Which MBA?

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check with u guys something

shld I choose a MBA base on the uni ranking overall or focus on the accredition

if a sch ranking is high but their business sch is practically unranked and not accredited?

or shld I choose a uni that ranking is 188, but is triple crown accredited?

if u asking UIUC, that’s a MS management program. The bschool will be AACSM accredited however the other 2 may not apply.
In reality one go to good uni to network. A paper will not get you very far. I know ppl with UCLA MBA, Chicago MBA, UMICH ROSS MBA. No network, still avg joe in the company. Ppl no big degree but network play the right games annual promotion, while these ppl still play with sand.

fun read.
https://poetsandquants.com/2020/06/...ine-mba-news&pq-category-3=pq-gies-highlights

software_developer

Reaction score
if u asking UIUC, that’s a MS management program. The bschool will be AACSM accredited however the other 2 may not apply.
In reality one go to good uni to network. A paper will not get you very far. I know ppl with UCLA MBA, Chicago MBA, UMICH ROSS MBA. No network, still avg joe in the company. Ppl no big degree but network play the right games annual promotion, while these ppl still play with sand.

fun read.
https://poetsandquants.com/2020/06/...ine-mba-news&pq-category-3=pq-gies-highlights
yea my question is

is accreditation more important or the school overall ranking?
which one matter more to HR?

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yea my question is

is accreditation more important or the school overall ranking?
which one matter more to HR?

HR only gets your resume to the hiring manager. HR does decide for the manager.
HR don’t keep a list of accredited uni or ranking to pass resume along.

even HR didn’t pass it along, if manager want to interview you. U get the interview!

Ryuken_rukawa

Reaction score

compro_1975

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just looking at my options.... does MBAs from NTU, NUS or SMU have exams or just presentations? I lecture in poly so I dun really have much time for exams.... but if presentation it should be a good stepping stone for me.

DataScience

Reaction score
Hi guys, just looking at my options.... does MBAs from NTU, NUS or SMU have exams or just presentations? I lecture in poly so I dun really have much time for exams.... but if presentation it should be a good stepping stone for me.
Typically for MBA, most classes have presentations + exams.

wa1ker

Reaction score
Any recommendation on Online EMBA program with good reputation and reasonable fee?
EMBA usually can complete faster, 12-18 months timeframe.

INSEAD - good, very very expensive
NUS, NTU, SMU - good, still very expensive

Any other international ones to consider?

Ryuken_rukawa

Reaction score
There's ESSEC-Mannheim EMBA. Approx. SGD 70K after scholarship and early bird deduction. Or you can consider the MBA at Manchester Business School as well. However, the best schools in Singapore are the ones you've mentioned in your post.

DataScience

Reaction score
Any recommendation on Online EMBA program with good reputation and reasonable fee?
EMBA usually can complete faster, 12-18 months timeframe.

INSEAD - good, very very expensive
NUS, NTU, SMU - good, still very expensive

Any other international ones to consider?
In Singapore, those are the best ones available. Insead is probably the best ranked (top 5 in world).

Otherwise I'd say:
- Columbia (if you want go into finance)
- Stanford (if you want to stay in the west coast). [I love the environment at stanford, really really nice]
- Harvard (if your creds are good enough to get in)

Gambler.

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I have some queries about mba and want to ask those who have taken or are currently taking. Currently in my early 30s, married no kids. About 8 of working exp in Finance. I’m interested in broadening my network and hope to have a different trajectory of my career. But I’m quite weak in academics, so really unsure if I can get a decent gmat score.

