M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, time to upgrade my 1gb broadband again. currently, M1 having promotion: free 3 months if signup with mesh router. any advise if the mesh router: asus zenwifi is good? or should i go for AX88U. Currently, i am using AC88U for 4 years already. My 4 room flat master bedroom wifi signal is very weak and i place my AC88U in my DB box beside my main door. Thank you.
Yesterday M1 technician came to my place to change a new set of modem. He shared that the placement of my AX88U in the corner of the house and another AC88U in the furthest end of the master bedroom is not ideal as the router has to penetrate walls before it can communicate with the node. He suggested that 1 move my AX88U more inwards so that it lesser obstruction to the AC88U. Bom!

My setup is AX88U (router) and AC88U (node) connected via wireless backhaul. I am on m1 500mbps plan.

Prior to moving both routers
Living room: download 480mbps, upload 470mbps
Study room (nearest room to my living room): download 280mbps, upload 180mbps
Master room (3 rooms away): download: 90mbps, upload: 40mbps
Toilet (furthest away): download: 70mbps, upload: 30mbps

Moving router and node so that there is less obstruction:
Living room: No change
Study room: Download: 390mbps, upload: 150mbps
Master room: Download: 280mbps, upload: 230mbps
Toilet: Download 200mbps, Upload: 160mbps

Wa lan! No joke sia! Results so so as compared to many bros here but something I have never seen for the last 10 years. Toilet also can watch 4k

bert64

Reaction score
usually when it rains in jurong west, it is like that =/
im hoping its not my lyra trio
Rain shouldn't make any difference... Something is faulty, although i can't think what piece of equipment might be affected by rain unless you've got a leak and suffering water ingress somewhere...

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the NOC side of M1 is trying to explain on the committed speed on 1GBps plan is only 200Mbps. anything extra is bonus

jasonho

Reaction score
the NOC side of M1 is trying to explain on the committed speed on 1GBps plan is only 200Mbps. anything extra is bonus
https://www.m1.com.sg/support/typical-speeds
* The Typical Speed Range refers to the range of download speeds that users can experience 80% of the time based on the specific test conditions and parameters stipulated below. Testing Time Frame: January to March 2021.

TheSnail

Reaction score
So...... I'm joining you here in the thread after being around a couple of months since yesterday I signed a 24-months contract for new 1GB line, 2-months free, free registration, installation and RT-AX55, switching from WhizComms to hopefully get better international routing for my TV.

Gear gets delivered on Friday, with installation next Thursday.

Hope to implement everything correctly, inc. IPv6 etc. and hope uptime is consistent as I never had downtime with WC.

asianfish

Reaction score
Hi guys would like to seek your advice. If I were to get the 1gbps plan that comes with the free Asus ax55 router, can this ax55 router act as a mesh node while I get either RT-AX82U/86U/88U to be the main router?

Should I use the better router as the fibre point/main router, does it make a difference?

P/S: what is the wireless backhaul that you guys are mentioning?

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Hi guys would like to seek your advice. If I were to get the 1gbps plan that comes with the free Asus ax55 router, can this ax55 router act as a mesh node while I get either RT-AX82U/86U/88U to be the main router?
Ans : Yes
Should I use the better router as the fibre point/main router, does it make a difference?
Ans : The main router should always be the better router.
P/S: what is the wireless backhaul that you guys are mentioning?
Ans : Backhaul is a technical term for "backbone" used in telecommunication. Wireless backhaul simply means the backbone of your network is made of direct wireless connections between the nodes of the mesh system.

asianfish

Reaction score
Ans : Yes

Ans : The main router should always be the better router.

Ans : Backhaul is a technical term for "backbone" used in telecommunication. Wireless backhaul simply means the backbone of your network is made of direct wireless connections between the nodes of the mesh system.
So can I say that as long as I get Asus routers that are compatible with the AiMesh WiFi system, I will create a wireless backhaul?

vofzxy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So can I say that as long as I get Asus routers that are compatible with the AiMesh WiFi system, I will create a wireless backhaul?

yes, thats of course

the wireless backhaul runs on the 3rd band for triband devices
dual band, i dunno how the backhaul works if you utilise both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz band..... maybe no backhaul
so far based on what i have read in here and other threads

so its not ANY Asus routers

if i am not wrong

jasonho

Reaction score
dual band, i dunno how the backhaul works if you utilise both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz band..... maybe no backhaul

if i am not wrong
It works on quite a number of routers. The only difference is if there will be a dedicated wireless backhaul (for triband only). If one turn on Smart Connect, there wont be any dedicated backhaul too.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1039646/

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Ans : this is known as dedicated wireless backhaul where no clients can access. However wireless backhaul is not limited to tri band, it can run on dual band routers. Just that there will be some performance impact.

if i am not wrong
Ans : the key word is compatible aimesh routers.

Last edited:

vofzxy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It works on quite a number of routers. The only difference is if there will be a dedicated wireless backhaul (for triband only). If one turn on Smart Connect, there wont be any dedicated backhaul too.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1039646/

Ans : this is known as dedicated wireless backhaul where no clients can access. However wireless backhaul is not limited to tri band, it can run on dual band routers. Just that there will be some performance impact.

Ans : the key word is compatible aimesh routers.
first time hearing about Smart Connect
gam sia gam sia

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.m1.com.sg/support/typical-speeds
* The Typical Speed Range refers to the range of download speeds that users can experience 80% of the time based on the specific test conditions and parameters stipulated below. Testing Time Frame: January to March 2021.
I agree on the that there is a range but hearing the committed is so low at 200Mbps really disappointed. :s12:

ibrahim Noorali

Reaction score
Recently bought TP link AX20 router, i am with M1. I am trying to configure IPv6, Can someone help to share the IPV6 settings?

In the router options,

I see the IPv6 internet connec. types as

static IP
Dynamic IP(SLAAC/DHCPV6)
PPPoE
6to4
pass thru

Get IPV6 address options
Auto
SLAAC
DHCPV6
non-address

prefix delegation options
enable
disable

I checked with M1 CC, they advised me not to enable IPV6. Does it mean M1 does not support native IPv6?

Thanks

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.