Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Ash

Reaction score
My surfshark account is expiring and too costly to renew. Any good (and cheap) recommendation for a VPN that can get me a Chinese IP? TIA

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My surfshark account is expiring and too costly to renew. Any good (and cheap) recommendation for a VPN that can get me a Chinese IP? TIA

If you want to get China IP, there are very few options. Transocks (穿梭) and AJS (爱加速) are the leading solutions, along with apps like SpeedIn, SpeedCN. Normal VPN solutions like ExpressVPN, NordVPN and Surfshark will not work. Some VPNs may claim they will work in the past like purevpn and ivacy but actually they do not work. The Going-into-China VPN apps need to be authorized by the Chinese Authority.

I am paying for AJS myself, RMB198 per year for single user.

Transocks VIP is about S$60.98 per year for three concurrent connections.

Last edited:

spencert

Reaction score
Was looking for a reliable VPN for Tencent Video. Most cannot work including Transock (trial), AJS (unable to sign up on email), NordVPN (paid), 穿梭回国 (trial), 及速穿梭 (trial). Then I came across Malus VPN. Top notch is all I can say. Even free version was able to stream 1080P. I immediately sign up 3 yrs via Paypal for $138. Hope it can last. :cool:

jasonho

Reaction score
Was looking for a reliable VPN for Tencent Video. Most cannot work including Transock (trial), AJS (unable to sign up on email), NordVPN (paid), 穿梭回国 (trial), 及速穿梭 (trial). Then I came across Malus VPN. Top notch is all I can say. Even free version was able to stream 1080P. I immediately sign up 3 yrs via Paypal for $138. Hope it can last. :cool:

You need VPN to watch shows on Tencent Video? I have been using Tencent Video (VIP account) on both my Android TV box and both my iOS and Android phones but I never had to leverage on VPN to access the content.

On the other hand, my iQiyi 爱奇艺 will require VPN (using AJS and ExpressVPN) else some shows will show geo restriction.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You need VPN to watch shows on Tencent Video? I have been using Tencent Video (VIP account) on both my Android TV box and both my iOS and Android phones but I never had to leverage on VPN to access the content.
On the other hand, my iQiyi 爱奇艺 will require VPN (using AJS and ExpressVPN) else some shows will show geo restriction.

Once you pay for VIP, you do not need to use VPN for many contents for Tencent Video, Youku and QQ Music. But there are still contents which may still need China VPN like AJS.

I have paid AJS even though I have paid VIP for Tencent Video and QQ Music.

As for going into China VPN, AJS, Transocks, Malus, SpeedCN and SpeedIn are some of the more popular solutions.

spencert

Reaction score

I signed up 1 year VIP on Tencent Video. A lot of dramas still unable to watch, at least 80% of the China ones. Once I use Malus, no more block.

jasonho

Reaction score
I signed up 1 year VIP on Tencent Video. A lot of dramas still unable to watch, at least 80% of the China ones. Once I use Malus, no more block.

That's interesting to know.

Mobile? iOS or Android ? Also when you mention you aren't able to watch, does it give you the geo block error or just doesn't load?

I am guessing it may be more of a connection than geo block restrictions. Nevertheless, vpn (回国路线 ones) does help to remove all restrictions.

spencert

Reaction score
That's interesting to know.

Mobile? iOS or Android ? Also when you mention you aren't able to watch, does it give you the geo block error or just doesn't load?

I am guessing it may be more of a connection than geo block restrictions. Nevertheless, vpn (回国路线 ones) does help to remove all restrictions.
Mac, iOS and Android all same cannot load, just give error. Now I can access all with Malus.

ruffruff

Master Member
Reaction score
yeah, i bought the Malus subscription as well, mostly for QQ music which my wife is using. All of the above VPNs mentioned I have tried and refunded because they wont work with QQ Music. So far only Malus is working nicely, but too bad on the limit of devices (need to buy additional device license), else I will have it on my media boxes as well.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AJS works very well with QQ Music VIP. I am using it with QQ Music VIP, Tencent Video VIP and Youku Video VIP.

It only includes one connection license by default (RMB 198 for 12 months) so the price is not cheap if you need multiple connection at the same time.

kw442

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Resubbed to TorGuard VPN for 2 years. Was using it for 2 years before switching to SurfShark (2 years with cashback on TopCashBack).

triumsg1

Reaction score
Resubbed to TorGuard VPN for 2 years. Was using it for 2 years before switching to SurfShark (2 years with cashback on TopCashBack).
Yes .. its 65% cashback on SG$80.98 for 25 months ... so SG$28 for 25 months! Not bad.

FlyGuardX

Reaction score
surfshark and expressvpn promo till 20 aug 9pm. pm if interested
surfshark - usd 0.58/mth (after cashback)
expressvpn - usd2.99/mth (after cashback)

Last edited:

tmster

Master Member
Reaction score
Have just subscribed to youku 酷喵 and using Malus vpn with it. Seems like Malus is slow for 4K streaming during peak hours (6pm to 12am) with constant buffering. No issue during the day or after hours so i don't think there is anything wrong with my connection. Anyone has a faster alternative to recommend? Thanks in advance.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have just subscribed to youku 酷喵 and using Malus vpn with it. Seems like Malus is slow for 4K streaming during peak hours (6pm to 12am) with constant buffering. No issue during the day or after hours so i don't think there is anything wrong with my connection. Anyone has a faster alternative to recommend? Thanks in advance.

If you are aiming for consistent 4K streaming it may not be easy with any of the leading Going-into-China VPNs like Transocks, AJS, Malus, SpeedCN and SpeedIn. 1080p should be more consistent and 720p should not be an issue.

On the other hand, lots of contents for 酷喵(Youku TV) version does not need VPN since you have the VIP.

tmster

Master Member
Reaction score
If you are aiming for consistent 4K streaming it may not be easy with any of the leading Going-into-China VPNs like Transocks, AJS, Malus, SpeedCN and SpeedIn. 1080p should be more consistent and 720p should not be an issue.

On the other hand, lots of contents for 酷喵(Youku TV) version does not need VPN since you have the VIP.

4K is nice for sure but like you have mentioned it is hard to find a fast vpn for china, fairly limited choices. Good things is most of the drama and variety shows can watch without vpn, however most new movies are geo-blocked.

Transocks seems like quite popular, is it stable?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.