Android TV Box

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I currently have an Minix X8-H Plus which has 2GB RAM and 16GB storage, & it's incredibly slow, tends to hang & there's not enough space to install all the apps I need, so for a new box my aim is to have at least 4GB DDR4 RAM and preferably 64GB of storage. If only the Mi Box S comes with more RAM and storage :p
minix x8h plus should not be incredibly slow. must be due to mis-configuration. may be virus infected.

most of the good certified tv boxes, including nvidia shield tv 2009, have only 2GB RAM, and the developers are not stupid, they should know whether 2GB is sufficient.

onboard storage is not an issue after android 6, because it can be expanded easily using external storage.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I currently have an Minix X8-H Plus which has 2GB RAM and 16GB storage, & it's incredibly slow, tends to hang & there's not enough space to install all the apps I need, so for a new box my aim is to have at least 4GB DDR4 RAM and preferably 64GB of storage. If only the Mi Box S comes with more RAM and storage :p

Factory reset your box and see if that helps. Minix X8-H has higher HW spec than Mi Box S. The CPU is quite a bit faster than the CPU in Mi Box S.

What apps you are using? Normal apps do not require more than 2GB RAM (only big games).

switzchic

Reaction score
Factory reset your box and see if that helps. Minix X8-H has higher HW spec than Mi Box S. The CPU is quite a bit faster than the CPU in Mi Box S.

What apps you are using? Normal apps do not require more than 2GB RAM (only big games).
Kodi sometimes hangs, and it usually lags/cannot cope when launching the China video streaming apps eg. the TV versions of iQiyi, tencent video and youku, sometimes TVHome 3.0 as well... actually slow even for Google Play, Chrome, ES File Explorer.... oops, that's already the majority of apps that I use :p

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kodi sometimes hangs, and it usually lags/cannot cope when launching the China video streaming apps eg. the TV versions of iQiyi, tencent video and youku, sometimes TVHome 3.0 as well... actually slow even for Google Play, Chrome, ES File Explorer.... oops, that's already the majority of apps that I use :p

I do not use Kodi but other China apps are very smooth on my Mi Box S -- I have AJS China VPN, QQ Music VIP, Tencent Video VIP and Youku VIP (cast to the box through mobile as I do not have the TV version VIP, just mobile version VIP, up to 1080p). But I tend to think Mi Box S is not so good for Kodi.

But if you are mainly for Kodi (which can be resource hungry) and China video apps, then you can consider newer boxes like Mecool KM1 Deluxe (Google certified, S905X3 CPU), or Beelink GT-King (non Pro or Pro). They have 4GB RAM and 32/64GB storage.

Review: Mecool KM1 Deluxe
https://androidpctv.com/review-mecool-km1-s905x3-opinion/
Not so sure if Mecool KM6 Deluxe is already available or not.
https://androidpctv.com/review-mecool-km6-deluxe-opinion/
Beelink GT-King Pro and non-Pro with more powerful CPU.
https://androidpctv.com/review-beelink-gt-king-pro-opinion/https://androidpctv.com/review-beelink-gt-king/

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
kodi works smoothly on my old minix x6, with only 1GB RAM and using a chip with much less power compared to S812.

the problem is you are using the wrong apps.

there many better china apps that are free and stream smoothly, again, no problem on my minix x6.

you should not install chrome as it take up to much resources, even when you are not using it.

should not use latest es file explorer, best to use 4.0.0 or earlier

if you are not relying on playstore, disabling google playservice will make the box much faster

Residentvigilante

Reaction score
which andriod box should buy now with most streaming apps , any sexperts around? i just gave up my stupid singtel subsscription plans

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
which andriod box should buy now with most streaming apps , any sexperts around? i just gave up my stupid singtel subsscription plans

What kind of steaming apps are you looking at?

For Netflix HD, you need certified box like Mi Box S (not so recommended for 4K), Chromecast 2020, Nvidia Shield TV (best streaming box), etc. They are my main recommended streaming boxes for year 2021, even if you do not need Netflix HD. They support popular streaming apps like Netflix, SingTel Cast, meWatch, Amazon Prime Video, etc.

They have Chromecast function built-in so you can cast from mobiles, for application like Starhub TV+.

