小米AIoT路由器 AX3600

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does the AX3600 have Guest Wifi network?

Yes through the mobile app. It may not have the extend features of the Asus routers but should be good enough for most users.

Notable missing feature: very limited VPN feature, no OpenVPN option, only PPTP and L2TP. But this is not critical.

Web UI is more limited.

Last edited:

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes through the mobile app. It may not have the extend features of the Asus routers but should be good enough for most users.

Notable missing feature: very limited VPN feature, no OpenVPN option, only PPTP and L2TP. But this is not critical.

Web UI is more limited.
Wow. Thanks.

Ok. I have setup the router last night.

I managed to setup everything except the "Guest Network". Seems like can only set in App. But I tried many times but it just doesn't start it.

The "Guest Network" option is only available in the App but not via browser.

By the way, I am using the MiFi Router app International Version.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks.

Ok. I have setup the router last night.

I managed to setup everything except the "Guest Network". Seems like can only set in App. But I tried many times but it just doesn't start it.

The "Guest Network" option is only available in the App but not via browser.

By the way, I am using the MiFi Router app International Version.
You may have to use Mi Wifi App China version if you buy the China version.
http://www1.miwifi.com/app_download.html
Or you can try to flash the Global FW and then try again (which may or may not work if you did not use the SSH guide to change the Country Code).

I have a similar situation with my Huawei AX3 Pro China version where I need to use the China version of the mobile app (Huawei AILife) to set up and it has more functions than the simple WebUI. There may be a workaround though for Huawei.

Last edited:

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Or you can try to flash the Global FW and then try again (which may or may not work if you did not use the SSH guide to change the Country Code).

I have a similar situation with my Huawei AX3 Pro China version where I need to use the China version of the mobile app (Huawei AILife) to set up and it has more functions than the simple WebUI. There may be a workaround though for Huawei.

Hi, thanks.

Ok. Tried liao, it worked! But only 2.4Ghz for Guest Network and the SSID cannot be changed.

But the Chinese app overwrites the English one, once installed.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks.
Ok. Tried liao, it worked! But only 2.4Ghz for Guest Network and the SSID cannot be changed.
But the Chinese app overwrites the English one, once installed.

If you want to change the guest wifi SSID, you have to hack the app (create mod Android app) as per some Chinese website.

But in the end, stock FW is like this -- you can not do much if you hit the limitations.

Once you gain the SSH access, you can do all kinds of things. You can use VLAN or Firewall rules to create multiple wifi networks.

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you want to change the guest wifi SSID, you have to hack the app (create mod Android app) as per some Chinese website.

But in the end, stock FW is like this -- you can not do much if you hit the limitations.

Once you gain the SSH access, you can do all kinds of things. You can use VLAN or Firewall rules to create multiple wifi networks.

Wah lau, that one is beyond my pay grade liao. LOL!

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Give the SSH guide a try, it is not that difficult. Then you can achieve what you want to do.
https://oded.dev/2020/11/30/AX3600-1/
https://openwrt.org/inbox/toh/xiaomi/xiaomi_ax3600
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/5071359
FYI, it is more difficult for Xiaomi AX9000 as you need one more router which already runs openwrt.

https://openwrt.org/inbox/toh/xiaomi/ax9000

Wah lau! This one is big project.

I currently don't have the time for it.

Will just survive on the current Guest Network setup. Now I am testing the scheduling. From my testing so far, the scheduling seems to work SO MUCH better than Asus. The scheduling on Asus router is basically crap.

Asus Time Scheduling / Parental Control broken
---------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/time-scheduling-still-broken.49254/

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac68u-schedule-block-not-working.65370/
Somebody got it working but have to disable NAT Acceleration. I tried but it still doesn't work.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/time-scheduling-still-broken.49254/

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any good wifi card to recommend for PC?

For desktop, Intel AX200 based PCIE card (AX3000 rated), branded like Asus PCIE-AX3000 or TP-Link Archer TX50E. No brand one you can try Comfast brand with external Antenna extension.

For laptop, same Intel AX200 based M2 card.

There are now USB based WiFi 6 card as well from D-Link and Asus but I tend to think they are of lower performance (AX1800 rated).

Intel AX210 based triband card is more future proof for Wifi 6E but the driver is probably not stable yet.

Ref:
https://dongknows.com/steps-to-do-an-wi-fi-6-e-upgrade-on-a-computer/

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any good wifi card to recommend for PC?

I get those USB Wifi adapter for <$10 for my kid's PC. Can hit 200+Mbps with this AX3600.

I tested Wifi6 and can hit about 400+Mbps, transfer speed can hit about 35-40MB/s.

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I chanced upon a few videos that said that the Netgear Nighthawk Wifi router kick ass.

Netgear Nighthawk AC1750

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900

I wonder how does the AX3600 compare against this 2.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I chanced upon a few videos that said that the Netgear Nighthawk Wifi router kick ass.
I wonder how does the AX3600 compare against this 2.

