M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any WiFi 6 router to recommend for 500mbps?

Router recommendation will be the same for 500Mbps and 1Gbps.

Asus RT-AX58U/82U/86U, depending on your budget. Asus wins with features and long term support.

Right now Courts has very good offer for RT-AX86U and RT-AX82U.

textshitpost

Reaction score
As far as i'm aware, neither come with a free router. I believe M1 bundle a phone line whereas Starhub do not.

Don't worry about free routers, if the ISP is giving it away for free that should tell you something. You're much better off buying a decent router off the shelf. You'll have more choices, and you'll be able to reuse the router with any provider - some of the ones supplied by ISPs are locked to their service and become e-waste if you switch providers.

Godamn the linksys ea8100, need to unplug Ethernet and reboot to access 192168101(yet alone smart wifi) lest it be stuck on infinite waiting spining circle, and that means can't see who's connected, can't view recent wan connections/ports, no easy way to dis/reconnect to get a new IP(like my n56u Asus that just zombied on my with dead lan ports...wifi worked though till I reset it and locked myself out), can't adjust wifi tx power/beacon interval or whatever, ipv6 likely doesnt allow privacy extension standard, it's like a prison compared to padavan

adderrs

Reaction score
My side at North East also facing this issue. my download and upload is 600Mbps and below and when the technician come down, it is shocking to hear that is the typcal speed when getting their 1Gbps plan.

anyone have any idea what is the committed speed for 1Gbps plan for M1?

Yup, my situation is probably the same as yours.

K6wsMgS.jpeg

My previous long-winded post detailing my wired connection speed - https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...ussion-part-2.5658375/page-413#post-134529221

Anyway, long story short, the previous speed was:
  • 250mbps to 360mbps between 6am to past midnight till around 1am+
  • 920mbps between 2am to 6am
After escalating to M1, they did something at their backend. Called me the next day. Asked me to shut down my modem, router, etc. and wait for 10mins before rebooting.

Right after that, my day time speed has improved tremendously from 250mbps to now 600+mbps. Should I be happy? I guess I should. More than doubled previous speed during day time. My hunch still remains -- some very hardcore heavy user(s) in my block/neighborhood consuming all the bandwidth while M1's system in segregating bandwidth between different subscribers doesn't prove to be effective. 😩

As always, all tests conducted with wifi disabled on router.

Last edited:

adderrs

Reaction score

Asus RT-AX58U/82U/86U, depending on your budget. Asus wins with features and long term support.

May I ask what are the offers you've seen at Courts for 86U and 82U?

How does it compare to these online offers:
https://www.courts.com.sg/asus-rt-a...x5700-dual-band-wifi-6-gaming-router-ip165546
https://www.courts.com.sg/asus-rt-ax82u-ax5400-dual-band-wifi-6-gaming-router-ip163007

adderrs

Reaction score

86U's performance looks really good.

KOMeOyZ.jpeg

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/asus-rt-ax86u-and-rt-ax82u.6315347/page-50
As per the above thread, using promo code JUNE6181 at Courts online. You may need to be fast.

RT-AX86U Gundam version at S$312.20 [S$419 - S$90 (22% off cap at S$90) - S$16.80 = 312.20]
RT-AX82U at around S$239.82 [S#329 - S$72.38 (22% off) -S$16.80 = S$239.82]

RikkoAnne

Reaction score
This is not common and should not occur. As jasonho mentioned it might be caused by a faulty modem/ont. If the modem is faulty, M1 should replace it for you for free.

But such problems could also be caused by your own router or wifi signal which would not be M1's fault or within their remit to fix. Try with a wired connection to the router if you can, and see if problems still occur.
Thank you! M1 changed the modem, seems to be working now *fingers crossed*

RikkoAnne

Reaction score
It happened to my bro M1 connection before. Even changing router doesn't help.

How long have you been on M1 and using the same modem? I suspect its the modem power supply as thats what happened to my bro. After they come down to change to a new modem, everything is stable.
Thank you! Called M1 again and this time there's an option to select "internet connectivity issue" in the phone menu so I chose that, and M1 changed the modem today, so far it seems to be working but *fingers crossed* and hope it continues to work.

