The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

rollanddie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is an antifatigue lenses, so yeah , it will be helpful. The lower portion of the lens have the power reduced to relax your eye muscle. E.g. you are -2.00 myopia, the bottom of the lens is -1.50.
Thanks GangsterKia!! You've been very helpful in this thread, I asked similar questions years back when getting my current pair :s13: :s13:

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my glasses earlier this evening. I moved my head too fast and was feeling 'giddy' for a bit. Just put on the glasses for a couple of mins (while using the laptop) and after taking it off, could feel my head not feeling right. Not exactly giddy. Just felt like something is floating? How long does it take usually for a 'new' user to get used to the new glasses? I know it differs from person to person....just would like to know a general guideline.

The text is definitely much clearer and background is 'brighter' with the new glasses!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my glasses earlier this evening. I moved my head too fast and was feeling 'giddy' for a bit. Just put on the glasses for a couple of mins (while using the laptop) and after taking it off, could feel my head not feeling right. Not exactly giddy. Just felt like something is floating? How long does it take usually for a 'new' user to get used to the new glasses? I know it differs from person to person....just would like to know a general guideline.

The text is definitely much clearer and background is 'brighter' with the new glasses!
Good morning,
What kind of lenses are you using for this new pair?
Single vision- distance only? Reading glasses?
Anti-fatigue?
Progressive lenses?

viethai

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am actually looking for progressive lens under $300 but I approached an optical shop telling me they have progressive lens using German technology and less than $200 , what they actually mean ? Thks

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Am actually looking for progressive lens under $300 but I approached an optical shop telling me they have progressive lens using German technology and less than $200 , what they actually mean ? Thks
Hi,
I believe that means they are able to cater to your budget. But do maintain a certain level of expectations when you use the lenses. E.g. clarity, peripheral distortions , giddiness or small intermediate(computer) or reading zone.

viethai

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I believe that means they are able to cater to your budget. But do maintain a certain level of expectations when you use the lenses. E.g. clarity, peripheral distortions , giddiness or small intermediate(computer) or reading zone.
Ok..thks for the explanation

cicada8

Reaction score
Hi is there such thing as a perfect pair of lenses, as in you will be able to see the smallest number/alphabet? I hv been making my lens at different shops cos I can't seem to achieve 6/6 vision, hence the shop hopping. Most opticians took a long time to find my eye power, most of them said I hv a lazy eye that is affecting the check.
So if anyone has a similar issue and manage to find a good optician who is very experienced, kindly recommend to me pls. Thanks!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi is there such thing as a perfect pair of lenses, as in you will be able to see the smallest number/alphabet? I hv been making my lens at different shops cos I can't seem to achieve 6/6 vision, hence the shop hopping. Most opticians took a long time to find my eye power, most of them said I hv a lazy eye that is affecting the check.
So if anyone has a similar issue and manage to find a good optician who is very experienced, kindly recommend to me pls. Thanks!
Hi,
If it’s been widely made known the fact that you have amblyopia/lazy eye, then you can’t achieve 6/6 for that particular eye as it is a brain issue. It has to be corrected from young. usually after mid teens onwards, it is almost impossible to correct it.
I would suggest seeing an ophthalmologist first to get it confirmed then you head down to make a pair of glasses from then on. At least your expectations would be managed with knowing that (hopefully not) you have amblyopia.

adgjl321

Reaction score
Are Oliver People’s worth the money? Any other brands I can consider?

also, where is the cheapest for OPs?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Are Oliver People’s worth the money? Any other brands I can consider?

also, where is the cheapest for OPs?
Their frames are generally pretty narrow, so if you are broad face… don bother haha.
Lindberg for certain is worth the money, yellows plus, ICBerlins.. but they are more costly.
cheapest OP maybe high 300+?

dannyphone

Reaction score
Hi GANGSTERKIA,

For high deg user -15.00, any brand of lens to look for?
what will be the price range like?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi GANGSTERKIA,

For high deg user -15.00, any brand of lens to look for?
what will be the price range like?
Hi,
I would suggest Glass lenses from Zeiss or Essilor. If you prefer plastic lenses then I would say… Essilor exceptio lenses.
Also remember to choose a smaller frame if possible, so the thickness would not affect the frame too much.

david318

Reaction score
Hi GANGSTERKIA,

Placed an order on lenskart (given the attractive price) but now am having second thoughts after reading some bad reviews.