Xiaomi AX3600 CPU and wireless performance will be much much better than these two Netgear routers.

Both R7000 AC1900 (released in 2013, a very good router at that time, comparable to Asus RT-AC68U which was also released in 2013) and R6700 AC1750 (released in 2014, now still sold with revision 3 HW) are very old product and not so sure why the reviewers still review them. I guess they are still good for average users and Netgear has good long term FW support for them. And I will say R7000, RT-AC68U and the Linksys WRT1900AC I was using are all good routers. Still Xiaomi AX3600 will be better than all of them.

BTW, Netgear Singapore has the R6350 AC1750 router still selling at S$109. It is lower end than R6700 AC1750 though.

Newer generation of Netgear Nighthawk AX routers will be much better than the two old AC routers. But then of course the price will be higher than Xiaomi AX3600 with similar specifications.

Last edited:

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Xiaomi AX3600 CPU and wireless performance will be much much better than these two Netgear routers.

Both R7000 AC1900 (released in 2013, a very good router at that time, comparable to Asus RT-AC68U which was also released in 2013) and R6700 AC1750 (released in 2014, now still sold with revision 3 HW) are very old product and not so sure why the reviewers still review them. I guess they are still good for average users and Netgear has good long term FW support for them. And I will say R7000, RT-AC68U and the Linksys WRT1900AC I was using are all good routers. Still Xiaomi AX3600 will be better than all of them.

BTW, Netgear Singapore has the R6350 AC1750 router still selling at S$109. It is lower end than R6700 AC1750 though.

Newer generation of Netgear Nighthawk AX routers will be much better than the two old AC routers. But then of course the price will be higher than Xiaomi AX3600 with similar specifications.

Thanks you for making me feel good about getting this router again! You are the best!

YouTube has given everybody the power to be an influencer. The power of reaching the masses is not longer in the hands of the media company only.

After testing the "Parental Control" aka "Scheduling" or some call it "Access Control", the firmware on Xiaomi is SO SO SO much better than the Asus' firmware. Now the internet access control is totally in my hands. My kids has to follow the schedule accordingly.

Things I hope Xiaomi can improve :

1. The Guest Network function on Xiaomi is really disappointing. It is only available in the Chinese App and can only set for 2.4Ghz and cannot change the SSID.
2. Parental Control is good but if they can allow for some "Grouping" to be able to group devices will be good. Currently, one needs to set the time to cut off the internet and time to restore back.
3. To be able to name / label the devices.

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Once I downloaded and install the Chinese MiWifi app, it will overwrite the Global English one.

Both interface are quite different and the Global English one do NOT have Guest Wifi network settings.

From my comparison, seems like unless you need the Guest Wifi, the Global English one is ok.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Xiaomi AX3600 stock is getting less and less. For those who want a local version of AX router with warranty, nothing beats Huawei AX3 Quad Core global version right now. The global version has English Web UI and SingTel VLAN support. Two units of AX3 Quad Core version (which forms Huawei Hi-Link mesh) at S$136 (S$68 * 2) will for sure beats Xiaomi AX3600 in terms of wireless coverage. But of course you lose the ability to get SSH access and the CPU will not be as good as the one in Xiaomi AX3600.

Huawei official store in Lazada and Shopee is selling the AX3 Quad core global version at S$68.

Two units will mst likely be able to cover most of the typical household in Singapore if placed properly. So if you need a basic and good mesh solution, two units of AX3 Quad Core global version at S$68 x 2 =S$136 can not be beaten in terms of value for money among local version of AX routers.

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Xiaomi AX3600 stock is getting less and less. For those who want a local version of AX router with warranty, nothing beats Huawei AX3 Quad Core global version right now. The global version has English Web UI and SingTel VLAN support. Two units of AX3 Quad Core version (which forms Huawei Hi-Link mesh) at S$136 (S$68 * 2) will for sure beats Xiaomi AX3600 in terms of wireless coverage. But of course you lose the ability to get SSH access and the CPU will not be as good as the one in Xiaomi AX3600.

How do you know that this Xiaomi AX3600 router stock getting lesser?

Wah, this Huawei AX3 looks good.

What is "SSH access" used for?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How do you know that this Xiaomi AX3600 router stock getting lesser?

Wah, this Huawei AX3 looks good.

What is "SSH access" used for?

I know that Xiaomi AX3600 stocks are getting less and less because I look at Taobao shops and local Lazada/Shopee shops.

As for the SSH access for Xiaomi AX3600, I mentioned quite a few times already. You can have all kinds of enhancement to the function of Xiaomi AX3600 once you gain SSH access to the underline OpenWRT system. For example, you can change the country code, you can enable Singtel VLAN for the China version of AX3600, etc.

And more importantly, it opens up the future option to install official OpenWRT on the Xiaomi AX3600. Then you can count on long term support and many extra features, like wireguard VPN, ad-blocking, extra DDNS provider, etc.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.