Cbreeze

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I really envy those who have shared your superb speedtest result which I can only dream of even for those >500Mbps...

I am currently with Starhub 1Gbps plan without contract and using their default Linksys EA8100 router and this is my Speedtest result on most days :sad::sad:😔

I was told in most instance, the wireless router is likely the bottleneck. I am contemplating to switch to M1 1Gbps plan and to decide on my options below:
1. 39.90/mth with free Asus RT-AX55 as my secondary node and buy either the AX86U or AX89X and wire backhaul as my primary router
2. 3 mth free promo and top up $13/mth for the AX88U as my primary router, monitor internet speed for a month and decide if to purchase a AX82U or AX86U as my secondary node. While I read raved review about the AX88U, I am also aware it has been launched for close to 3 years and is quite an old model, Do you face any issue with this model?

What will be your advice on the above and also the choice of Asus router models? I am not a gamer and internet is mainly for family usage like HBL, WFH, smart home bridge hooking up to about 12 devices. Thank you and look forward to your comment.

adderrs

Reaction score

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
So right, similiar to "rubbish in, rubbish out" - term borrowed from HiFi reference now applicable to WiFi. The strongest Link is your starting point so in this case, the strongest is your wired access. Mine below is OK! (for ref.)

Speedtest%2BRT-AC87U%2Bafter%2Bfixing%2Bcooling%2Bfan%2Bn%2Bbracket%2Bto%2BONTb10-June%2B2021.jpg
Yeah. Perfect to use ethernet to measure but unfortunately my devices don’t have a lan port. Haha! Bo pian la. World is evolving.
Hello everyone,

I really envy those who have shared your superb speedtest result which I can only dream of even for those >500Mbps...

I am currently with Starhub 1Gbps plan without contract and using their default Linksys EA8100 router and this is my Speedtest result on most days :sad::sad:😔

I was told in most instance, the wireless router is likely the bottleneck. I am contemplating to switch to M1 1Gbps plan and to decide on my options below:
1. 39.90/mth with free Asus RT-AX55 as my secondary node and buy either the AX86U or AX89X and wire backhaul as my primary router
2. 3 mth free promo and top up $13/mth for the AX88U as my primary router, monitor internet speed for a month and decide if to purchase a AX82U or AX86U as my secondary node. While I read raved review about the AX88U, I am also aware it has been launched for close to 3 years and is quite an old model, Do you face any issue with this model?

What will be your advice on the above and also the choice of Asus router models? I am not a gamer and internet is mainly for family usage like HBL, WFH, smart home bridge hooking up to about 12 devices. Thank you and look forward to your comment.

m1 sent their technician down to change modem. Speed test on AX88U is 490mbps…Power. TechnicIan say based on their experience, 70-80% modem problem

vofzxy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so farnie, cancel m1 broadband no need to return ONT one ah?
thats what the phone customer service say btw

bert64

Reaction score
Yeah. Perfect to use ethernet to measure but unfortunately my devices don’t have a lan port. Haha! Bo pian la. World is evolving.

m1 sent their technician down to change modem. Speed test on AX88U is 490mbps…Power. TechnicIan say based on their experience, 70-80% modem problem

It's the only way to properly test. The ISP is responsible up to the ONT/modem, but anything after that is out of their hands. ISPs can also be difficult, and will sometimes try to blame the customer's equipment unless you can prove the problem is on their end.

It's always advisable to use ethernet whenever practical... Wireless is only for inherently mobile devices. The more wireless devices you and your neighbours have, the worse the performance will be for everyone. Using wireless on a device that sits in the same physical location just causes unnecessary performance loss to other wireless devices.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's the only way to properly test. The ISP is responsible up to the ONT/modem, but anything after that is out of their hands. ISPs can also be difficult, and will sometimes try to blame the customer's equipment unless you can prove the problem is on their end.
It's always advisable to use ethernet whenever practical... Wireless is only for inherently mobile devices. The more wireless devices you and your neighbours have, the worse the performance will be for everyone. Using wireless on a device that sits in the same physical location just causes unnecessary performance loss to other wireless devices.

For sure it is good to use Ethernet whenever possible. On the other hand wireless will still be used by the majority of the devices at home, like mobile phones and tablets.

