Looking to buy COE car - 2010 Altis, Civic or Avante?

Oddballmiller

Reaction score
Get a Lexus IS250. I got one with only 12000KM with only 1 Owner throughout the 10 years and well maintained. Very little maintenance required.

Petrol consumption if you pedal well and know the roads well, can read 11.5km/l .

Imagine a car with 2500cc that can reach this kind of fuel efficiency.

Car is a RWD so handling is excellent, power is more than enough as you will accelerate seamlessly.

Noise insulation consider quite good.

andyhtc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Get a Lexus IS250. I got one with only 12000KM with only 1 Owner throughout the 10 years and well maintained. Very little maintenance required.

Petrol consumption if you pedal well and know the roads well, can read 11.5km/l .

Car is a RWD so handling is excellent, power is more than enough as you will accelerate seamlessly.

Never believe in the mileage for a 2nd hand car if you buy from a used car dealer. Almost all have been modified lower to boost the selling price. IS250 road tax for COE cars can be quite high.

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Older audi's especially Coe renewed one now mostly come with multitronic (cvt) instead of dsg (s-tronic).

Avoid the multitronic/cvt ones - they r prone to failure and cost a lot to replace. Also provide a lazy driving experience typical of cvt gearbox.

heshangIT

Reaction score
Sorry TS, don't mind me asking, anyone got any experience with a COE Toyota Rush? Thinking of getting one, will be driving it around quite a bit, maybe about 200+KM/day. How's the fuel consumption like for a 14 years old+ Rush?

I do drive rush counterpart Daihatsu Terios from day 1 till now… 14 years already… I renewed the COE

wahlaneh

Master Member
Reaction score

RWD doesnt necessarily mean handling is good.

xiaozhi86

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Audi A5 if get non quattro, I think is cvt should not have gearbox issue unless super unlucky. But be prepare with alot of wear n tear and engine sure eat oil unless the previous owner do a engine overhaul. Anyway not recommended to A5 Coe unless you don't mind standby 5-10k within the next 1-2 years for repair. Once repair nicely, is a very nice car to drive and only downside is petrol. Should be able to achieve 8-11km/L depend on traffic

xiaozhi86

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Older audi's especially Coe renewed one now mostly come with multitronic (cvt) instead of dsg (s-tronic).

Avoid the multitronic/cvt ones - they r prone to failure and cost a lot to replace. Also provide a lazy driving experience typical of cvt gearbox.

I don't think CVT have issue. Drive a A4 B8 for 2 years until Coe end and did not encounter any gearbox issue. If you inside WhatsApp chat group for A4, generally you don't see CVT having issue.

~Dragonite~

Banned
Reaction score
10 year Altis + COE for 60k (6k/year) considered good or bad deal?

Alternative is new Avante for 98k (9.4k/year).

Last edited:

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Was looking at 12-13 year old a6. Guess have to drop the idea. The heart say yes but...

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
10 year Altis + COE for 60k (6k/year) considered good or bad deal?

Alternative is new Avante for 98k (9.4k/year).

New car, Easier to get loan from banks at lower interest? Have to take higher loan. Warranty.

Coe car higher road tax, probably more wear and tear replacement, no warranty.

I'm looking for coe car cos of budget. Won't be taking loan. Now likely at options also. Maybe a Camry 2.0

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was looking at 12-13 year old a6. Guess have to drop the idea. The heart say yes but...
11 year onwards, every year must go inspection + road tax will increase up to a max of 50%. Conti parts don't come easy, you need a workshop that can find/source parts when you need. Importantly is you can still drive while waiting for parts.

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think CVT have issue. Drive a A4 B8 for 2 years until Coe end and did not encounter any gearbox issue. If you inside WhatsApp chat group for A4, generally you don't see CVT having issue.

You're lucky to get a good unit . Did previous owner replace/repair his CVT?

I see many advices in MCF to avoid multitronic-equipped Audis because the CVT tend to get problems above 100k mileage.

I also drove a CVT car many years back and would not drive one again, because the gearbox feel very lazy (e.g rubber band effect). Not sure if Audi manage to eliminate this lazy feeling for multitronic

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You're lucky to get a good unit . Did previous owner replace/repair his CVT?

I see many advices in MCF to avoid multitronic-equipped Audis because the CVT tend to get problems above 100k mileage.

I also drove a CVT car many years back and would not drive one again, because the gearbox feel very lazy (e.g rubber band effect). Not sure if Audi manage to eliminate this lazy feeling for multitronic
Personal dislike of CVT does not meant CVT sucks leh..

Oddballmiller

Reaction score
Never believe in the mileage for a 2nd hand car if you buy from a used car dealer. Almost all have been modified lower to boost the selling price. IS250 road tax for COE cars can be quite high.
Road tax is high but the trade off is good power + good reliability

Kia7200

Master Member
Reaction score
Depending Ur age group n Ur character

Appearance wise
1. Civic
2. Altis
3. Avante

If u r below 30s n want to have more fun, plan to mod Ur cars n attract young chicks, just get the civic. I can't imagine any young chicks will be impress with a guy driving a Coe Altis or avante which is commonly used as phv.
Coe civic share the same design as type R , anyway u can consider lancer too

If u r a old man or nerd who totally don't care ABT appearance, totally want a car to bring u from point A or point B, wear a old jeans n oversize T shirt, feel satisfying for saving few dollars for buying abt to expire food or drinks or q up hours just to get freebies. Ya maybe u can buy that Coe Altis or avante

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.