Cheap DVB-T2 STB from PRC

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the upgraded version is on the k2 used in my living room where I need to get a new remote

this is another k2 used in my room which I wanna try if the latest firmware can fix the reboot issue without changing the remote

Oic.

How long was the STB running before rebooting occur? Did you replace the heatsink on your set?

Psyres

Master Member
Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know where to get a better heatsink to replace the one in K2 / K3? Or would strapping a CPU fan to it help with the cooling?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know where to get a better heatsink to replace the one in K2 / K3? Or would strapping a CPU fan to it help with the cooling?

Refer to post#2, newer model should come with a decent heatsink, not those rubbish black aluminum sheet!

The size of the Soc processor is 15x15mm so just get something bigger than that. I settled for 22x22x10mm heatsink from ebay. It come with thermal adhesive tape for easy installation.

deckcard

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi brothers, I'm looking for a Digital TV recorder for my mom to record some TV programs while she is out. She was used to record programs using VCR but those days are over since we are going digital hence she is stuck now.

Is there a box out here that can recommend?
1) able to setup multiple time recordings?
2) can still watch other channels while recording?
3) got box with 2 tuners so can record 2 programs (optional)?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi brothers, I'm looking for a Digital TV recorder for my mom to record some TV programs while she is out. She was used to record programs using VCR but those days are over since we are going digital hence she is stuck now.

Is there a box out here that can recommend?
1) able to setup multiple time recordings?
2) can still watch other channels while recording?
3) got box with 2 tuners so can record 2 programs (optional)?

1. Yes, multiple timing on same/different channel

2. Not possible unless both channel happened to be on the same frequency band

3. There are but quite expensive, better to get 2 STB instead

deckcard

Master Member
Reaction score
1. Yes, multiple timing on same/different channel

2. Not possible unless both channel happened to be on the same frequency band

3. There are but quite expensive, better to get 2 STB instead
Thanks, which STB would u suggest? Box that has no thermal issues and can also record in small file size?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks, which STB would u suggest? Box that has no thermal issues and can also record in small file size?

Any PRC made STB will do the job.

As for thermal issues, older model come with a thin black aluminum sheet acting as heatsink which tend to have issue on prolong usage. Newer model come with mini heatsink. Refer to post#2 for reference.

Add: Recorded program is TS format, which is basically the RAW native format (uncompressed) thus the file size is rather large.

Last edited:

deckcard

Master Member
Reaction score
Any PRC made STB will do the job.

As for thermal issues, older model come with a thin black aluminum sheet acting as heatsink which tend to have issue on prolong usage. Newer model come with mini heatsink. Refer to post#2 for reference.

Add: Recorded program is TS format, which is basically the RAW native format (uncompressed) thus the file size is rather large.

Thanks for the info. Is there better STB that can do h264 or something encoding so the file size will be small? Not sure the file size of .ts, say 720p 1 HR TV program will be roughly what size?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Is there better STB that can do h264 or something encoding so the file size will be small? Not sure the file size of .ts, say 720p 1 HR TV program will be roughly what size?

Not that I know of, these STB has limited processing power and memory to begin with.

IIRC, 1hr of HD (@1080) recording require about 4GB of diskspace.

karltansg

Banned
Reaction score
Refer to post#2, newer model should come with a decent heatsink, not those rubbish black aluminum sheet!

The size of the Soc processor is 15x15mm so just get something bigger than that. I settled for 22x22x10mm heatsink from ebay. It come with thermal adhesive tape for easy installation.

Oh I ned this - will check this item out, thanks for the info bro!

Psyres

Master Member
Reaction score
Just to highlight my experience here, and why I probably need to get a different box.

Bought the K2 Plus as linked from the first page (https://www.qoo10.sg/g/425687059) several months ago. It work well in a brief test and I left it alone. It was only sometime ago when I discovered that the box only works for 15 mins tops showing local channels, before the system hangs and becomes unresponsive until a hard restart by turning the main power off and waiting for 5 mins before powering it up again. And even after the restart, it barely lasts a couple of minutes before hanging again.

I suspected that it could be an overheating issue; asked about heatsink and upgraded the existing one that came with it. The hanging problem persisted, even when I left the cover open to allow quicker heat dissipation. It seems I might have a dud here and I probably need to try something like the Ukobox instead.

When it worked, it worked perfectly though. Hope to find something that works without hanging the next round.

Last edited:

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to highlight my experience here, and why I probably need to get a different box.

Bought the K2 Plus as linked from the first page (https://www.qoo10.sg/g/425687059) several months ago. It work well in a brief test and I left it alone. It was only sometime ago when I discovered that the box only works for 15 mins tops showing local channels, before the system hangs and becomes unresponsive until a hard restart by turning the main power off and waiting for 5 mins before powering it up again. And even after the restart, it barely lasts a couple of minutes before hanging again.

I suspected that it could be an overheating issue; asked about heatsink and upgraded the existing one that came with it. The hanging problem persisted, even when I left the cover open to allow quicker heat dissipation. It seems I might have a dud here and I probably need to try something like the Ukobox instead.

