remember how long it is used. Most likely 7+ year. But looking at the initial start up, the power supply seems to be healthy.
Reading from the BIOS at the initial startup:

Voltage:
+12V: 12.099V,
+5V: 4.932V,
+3.3V: 3.335V

CPU Core Voltage: 1.231 V
RAM voltage: 1.200V

Please advise what should I do to further isolate the issue.

Regards.

jasonwsc

Reaction score
Well I had this same issue and my SSD (Intel 660p) failed after half a year, so...

Probably time to make a backup and buy a new SSD/send it in for warranty.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you have a spare SSD (SATA or M.2), clone the OS to that SSD. Take out the 960 evo and boot with the cloned SSD to test if the problem recurs.

ComputerTime

Reaction score
Thanks,

As mentioned in my original post, the MB can detect my Sata SSD and other 3 HDD, and it should be able to boot. So, the main issue is it cannot detect the M.2 SSD.

So, I am not able to detect if the problem lies at the MB, or M.2 SSD, or the power supply (My previous built has a not so good power supply, and thus giving me some problem).

Now, I am pondering whether to get another M.2 SSD just to isolate the problem or not.

By the way, is there any adapter available for me to mount my MicroSD card onto a M.2 card? So, I do not need to get any additional storage?

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
had similar issue of ssd not detecting. changed psu and ssd same issue.

ComputerTime

Reaction score
I removed the m.2 ssd and reinstalled win10 onto my sata SSD. everything works well until now.

So, I believed the m.2 ssd is somehow faulty. Now thinking of getting a adaptor to make it USB drive or another PCI adapter to use it.

ComputerTime

Reaction score
Just an update.

I discovered a dying HDD. After removing the HDD, The system is able to boot up during the initiate startup. No further delay.

Will continue to monitor the situation.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can use:

- Crystaldiskinfo to check your hard disk health.
- For Samsung SSD, you can use Samsung Magician to check it's health.
Run benchmark if it restarts or crash the SSD is most likely faulty.

SkyShroud

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just an update.

I discovered a dying HDD. After removing the HDD, The system is able to boot up during the initiate startup. No further delay.

Will continue to monitor the situation.
Thanks for the update

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.