The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve been reading in this forum and Hoya, Zeiss and Essilor are the top 3 brands often recommended. Has anyone tried Kodak Easy Regular progressive lens?

Thanks.
Hi there,
Kodak easy is an entry level progressive lenses. Depending on the user level of tolerance, some might be satisfied with the lens whereas other might feel there are more distortion when wearing the lenses.

lance88

Reaction score
Does anyone have existing lens(from previous specs) and bought new Oakley frame only from online, able to get local shops to help to fix together? Mine is half frame though.

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Have anyone have existing lens(from previous specs) and bought new Oakley frame only from online, able to get local shops to help to fix together? Mine is frameless though.
Hi,
frameless sunglasses or frameless optical series?

If it’s the frame sunglasses, Is it the EV zero series? Path etc...?

lance88

Reaction score
Hi,
frameless sunglasses or frameless optical series?

If it’s the frame sunglasses, Is it the EV zero series? Path etc...?
No it's optical series, I have one Oakley transistor and another is lizard. Both intent to switch to new Oakley frame (don't mind even back to same model like lizard)

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
No it's optical series, I have one Oakley transistor and another is lizard. Both intent to switch to new Oakley frame (don't mind even back to same model like lizard)
I believe some places can do a transfer for you but likely at a fee. Also, if the lenses are damaged in the process then they will not be liable.
However if you purchase the lens from the optical shop then of course if there is any damages, the shop will rectify it.

nethdale

Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia,
Would like to seek your advice on making sunglasses + prescriptions, refer to Rayban (RB3025, blue), this original RB's lens is already polarised and in you expert view, does it seem to have mirror effect or just purely polarisation?
For a person with a power of about 575 degree, let's rule out the thickness at the bottom of the lens and its weight, I would like to know, to cut cost, does it make sense to go for eg 1.6 index Essilor Xperia Polarised (Grey) lens instead of 1.67 index Essilor Xperia Polarised (Grey) lens?
Other than Essilor Xperia, does Hoya has similar stuff?
Thank you very much.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia,
Would like to seek your advice on making sunglasses + prescriptions, refer to Rayban (RB3025, blue), this original RB's lens is already polarised and in you expert view, does it seem to have mirror effect or just purely polarisation?
For a person with a power of about 575 degree, let's rule out the thickness at the bottom of the lens and its weight, I would like to know, to cut cost, does it make sense to go for eg 1.6 index Essilor Xperia Polarised (Grey) lens instead of 1.67 index Essilor Xperia Polarised (Grey) lens?
Other than Essilor Xperia, does Hoya has similar stuff?
Thank you very much.
Hey,
the original RB lenses are polarised and I believe however, not mirror coated or at most *flash mirror* meaning, slightly reflective.

you can consider the option of 1.60 just that I feel the lenses will be quite thick as the RB frame itself size is wide. Thus the wider it is, coupled with the prescription, might cause the lens to be front heavy. Maybe will fall forward,hence 1.67 would be a better choice. If you prefer a more affordable lenses, there are cheaper other Brand’s polarised lenses in the market too just that quality would not be as good as the Zeiss/Essilor etc level.

lance88

Reaction score
I believe some places can do a transfer for you but likely at a fee. Also, if the lenses are damaged in the process then they will not be liable.
However if you purchase the lens from the optical shop then of course if there is any damages, the shop will rectify it.
Thanks, any idea what the fee like and the probability they will even offer this or outright reject?

Edit: Typo, not frameless, it's actually half frame

Last edited:

fanflo_08

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia,

I am thinking of doing a new set of specs. My current set has been with me for quite a number of years already.
I have high astig. about 250 to 300 deg. Doing a lot of computer work.
Any recommendations of lenses to go for?
I am currently using ic berlin. Thinking of going for lindberg ones. Any recommendations?
I live near west coast. any recommended shops to go?
how do you wash/maintain them usually? Coz I have an oily face, and wash my glasses daily.

Last edited:

nethdale

Reaction score
Hey,
the original RB lenses are polarised and I believe however, not mirror coated or at most *flash mirror* meaning, slightly reflective.

you can consider the option of 1.60 just that I feel the lenses will be quite thick as the RB frame itself size is wide. Thus the wider it is, coupled with the prescription, might cause the lens to be front heavy. Maybe will fall forward,hence 1.67 would be a better choice. If you prefer a more affordable lenses, there are cheaper other Brand’s polarised lenses in the market too just that quality would not be as good as the Zeiss/Essilor etc level.
Thanks for your reply. I have studied few options. Apart from the fact it would be slight thicker and thus add slight weight to the overall frame. Polarisation may not be so crucial, though it is good to have as it won't be wearing for an extended period, also, it is not the primarily specs. Possible option would be Hoya, tinted + Nulux mirror with 1.6. I guess you know the pricing for Zeiss for full UV protection? It is much higher. I learnt something new today, for progressive, I would go for Hoya option and if it is only distance, it is either Hoya or Essilor and if die die must have polarisation, only left with Essilor? Haa.

nethdale

Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia,

I am thinking of doing a new set of specs. My current set has been with me for quite a number of years already.
I am currently using ic berlin. Thinking of going for lindberg ones. Any recommendations?
how do you wash/maintain them usually? Coz I have an oily face, and wash my glasses daily.
Hi, just sharing before Ganksterkia replies you. Sorry for occupying the bandwidth
Heard IC Berlin is hosting a trunk show soon in Singapore.
I am a die hard fan of Lindberg. It is so addictive and I am speaking from my personal experiences.

lance88

Reaction score
I have another enquire as I'm thinking to bring my parent down to make laohua specs. Their current specs are single focal and in quite bad condition. I saw lenskart have the option for bifocal at 188 and progressive at 298 (somemore with 1for1). I saw the difference between these two but what are the actual world difference and any recommendations which to go for?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks, any idea what the fee like and the probability they will even offer this or outright reject?

