[INFO/SIC] Coffee stuff !!

tortoise18

Banned
Reaction score
Considering the 1zpresso $200+ onamazon.
Currenty using the javapress manual grinder bought on shopee, good enough but for espresso not fine

TaoEhh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeh, fully manual can look at the Commandante or the JX Pro.

As for pourover coffee kit, get the usual scale + kettle and either a Bee house dripper w/ Melitta filters or a v60 w/ its filters. Won't go wrong with either .. and easy to clean up. Can also get a metal filter to enjoy the coffee oils and aroma :coffee:
Is metal filter same as paper? I know paper filter less coffee oil, might taste less sour. But would there be retention of aroma?

Amaterasu

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any coffee experts know where to get this kind of ceramic/ clay mugs ? The material is very very different from normal mugs, very porous and slightly rough.

I want something simple and without that smooth glaze coating. I find that coffee kinda taste better in it ......

poSqvPo.jpg

wUpaumr.jpg

WBA0zup.jpg

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Metal filters and nylon filters let in quite a few of the oils for a more aromatic brew. But they are cheap and durable and can create a unique taste that you might like to drink once in a while.

Coffee w/ paper filters are aromatic of course, but since a lot of the oils have been absorbed, the aroma you get is a lot less than w/ more of the coffee oils present.

Here's a pretty nice intro to coffee drippers - dunno if you have seen already, but is a good watch - turn on the subs :D

is hario dripper better or aeropress better?

need a cheap and fast for morning cup.

those disposable drip bags price are getting ex. :(

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got any affordable electric coffee grinder recommendations?

usually use v60 with paper filter to brew coffee, kinda lazy to manually grind coffee nowadays...

sacredrays

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ideally below S$80 have or not?

S$200 i think i just continue to use manual grinder

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
those atas manaul grinder got different?

using a cheap hario plastic one for many years, use, wash and throw aside to dry.

tiagong metal ones cannot wash? :o

tomb

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is hario dripper better or aeropress better?

need a cheap and fast for morning cup.

those disposable drip bags price are getting ex. :(

maybe the new hario mugen dripper.

lls0101

Master Member
Reaction score
Both also good ..
But since you talking about "fast" .. I'd prolly go with a Hario dripper. 6 - 7 minutes includes weighing coffee, grinding, brewing and throwing/washing the filter (ceramic or glass).
Can also consider the Kalita Wave w/ a flat bed wave paper filter as well ..
Using the Baratza Encore for a few years now .. is quite good for pourovers. Some other EDMWer posted a Baratza Virtuoso pic earlier in this thread also
:)

I'm using a Kalita wave. It had served me well for more than 3 years. Just need to take note that Kalita will drop slower compared to Hario since it's a flat bed with 3 smaller holes.

Not really that much slower. Maybe Hario takes 2 min while Kalita will take 3 min. Might means better extraction too (or over extraction).

I'm using boncafe filter. Cheaper and good enough for my daily cup.
IMG-20210612-095953.jpg

TaoEhh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone has issue with Moka Pot producing sour coffee?

Could it because i use boiling hot water in chamber? Never tamp? Soap to clean the pot?

amoro123

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think it's grind size. should grind smaller to stop the flow rate?

putting hot water for moka pot is for faster brewing and lesser burning taste( due to shorter brew time )

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

TimsTom

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody knows where to buy and how to make the kopi from kopitiams? should be able to save alot money if i just make them myself.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.