The interference does depend on the housing construction. 2.4GHz is very bad in Singapore for most of the people and I actually disabled 2.4GHz on my main router (Asus RT-AX82U), 5GHz interferences from my neighbours are not bad actually, probably due to the thick walls of older generation HDB flats. Still I need to have another weaker router set up for a few 2.4GHz clients I have at home.

I do not have LAN ports for my HDB flat and I used to use 4pcs of power line adapters to get 100-200Mbps at the rooms. I still use one pair of them for my Raspberry Pi and Orange Pi boards. But most of my other devices (Mac Mini M1, Windows laptop, mobile phone and tablets, Mi Box S, etc) are using wireless and they are just fine with my RT-AX82U router (4*4 AX/AC router on 5GHz).

My Windows laptop does not have Ethernet port but I bought a Ugreen USB to gigabit Ethernet adapter, only usage is for Speedtest. :)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so farnie, cancel m1 broadband no need to return ONT one ah?
thats what the phone customer service say btw

Most of the ISPs are like this. ONT seems to be pretty cheap for them.

SingTel used to ask for return of ONR (not ONT) but recent reports seem to indicate they no longer do that.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depending on the floor plan and wireless router/mesh used, some people can really get good enough performance with a single wireless router or a good pair of wireless mesh (using wireless backhaul) without using Ethernet ports in the rooms (older HDB flats do not have).

But yes if you can by all means use Ethernet backhaul based mesh solution, or deploy APs which can tune TX power for seamless roaming. That will give the best wireless performance.

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
Bro
Buy from Courts if you are really looking at saving $$$
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/asus-rt-ax86u-and-rt-ax82u.6315347/page-50
As per the above thread, using promo code JUNE6181 at Courts online. You may need to be fast.

RT-AX86U Gundam version at S$312.20 [S$419 - S$90 (22% off cap at S$90) - S$16.80 = 312.20]
RT-AX82U at around S$239.82 [S#329 - S$72.38 (22% off) -S$16.80 = S$239.82]
Bro
Buy from Courts if you are really looking at saving $$$.

If you need router fast (example previous router spoilt or you need router to work), don’t buy from courts. Based on my personal experience:
(1) Lead time is long. 3 working days just to arrange order, maybe 3 more days to send (total 8-9 days gone). Who in this world deliver order like that? Probably the “old dinosaur companies” who tell management they doing good online business (new concept but follow 1980s way of working)
(2) You apply promo code cannot cancel order. Read fine prints
(3) You are using a dinosaur website. Difficult to navigate etc
(4) if you ever need to dial in hotline, be prepared to wait. Customer service usually think from their own perspective at their own convenience
(5) Other than this subjected to whatever policy, terms and conditions (they song song can pawn you).

if you are used to buying things from Apple, Amazon and enjoying their world class service level, can consider skipping Courts.

MicceL

Reaction score
Hi, time to upgrade my 1gb broadband again. currently, M1 having promotion: free 3 months if signup with mesh router. any advise if the mesh router: asus zenwifi is good? or should i go for AX88U. Currently, i am using AC88U for 4 years already. My 4 room flat master bedroom wifi signal is very weak and i place my AC88U in my DB box beside my main door. Thank you.

Last edited:

bert64

Reaction score
Hi, time to upgrade my 1gb broadband again. currently, M1 having promotion: free 3 months if signup with mesh router. any advise if the mesh router: asus zenwifi is good? or should i go for AX88U. Currently, i am using AC88U for 4 years already. My 4 room flat master bedroom wifi signal is very weak and i place my AC88U in my DB box beside my main door. Thank you.
Placing a wireless router inside the db box will usually result in poor signal strength.
Best really to have a wired router inside the db box, and wireless outside in a central location if possible.

Do you have lan ports in your rooms?

Moving from ac to ax (wifi6) will make no difference whatsoever unless your client devices also support wifi6, although you should always deploy the latest technology if it's not cost prohibitive as your likely to update devices later.

Perhaps you can retain your existing ac88u as a wired router inside the db box with wifi disabled, and deploy new wireless access point(s) outside as required in order to get good coverage.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.