❓ Poll: What's your main motivations for upgrading from HDB to Condo?

What's your top 5 motivations to upgrade from HDB to Condo?

• Facilities (e.g. pool, sauna, tennis court, BBQ, carpark, security)

Votes: 65 43.0%
  • Environment / ambiance (e.g. views, landscaping, architectural design)

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • Location (e.g. geographical location, surrounding neighbourhood vibe)

Votes: 48 31.8%
  • Prestige

Votes: 35 23.2%
  • Types of neighbours

Votes: 41 27.2%
  • Monetary gain (considerations for both LH/FH are accepted)

Votes: 63 41.7%
  • Don't really need one, but better secure one first before it gets even more expensive

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • Don't really need one, but found a deal too good to pass (e.g. fair value, fire sale, low interest)

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Peer pressure

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Just a dream to own one :)

Votes: 33 21.9%

• Total voters

NiShiZhu

Banned
Reaction score
Got opposite the market mah, warren buffet say de… go when others are scared… 2000 unit shiok lah, people will love the project~ don’t waste my friend rebate me 50k commission Mah.
Then why u still can’t sleep at night? :o

Passerboy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then I’m gonna continue to stay with my parents and peenoise ceca along flora Drive……
This is funny. Treasures better than Flora Drive la. Don’t worry even if price crash likely won’t crash below Treasure first batch entry price given that EC land bid is now $603psf/ppr. Many more here have bigger stake to lose.

wetdreamx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is funny. Treasures better than Flora Drive la. Don’t worry even if price crash likely won’t crash below Treasure first batch entry price given that EC land bid is now $603psf/ppr. Many more here have bigger stake to lose.
Now I feel happier~

kpkb

Reaction score
I can’t sleep because I’m going to report my friend for offering me rebates… let his CEA kangtong or pay me $hutup…
Tiagong the one who accept the rebates punishment more jialat :o
Don’t think anyone will go jail la. At most agent license gets suspended for breaking their ethical code. Sharing a referral fee is not illegal as it is a known business practice in many industries, especially banking. No one is breaking any law when they earn money lawfully and want to share with another person.
Just that CEA deems such behaviour unethical. Unethical is not always equal to illegal.

NiShiZhu

Banned
Reaction score
Don’t think anyone will go jail la. At most agent license gets suspended for breaking their ethical code. Sharing a referral fee is not illegal as it is a known business practice in many industries, especially banking. No one is breaking any law when they earn money lawfully and want to share with another person.
Just that CEA deems such behaviour unethical. Unethical is not always equal to illegal.
His balls shrink after buying treasure so I scared him a bit Loh. :o

Xanthyon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TL;DR - I'm just waiting to collect keys next month and enjoy my new condo :o

I recently bought a resale 2BR condo without going through the HDB route. Intention is for own stay since this is my 1st property :o

A lot of the reasons on why I went straight to condo without buying HDB first are personal/highly dependent on my personal circumstances.
  • Covid-19 situation made me want to have my own space.
    • I need some space to WFH and siblings are WFH too
    • ** period last year made it difficult to meet my gf without risking breaking laws
  • Can't buy any HDB until 35 since I'm 31yo and single
  • I balloted for 3 new condo launches and failed each time cuz I got lousy ballot number for all 3 launches zzzz
  • New condo launches construction timeline got affected/delayed by Covid-19, even longer wait to have a ready flat.
    • Renting a 2BR unit = monthly cash outlay of $2k as expense
    • Buying a 2BR resale = monthly cash outlay of ~1k towards an asset
  • Can't qualify for BTO or even EC cuz my income combined with gf already overshot the BTO/EC ceiling by a long shot (both our annual income are 6-digits each)
  • We both have lived in HDB since young and want to live in condo - that's our dream
  • Found a nice high-floor unit in a development which TOP'd less than 2 years ago for a good price (owner is a PRC who went back to motherland for good and want to quickly dispose the unit)
  • Got a home loan interest rate at 1.28% which is almost free money. My stocks gain % is way higher than 1.28% :o
  • Even though I will marry my gf next year, I registered as the single owner for this 2BR unit and I can comfortably service the DP + monthly loan on my own. Given our income trajectory, it is very likely we will upgrade to a bigger unit next time when we have kids (not anytime soon though) and we can just buy the new condo under her name to avoid the whole decoupling nonsense.
I'm aware that I'm in a very privileged/fortunate situation, so since I have the financial means to afford a condo, I'll just leave the HDB for people who need it more :o

daheigou999

Reaction score

I recently bought a resale 2BR condo without going through the HDB route. Intention is for own stay since this is my 1st property :o

A lot of the reasons on why I went straight to condo without buying HDB first are personal/highly dependent on my personal circumstances.
    • ** period last year made it difficult to meet my gf without risking breaking laws
  • I balloted for 3 new condo launches and failed each time cuz I got lousy ballot number for all 3 launches zzzz
  • New condo launches construction timeline got affected/delayed by Covid-19, even longer wait to have a ready flat.
  • Can't qualify for BTO or even EC cuz my income combined with gf already overshot the BTO/EC ceiling by a long shot (both our annual income are 6-digits each)
  • We both have lived in HDB since young and want to live in condo - that's our dream
  • Found a nice high-floor unit in a development which TOP'd less than 2 years ago for a good price (owner is a PRC who went back to motherland for good and want to quickly dispose the unit)
  • Got a home loan interest rate at 1.28% which is almost free money. My stocks gain % is way higher than 1.28% :o
  • Even though I will marry my gf next year, I registered as the single owner for this 2BR unit and I can comfortably service the DP + monthly loan on my own. Given our income trajectory, it is very likely we will upgrade to a bigger unit next time when we have kids (not anytime soon though) and we can just buy the new condo under her name to avoid the whole decoupling nonsense.
I'm aware that I'm in a very privileged/fortunate situation, so since I have the financial means to afford a condo, I'll just leave the HDB for people who need it more :o
Congrats bro :o

TouringSG

Reaction score

Side topic, but are you from financial sector?

scanner007

Reaction score
Nope, IT strategy consulting. My gf is a doctor.
Congrats!
Which IT consulting firm you working with(big 4?) and sector you specialize in?
5 digit pays at such a young age in IT is not common, depends on what kind of specialization.

Forever84

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Gxgx

good thing u buy resale and never get ballot for new launch else by the time house finish building u maybe have a kid laio lol

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.