Dropkickme

Reaction score
Besides MyIPTV4K, what other IPTV channels are there to stream live sports, latest movies, Malaysian channels?

switzchic

Reaction score
A huge thanks to xiaofan & gregory for your recommendations!
I will seriously consider if I should get the Nvidia Shield, if not then most likely I'll get the Beelink GT King Pro siince it fulfils my requirements for RAM and storage (albeit not being certified).

BiggieZee

Reaction score
kodi works smoothly on my old minix x6, with only 1GB RAM and using a chip with much less power compared to S812.

the problem is you are using the wrong apps.

there many better china apps that are free and stream smoothly, again, no problem on my minix x6.

you should not install chrome as it take up to much resources, even when you are not using it.

should not use latest es file explorer, best to use 4.0.0 or earlier

if you are not relying on playstore, disabling google playservice will make the box much faster
Wat file manager n browser u recommend?

BiggieZee

Reaction score
it is not necessary to use browser on tv box.

file manager - recommend file commander, and es file explorer (earlier version , older than ver 4.0.0)
Den how to browse sites or download files if no browser? N for file commander, how to able read access?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Den how to browse sites or download files if no browser? N for file commander, how to able read access?
you don't have any devices for internet browsing ?? BUT

you are using something to type this message. you can use the same to browse sites and download files.

why must browse on tv box ?

Last edited:

BiggieZee

Reaction score
you don't have any devices for internet browsing ?? BUT

you are using something to type this message. you can use the same to browse sites and download files.

why must browse on tv box ?
Download apks, emulator games etc instead of transfer to usb den to tv box

tmster

Master Member
Reaction score
Which one is better 酷喵 or 腾讯? Can i watch most of the show without vpn on those 2?

Btw how do you guys subscribe? I tried Alipay but seems like can only pay with balance, my local card don't work. Where to top up or is it easier to go taobao buy those activation codes?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which one is better 酷喵 or 腾讯? Can i watch most of the show without vpn on those 2?
Btw how do you guys subscribe? I tried Alipay but seems like can only pay with balance, my local card don't work. Where to top up or is it easier to go taobao buy those activation codes?

Check out the VPN thread for more info.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...strictly-no-referral-allowed.3807778/page-268
In terms of content Tencent Video is a bit better. As for VPN, both will have some contents which need VPN, so it depends on the contents you are watching. In the end I tend to think it is better to pay for the VPN as well.

I have mobile VIP for both Tencent Video and Youku Video, then I also pay for AJS VPN. Some other VPN choices are AJS, Transocks and Malus.

For top up, you can check out Alipay thread. It may not be easy to top up now.

Last edited:

tmster

Master Member
Reaction score
In terms of content Tencent Video is a bit better. As for VPN, both will have some contents which need VPN, so it depends on the contents you are watching. In the end I tend to think it is better to pay for the VPN as well.

I have mobile VIP for both Tencent Video and Youku Video, then I also pay for AJS VPN. Some other VPN choices are AJS, Transocks and Malus.

For top up, you can check out Alipay thread. It may not be easy to top up now.

I have kumiao (youku tv version) installed and seems like a good number of the shows can load without vpn. So now i am scouting around for a way to subscribe. Thanks for the direction to alipay's thread, will search there for more info.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have kumiao (youku tv version) installed and seems like a good number of the shows can load without vpn. So now i am scouting around for a way to subscribe. Thanks for the direction to alipay's thread, will search there for more info.
you may want to try WeTV, a tencents app meant for overseas customer. should be easier to subscribe.

if you don't need highest quality, can also try the app by guazitv. The app can be download from the official site at guazitv dot tv. There are 2 versions, suggest to run the TV version on TV box. At the moment, the app doesn't provide history and favourite functions, however the streaming speed is fast, and it is free.

tmster

Master Member
Reaction score
you may want to try WeTV, a tencents app meant for overseas customer. should be easier to subscribe.

if you don't need highest quality, can also try the app by guazitv. The app can be download from the official site at guazitv dot tv. There are 2 versions, suggest to run the TV version on TV box. At the moment, the app doesn't provide history and favourite functions, however the streaming speed is fast, and it is free.

Wow this guazi is good, i just tried on my pc and quality is decent. Thanks a lot.

kottty

Master Member
Reaction score

thanks for sharing this APP..but i didn't see TV version..only got mobile version to download.or i need use TV box go to the site and download den will be TV version?

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.