Edit: Typo, not frameless, it's actually half frame
Are they actually the same frame? If it’s same frame then some shops might do it for free but again at your own risk.(dmg to lenses when removing the washer(nylon string holding your lenses).
If they are not the same frame e.g. lizard to lizard 2 or lizard to transistor, then the shape may have to be altered and that might cost you in a range of 20-50 dollars? But again this varies from different retailers.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia,

Hey!
Whenever I see individuals considering Lindberg, I get very excited myself to share my experiences and I believe there are others here that can relate to me.
Depending on your spherical power(e.g. myopia or hyperopia) if it is high, then you may want to consider the Acetanium series as the thickness of the frame can mask your lens thickness. Or my favourite, the N.O.W series. They are extremely lightweight, pretty durable for a rough user like me(I wore my Lindberg to reservist for outfield haha).
If you are staying at the west, unfortunately there are so few retailers carrying Lindberg at that area. Could I recommend you to travel further to e.g. jamco, eyewear optics to have a look at the models too?
Maintaining glasses would generally be rinsing my glasses under running water, then using tissue or paper towel to dab try(not rubbing), lastly my micro fibre cloth(NOT clothing haha)to clean the smudges. Lindberg doesn’t oxidise e.g. green gunk appearing on the nosepads or between the lenses. Those greenish gunk are not algae FYI, it’s caused by the screws on your frame which are not titanium and they oxidise over time.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I have studied few options. Apart from the fact it would be slight thicker and thus add slight weight to the overall frame. Polarisation may not be so crucial, though it is good to have as it won't be wearing for an extended period, also, it is not the primarily specs. Possible option would be Hoya, tinted + Nulux mirror with 1.6. I guess you know the pricing for Zeiss for full UV protection? It is much higher. I learnt something new today, for progressive, I would go for Hoya option and if it is only distance, it is either Hoya or Essilor and if die die must have polarisation, only left with Essilor? Haa.
You got most of it right. Honestly Zeiss has really superb distance just that their reading tends to fall short to Hoya and Essilor.
is there a particular reason why you would prefer having a polarised lenses? The add on cost could actually be used to maybe improve the tier of your lenses or even go for photochromatic options.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I have another enquire as I'm thinking to bring my parent down to make laohua specs. Their current specs are single focal and in quite bad condition. I saw lenskart have the option for bifocal at 188 and progressive at 298 (somemore with 1for1). I saw the difference between these two but what are the actual world difference and any recommendations which to go for?
Firstly Bifocal are lenses that have the visible line on the lenses itself. Basically it has 2 area of vision, the top segment is for distance and the lower segment is for near. There will be no intermediate vision at all for the bifocals. Bifocals do have different designs though e.g. round segment, E-line, etc.
Progressives do not have that line, it looks just like any normal type of lenses Except, it allows you to see Far,Intermediate(computer) and of course near.
Some might ask then why choose bifocal if they have only 2 viewing distances? There are a variety of reasons but the common one would be because for bifocals, it is an immediate change when you scroll your eyes from distance to near zone. This reduces the adjustment of having to roll your eyes through the intermediate zone to reach the reading zone at the bottom which is taxing to some individuals. They prefer to immediately be able to read well when they roll their eyes to their reading zone.
But the perks of progressives are individuals that would require to use computers/laptops and needing to read documents simultaneously, can view all 3 distances at the same time.(though i would recommend using an office lens if you intend to use the computer/reading at near for more than 6-8hrs).
Depending on your budget, 200-300 kodak easy, stellify, zeiss light, 400-600, essilor comfort 3.0, physio 3.0, hoya dynamic premium, lifestyle v+, Zeiss precision plus. more than 700 you can look at essilor X-series, hoya mystyle profile, zeiss superb.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
do take note some elderly prefer to go traditional by wearing 1 pair of glasses to view far, and switching to another to view near. So, it depends on their needs and the practitioner to cater/manage their expectation.

nethdale

Reaction score
You got most of it right. Honestly Zeiss has really superb distance just that their reading tends to fall short to Hoya and Essilor.
is there a particular reason why you would prefer having a polarised lenses? The add on cost could actually be used to maybe improve the tier of your lenses or even go for photochromatic options.
Hi Gangsterkia, how is your work today, hope everything is fine with you. There is no prior knowledge on such polarisation and tinted etc. After sharing my little research with my pal, he is kind of inclined to tinted with mirror.

FYI and I also believe you know that Lindberg has a latest series xxx-titatium but I could not recall the name. Haa

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.