Asking for Advice - 1st time car purchase

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am now considering getting a new car.

Any opinions on the Toyota Raize and Yaris Cross? The road tax is higher for a Crossover/SUV as compared to a hatchback?

Say I want to test drive the Honda Fit/Jazz, the Toyota Raize and Yaris Cross, which are the dealers you'll recommend?

Last edited:

Kia7200

Master Member
Reaction score

Any opinions on the Toyota Raize and Yaris Cross? The road tax is higher for a Crossover/SUV as compared to a hatchback?

Say I want to test drive the Honda Fit/Jazz, the Toyota Raize and Yaris Cross, which are the dealers you'll recommend?
Get Raize ba, Yaris cross is damn fugly

Ipod

Reaction score
borneo motors only selling yaris cross in hybrid model. the road tax is very low as currently it has the lowest fuel consumption. if u wan petrol version, then will be non authorized dealers. raize is definitely non authorized dealers. yaris cross is pure toyota but raize is combi of daihatsu? n toyota.

new honda jazz is good. with good view.

sinistral

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Road tax is pegged to engine displacement, not the body type of cars.

Jazz - Kah Motor
Yaris Cross - Borneo Motors
Raize - contact any of the big PIs see if they allow test driving, e.g. Vincar, Cars and Coffee

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For the used cars listed on sgcarmart, how much (%) can we negotiate the prices (down) to usually?

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For the used cars listed on sgcarmart, how much (%) can we negotiate the prices (down) to usually?
Depends on your skill liao. Is unlimited. To make it simple 1-2 k price down from the list price is achievable but depending on car type and model.

mel1888

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is STA inspection recommended before buying used cars? Need be present on site?
Short answer, No.
They do standard checks, wont catch things like gearbox with slow leak, gear box/ ecu issues, etc.
Bring to your own workshop for opinion.
Then its up to your luck if u buy.

believe88

Reaction score
for used cars, do i have to check if there are any outstanding fines for that vehicle?

mel1888

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for used cars, do i have to check if there are any outstanding fines for that vehicle?
Download AXS app. Then just plug in car plate # in the search for fines page that has all major govt n pte bodies.

woodlander

Reaction score

Actually...i also looking into getting Yaris Cross. But not sure if take Hybrid or Petrol version?

Veloso

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry TS, don't mind me asking, anyone got any experience with a COE Toyota Rush? Thinking of getting one, will be driving it around quite a bit, maybe about 200+KM/day. How's the fuel consumption like for a 14 years old+ Rush?

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually...i also looking into getting Yaris Cross. But not sure if take Hybrid or Petrol version?
Depends on your usage. If you cover distance like phv/ taxi, average, 500km per day, then hybrid. Else petrol. Average price diff between both variants at 10k. You do the maths.

bonkbonk

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, sorry leech on thread to ask something

also 1st time wanting to buy a car, friend recommended me a dealer , went down see got a 5plus year old altas for sale abt $55k , 1 owner , 120k mileage

after discussion they needed a deposit of $500 to proceed to ask for in-house bank loans to finance the purchase of the car…

if application fail, full refund, if pass n i decided not to buy then maybe only refund 50% , question is this common?? asking for deposit

thanks for help , didnt know where else to seek help

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

also 1st time wanting to buy a car, friend recommended me a dealer , went down see got a 5plus year old altas for sale abt $55k , 1 owner , 120k mileage

after discussion they needed a deposit of $500 to proceed to ask for in-house bank loans to finance the purchase of the car…

if application fail, full refund, if pass n i decided not to buy then maybe only refund 50% , question is this common?? asking for deposit

Read the TnCs carefully before you place the deposit. Make sure what you mentioned is inside and the clauses that follow doesn't override this.

Personally, I think it's fair

Deposit $500
- Refundable if application of in-house loan fails - ask them which banks/finance companies under this clause
- If don't proceed, $250 for their in-house services to get the loan, do the paperwork, - I don't think this is unjustified.

Unless you feel that they should bear every cost which in this case, they are 2nd hand car dealers, not charity.

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You can also go around joy shopping to gain more information. Ask which bank loans and insurance they tied up with.
Side track, 55k is without admin charges? If yes, ask them to waive off. Altis is flooded in the market. Can go ask around and not stick to one dealer.

nsxr99

Master Member
Reaction score

ask for black and white important

confusedboi

Reaction score
when buying used car try to send to AAS ( Automobile association of SIngapore) instead of STA as AAS report is more detailed and in depth than STA checks..

Some dealers dont allow the car to be send to AAS for this reason. Probably should walk away from that car if this happens.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.