What are the key differences in terms of quality and make between Lenskart / Owndays / Zoff and the like, and the more traditional optical shops? Quality of the lens?

What would be a normal price range for a pair of 1.74 index glasses (R: -8.50 -2.00 25; L:-7.75, -2.00, 170)?

Many thanks in advance!
David

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi GANGSTERKIA,

Placed an order on lenskart (given the attractive price) but now am having second thoughts after reading some bad reviews.

What are the key differences in terms of quality and make between Lenskart / Owndays / Zoff and the like, and the more traditional optical shops? Quality of the lens?

What would be a normal price range for a pair of 1.74 index glasses (R: -8.50 -2.00 25; L:-7.75, -2.00, 170)?

Many thanks in advance!
David
Hi,
No harm giving them a chance, it might work out for you surprisingly.
As mentioned, my personal opinion is that the lens coating are more resistant, doesn’t peel of, scratched that easily. Also visual clarity is noticeable.
I believe the cheaper 1.74 index lenses is the market should be about Low to mid 200 plus.. might have cheaper Brand’s but I have to check again.

david318

Reaction score
Hi,
No harm giving them a chance, it might work out for you surprisingly.
As mentioned, my personal opinion is that the lens coating are more resistant, doesn’t peel of, scratched that easily. Also visual clarity is noticeable.
I believe the cheaper 1.74 index lenses is the market should be about Low to mid 200 plus.. might have cheaper Brand’s but I have to check again.
Thanks, Gangsterkia. I will give them a try and if it doesn't live up to expectations, I will get another pair from one of the shops you recommended in the thread (Jamco?) - do you happen to know their price range?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Gangsterkia. I will give them a try and if it doesn't live up to expectations, I will get another pair from one of the shops you recommended in the thread (Jamco?) - do you happen to know their price range?
The price range is depending on the product you purchase.
Based on your prescription, what index of lenses you choose and of course what frame you choose too…
So I would say from 200 onwards for a pair of glasses. I understand there are many cheaper alternatives but ultimately, it’s up to you to decide and feel Which practitioner you are more comfortable with.

Apart from JAMCO, i would also recommend Eyewear Optics or KJ Optometrists.

Last edited:

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would suggest going for mystyle V+ or mystyle profile as an alternative. Or else you can look towards Essilor X-design series lenses which is affordable and comfortable to wear too.

Is mystyle profile lens still in production? I saw on hoya website that there is no mention of MSP anymore. Only mystyle v+. Are hoya phasinh out MSP? Or did they upgrade lifestyle v+ to the new lifestyle 3i which is similar to MSP? Except that instead of 5 preset views they cut to only 3?

IzaniBlade

Reaction score
Hi interested in Linberg too. My degrees quite high.

Sph. Cyl. Axis Add.
R -6.80 -01.79 086 01.00
L -6.85 -01.45 085 01.01

Need transitions lens due to work. Prefer acetate frames or any type that can hide the thickness of lens. Face chubby. Nose quite flat so normally using nosepad type. Any recommendations? I thought of just buying Linberg frames then bring to the shop I always frequent for the lens. Is it ok? Currently using Varilux X Design 1.74 T7 Grey lens. Progressive Lens but don’t really fancy it. Like not so sharp or just my eyes not adjusting. So thought of making normal lens without the progressive.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated. TIA.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Is mystyle profile lens still in production? I saw on hoya website that there is no mention of MSP anymore. Only mystyle v+. Are hoya phasinh out MSP? Or did they upgrade lifestyle v+ to the new lifestyle 3i which is similar to MSP? Except that instead of 5 preset views they cut to only 3?
MSP still available. The website still have.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.