how do ppl rmb coding techniques?

jinsatkilife

Reaction score
Other than practice/experience, how do you remember or take note of coding techniques that are interesting or useful so you can go back and revise?

Do you keep a word document with the code in it, screenshots, or have a jupyter notebook?

I'm looking for a jupyter notebook type of solution so I can remember all the important concepts..any thoughts?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Other than practice/experience, how do you remember or take note of coding techniques that are interesting or useful so you can go back and revise?

Do you keep a word document with the code in it, screenshots, or have a jupyter notebook?

I'm looking for a jupyter notebook type of solution so I can remember all the important concepts..any thoughts?
Techniques of something often exhibits in numerous forms. If you think you have learnt something, you don’t really need to make a note that you learnt. That is what it means by learning. Human memories are not written in permanent inks, we often relate by similarities and patterns. If you really learnt something and not memorise it, then what you have acquired would be the form of the technique. The premise at which you employ the technique, the process of the technique, the deliverables of the technique and also caveats of the technique. That is what I would deem as you understood and you learnt. If like some cases where you simply “return it to teacher” after some years, then you didn’t really learnt it.

For me, I always believe. If you really like something, you don’t learnt it because you need to, but you want to. When you want to, it always stays with you. You think about it. :)

I don’t need to record down what I need, at least i keep bookmarks of sites that I have visited. Even so, what really keep knowledge coming back to me, is searching for new techniques to do the same thing. This way you will learn more forms and you get to consolidate this forms into your own.

Last edited:

huntzer

Reaction score
I used to take note in a notebook, print them out and file them. Now i take my note in markdown format.

Just use something that you are comfortable to start. Then change to something when you feel there are benefits in changing.

I do think that choosing the right tools and starting right is important, but dun let it cloud your goals and take away what you need to focus on.

Trader11

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Techniques of something often exhibits in numerous forms. If you think you have learnt something, you don’t really need to make a note that you learnt. That is what it means by learning. Human memories are not written in permanent inks, we often relate by similarities and patterns. If you really learnt something and not memorise it, then what you have acquired would be the form of the technique. The premise at which you employ the technique, the process of the technique, the deliverables of the technique and also caveats of the technique. That is what I would deem as you understood and you learnt. If like some cases where you simply “return it to teacher” after some years, then you didn’t really learnt it.

For me, I always believe. If you really like something, you don’t learnt it because you need to, but you want to. When you want to, it always stays with you. You think about it. :)

I don’t need to record down what I need, at least i keep bookmarks of sites that I have visited. Even so, what really keep knowledge coming back to me, is searching for new techniques to do the same thing. This way you will learn more forms and you get to consolidate this forms into your own.
I think you have photographic memory?! Most people will forget what they learned....

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any example? If you learn Spring boot, then how to remember the concepts without any notes?
Since you quoted Spring Boot, what concepts of Spring boot do you think there is? Let’s list them out :)

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I use a very simple approach. I keep code snippets in text file and give it a meaning full name. For example, cwd.js for current working directory for javascipt, JSONparse.js, https.js etc and source url link. As time past, these codes are refined and improved.

TheLordOfGifts65x

Reaction score

leetcode and codewars, make sure you remember the problem and read through the community solutions rated best for best practices and smartest, then try to reproduce the solution code via memorizing the original problem

Trader11

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
leetcode and codewars, make sure you remember the problem and read through the community solutions rated best for best practices and smartest, then try to reproduce the solution code via memorizing the original problem
Is this really a good way? Memorising solutions instead of thinking?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How many things can you really "remember" ? How notable are they to leave a deep impression in your brain ? Do you believe your brain works like a static memory bank, or more like a dynamic neural network that have so many complex layers of hidden nodes that just keep firing in adapted paths which gives you the illusion of memory. Would you believe your brain can actually reconstruct memories on the fly by inference or simply just fetching a piece of information lying dormant somewhere ?

Last edited:

Trader11

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How many things can you really "remember" ? How notable are they to leave a deep impression in your brain ? Do you believe your brain works like a static memory bank, or more like a dynamic neural network that have so many complex layers of hidden nodes that just keep firing in adapted paths which gives you the illusion of memory. Would you believe your brain can actually reconstruct memories on the fly by inference or simply just fetching a piece of information lying dormant somewhere ?
I believe tacit memory is stronger than retrieval memory. There are things you know after doing it many times.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I believe tacit memory is stronger than retrieval memory. There are things you know after doing it many times.
Doing sometimes is not a physical act. I believe it is the notion of repeatedly thinking about it too.
Thinking about the problems from time to time, branching the thoughts into different areas of the same fundamentals.
Keep your thoughts alive, not static. :)

jgyy1990

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
personally I wonder where is the end goal for these coding challenges? perform well enough in order to ace thru interviews?

TheLordOfGifts65x

Reaction score
well my friend, you need to know the syntax of the coding practices and the libraries they use. if not compiler will just throw you weird error, very ngeow one. need precise syntax. practice and memorize frequently. best is find fun problems and keep solving them, change the problem into one more complicated one, and write out your own solution to it. cannot escape via shortcuts

Last edited:

TheLordOfGifts65x

Reaction score
personally I wonder where is the end goal for these coding challenges? perform well enough in order to ace thru interviews?
ya, cuz companies are very particular and ngeow about good, readable coding practices. coding interview problems is just the examiner wan see whether you can adapt well to their existing coding practices (which tend to be highly concise at the better companies); they dowan their senior engineers and other engineers to see a new engineer's code to be so verbose, they high blood pressure.

TheLordOfGifts65x

Reaction score
Doing sometimes is not a physical act. I believe it is the notion of repeatedly thinking about it too.
Thinking about the problems from time to time, branching the thoughts into different areas of the same fundamentals.
Keep your thoughts alive, not static. :)
very true. instinct, intuition, change of perspective, all must do like ninja.

TheLordOfGifts65x

Reaction score
repeatedly doing the problems builds basic intuition. if you want higher intuition you must cast the net wide, read latest research papers, and try to apply your old intuition onto new, more complicated problems. Basic syntax of "clever", "concise" coding techniques require memory one; one wrong syntax and the compiler will f**k us up

jgyy1990

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ya, cuz companies are very particular and ngeow about good, readable coding practices. coding interview problems is just the examiner wan see whether you can adapt well to their existing coding practices (which tend to be highly concise at the better companies); they dowan their senior engineers and other engineers to see a new engineer's code to be so verbose, they high blood pressure.
coding challenge website normally do not perform linting as a criteria to pass each challenge, how to even make sure the candidate do not write spaghetti code?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.