When it worked, it worked perfectly though. Hope to find something that works without hanging the next round.

Seem like you got a lemon set, thought the K2 plus already came with a real heatsink not that rubbish black aluminum sheet!

I assumed you have already tried doing a factory reset by now. What is the existing firmware version? Might want get in touch with seller and request new firmware to test out before getting a new set.

Psyres

Master Member
Reaction score
Seem like you got a lemon set, thought the K2 plus already came with a real heatsink not that rubbish black aluminum sheet!

I assumed you have already tried doing a factory reset by now. What is the existing firmware version? Might want get in touch with seller and request new firmware to test out before getting a new set.

The heatsink was the proper one. I just thought overheating was the problem and went ahead to upgrade it. Seems like that might not have been the primary issue.

Noted on the suggestions. I'll try reaching out to the seller. In the meantime, I'll probably just go ahead with a separate purchase; as the setup, if it had worked, would be done for my relative as well. My relative is not going to spend time and energy to troubleshoot, so if Ukobox is plug and play like they claim to be, I'll probably just go with that.

Last edited:

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The heatsink was the proper one. I just thought overheating was the problem and went ahead to upgrade it. Seems like that might not have been the primary issue.

Noted on the suggestions. I'll try reaching out to the seller. In the meantime, I'll probably just in ahead with a separate purchase; as the setup, if it had worked, would be done for my relative as well. My relative is not going to spend time and energy to troubleshoot, so if Ukobox is plug and play like they claim to be, I'll probably just go with that.

Overheating is usually the cause of the problem. IIRC, there are a few chip/area whereby it get heated up fairly quickly. I went ahead to add in a few mini heatsink on them just in case. So far both my K2 and K3 box work without issue for prolong period, though the latter 7-digits display is acting up.

Most of these STB are PnP, just need tune to the correct frequency range. Do get your Ukobox from local seller for easy support, not sure if there oversea seller for this box.

Good luck.

raychoy

Reaction score
@deckcard ..what did you buy ?

Or Can anyone else help ?
I also need a simple EPG tv recording box for channel 8 recording.
Must be able to support external USB HDD.
Bought a dvbT2 box which uses 5v input and cannot support USB external hard disk properly.
Thumbdive recording is fine

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Or Can anyone else help ?
I also need a simple EPG tv recording box for channel 8 recording.
Must be able to support external USB HDD.
Bought a dvbT2 box which uses 5v input and cannot support USB external hard disk properly.
Thumbdive recording is fine

Most STB come with recording feature and thus will come with USB 2.0 port for external drive.

Does your external drive work without issue on all of your PCs? I come across external drive that doesn't work well on PC and require Y-cable to tap another USB port. Or perhaps the USB port on your STB are just unable to supply enough "juice" to power your external HDD.

Personally I recommend using flash drive for recording, less issue with HDD power saving feature and drive failing.

raychoy

Reaction score
@albertlee Thank you for your reply.
I bought this from Shopee and am not happy as cannot support my external HDD. Thumbdrive ,no problem.I think its because it only running on 5V input.
The EPG interface to record is unusual as its from the programlist and not a Timer List based.No Start and End timing input.
https://shopee.sg/Digital-TV-Active...-HDMI-cable-Local-Warranty-i.84101.1981652583
Was looking at this but seller say no Timer List Recording
https://shopee.sg/product/199688177/6553170476?smtt=0.199691289-1621524704.9

Can recommend one with Timer List Recording ?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@albertlee Thank you for your reply.
I bought this from Shopee and am not happy as cannot support my external HDD. Thumbdrive ,no problem.I think its because it only running on 5V input.
The EPG interface to record is unusual as its from the programlist and not a Timer List based.No Start and End timing input.
https://shopee.sg/Digital-TV-Active...-HDMI-cable-Local-Warranty-i.84101.1981652583
Was looking at this but seller say no Timer List Recording
https://shopee.sg/product/199688177/6553170476?smtt=0.199691289-1621524704.9

Can recommend one with Timer List Recording ?

Most of these PRC made STB either come with built-in or power brick supplying 5V, 2A output. Flash/thumb drive usually have no issue unlike external HDD which need more juice to run.

As for recording, it can either be done via scheduled start/stop timer or via EPG but the former can only be done in block of minutes, meaning can't set timer to stop at 31mins for a half hour show. My memory is a bit hazy on this part as it been a long time since I last watch TV using STB, nowadays only watch news on my PC.

Would be helpful if you can post your STB hardware/software info.

ABuNeNe

Banned
Reaction score
my k2 with the black aluminum sheet keep getting restarting every now and then, any buttie got any heatsink to spare?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my k2 with the black aluminum sheet keep getting restarting every now and then, any buttie got any heatsink to spare?

I used up all my 22x22 mini heatsink, only left with 15x15 one. Think It would be cheaper to get it from ebay rather than sending it to you via snail mail locally.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.