1. What’s the split like between curriculum vs project work?

2. Without a good GMAT, is it feasible to apply?

3. Part time vs full time. Which one you took and why

4. What happens if you fail any of the modules?

cjhj56

Reaction score
SchoolRankingUK rankingCentreCourseFeeDuration (PT)Duration (FT)
Cardiff Metropolitan University801–1000
79​
DIMENSIONSMBA$ 21,592.60
12​
University of Strathclyde401–500
23​
DIMENSIONSMBA$ 40,500.00
24​
University of Dubuque, Iowa
2857​
Aventis School of ManagementMBA
12​
Roehampton University London801–1000
78​
Aventis School of ManagementMBA$ 22,800.00
California State University
1819​
Aventis School of ManagementMBA$ 56,000.00
12​
Anglia Ruskin University301–350
117​
FTMSMBA$ 20,000.00
12​
University of Greenwich601–800
98​
LSBFMBA$ 18,000.00
18​
12​
Northumbria University351–400
57​
KaplanMBA$ 23,326.00
15​
Birmingham City University601–800
90​
KaplanMBA$ 26,750.00
12​
Bangor University401–500
62​
MDISMBA$ 23,540.00
12​
University of Adelaide
118​
NAAMBA$ 36,240.00
24​
Coventry University601–800
PSBMBA$ 16,999.00
20​
16​
Heriot Watt University351–400
EAIMMBA$ 27,950.00
12​
De Monfort University601–800
119​
EAIMMBA$ 13,888.00
12​
University of Northampton1001-1200
90​
Amity Global InstituteMBA$ 16,888.00
12​
Queen Mary University of London
Amity Global InstituteMBA$ 28,999.00
12​

cjhj56

Reaction score
Compiled this list earlier, thought can share with you guys.
Im 30, never been in management post. Worked as PA for past few years and gain good experience. Married with no kids. I took up data analyst courses SGUPskills and hoping to go into Business analyst or similar.

I dont think many here, including me can afford 24 months or 80-100k like some of you here prompting big and expansive names uni. Instead of "might as well buy cert" as some comments here on lower ranked unis, I rather find "value". Value as in ranking with price and duration as factor. I understand there are other factors like method of delivery, coursework or exam based evaluation and future ranking.

Future ranking potential factor might be huge in these "cheaper" MBA. One such example is De Monfort was ranked 61 in UK in 2020, pretty decent. The current rank(2021) is 119. You can almost say the MBA became "worthless" overnight as 119th is as good as worst unis in UK where as 61 is like +- top 5 UK MBA you can get in Singapore.

I am still deciding as Coventry University has excellent and stable reputation and cost, but the 20 months is hard to swallow. Heriot Watt University is better at only 12 months but the 30k cost is rather steep for a 30 year old.

GameTheory

Reaction score
Compiled this list earlier, thought can share with you guys.
Im 30, never been in management post. Worked as PA for past few years and gain good experience. Married with no kids. I took up data analyst courses SGUPskills and hoping to go into Business analyst or similar.

I dont think many here, including me can afford 24 months or 80-100k like some of you here prompting big and expansive names uni. Instead of "might as well buy cert" as some comments here on lower ranked unis, I rather find "value". Value as in ranking with price and duration as factor. I understand there are other factors like method of delivery, coursework or exam based evaluation and future ranking.

Future ranking potential factor might be huge in these "cheaper" MBA. One such example is De Monfort was ranked 61 in UK in 2020, pretty decent. The current rank(2021) is 119. You can almost say the MBA became "worthless" overnight as 119th is as good as worst unis in UK where as 61 is like +- top 5 UK MBA you can get in Singapore.

I am still deciding as Coventry University has excellent and stable reputation and cost, but the 20 months is hard to swallow. Heriot Watt University is better at only 12 months but the 30k cost is rather steep for a 30 year old.

It's great that you've put effort in researching and compiling this data, kudos on that.

To be honest, I don't see any of the Uni you listed worth the money... namesake and reputation are very important for an MBA to bring value to one's career. And given the list above, there is negligible difference between them.

I concur with many of the above posters: if you can't enrol to an M7 / INSEAD, or at the very least - the local 3 major unis. Then your best bet is opt for the cheapest one possible (employers won't know the difference between them)

cjhj56

Reaction score
Thank you for appreciating. It's hard work as some sketchy local private schools do not list all information.

Your last sentence is the point I was trying to put across. Actually i wouldn't say employers completely wouldn't know about though.

I believe Queen Mary from University of London umbrella is prestigious. My degree from RHUL in kaplan is also part of the UOL umbrella. The best uni under the umbrella is LSE, excellent and stable ranking. Notable grads include our ministers. I believe certification wouldn't include amity global.

Con is probably 30k. I believe ive read somewhere the written examinations is extremely tough too.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.