Noisy neighbour upstairs

boxies

Reaction score
Someone please help I can't continue living like this. With every knock, stomp, heavy dropping, whatever noise they have make to my ceiling, they have chipped away my sleep, knocked away my brain power, and crashed my ability to form comprehensive sentences and to communicate with people.
The cheapest and most effective way to solve this is to use earplugs. https://www.amazon.sg/Macks-Slim-Soft-Foam-Earplugs/dp/B005YUW7A2/ small and slim ones like these. Get back your health and sleep first then continue the long journey. Take care and fight on

MokkoriChance

Reaction score
Got jump awoke by three loud slams from upstairs at 2am, don’t know is slamming door or what it’s very heavy thumping. Hit back at ceiling with my changkol stick yes I covered the tip with cloth just enough to create loud thump and not damage or dirtied the ceiling.

Recently knockings turn to jumping everyday from upstairs you can feel the vibrations, maybe they got double bunk bed and jump down from above. My case very difficult to record audio (you can’t record vibrations without specialized device) because it happens so randomly. Life greatly affected also suffering from depression, really feel like ending these degenerates what to do. Hate them so much wish them suffer and die of COVID or worse.

Last edited:

MokkoriChance

Reaction score
Someone please help I can't continue living like this. With every knock, stomp, heavy dropping, whatever noise they have make to my ceiling, they have chipped away my sleep, knocked away my brain power, and crashed my ability to form comprehensive sentences and to communicate with people.

TLDR: I am unable to do work, unable to sleep, unable to go out because every time they knock I have to capture it as evidence and basically my life now is just to be woken up by them knocking and then record them making a lot of noise at a frequency of 5-10minutes from 5am to 11.30pm. Between that timing, at a random time they would knock 3 times every 10 seconds and it lasts a while. They are buddhist, so does that 3 knocks every 10 second for a few minutes have to do with religion or is it just them being douchebags? Then finally from 11.30pm I get my peace to do work on computer till only 3am (seriously not enough hours to even get things done). 3am cause I need 1 hour to wind down from the stress and another 1 hour to fall into deep sleep. But sadly 5am they wake up and start making noise. If not, I would be too paranoid to sleep at 5am, afraid that I would be rudely awaken by their stomping/deliberate knocking (always that 6-7knocks pattern and directly above where I sleep) until I can't sleep and it's their waking time and therefore I would have not slept for up to 48 hours. And what a coincidence, they also strike the hardest from 7am to 3pm. Is like they know I'm sleeping during that time. But I can't follow their sleep schedule too because I would have been doing nothing but recording them, hoping to find a perfect take where it capture their loudness and that annoying knocking rhythm they always do with annotation, timestamp and prove that noise is not make by me. Need advice on how I can live normally again.

More details:

I have read all 57 pages of this thread and a lot of people says HDB/Police/CMC/even court is useless. There's even this stuck up representative that came to this thread saying stuff like "All these HDB noises is normal, you want peace, you go landed/condo" which is the type of person I fear I would get if I ever engage any authority. I have since then record every time they stomp, knock, drag furniture, dropping of heavy items, recently got a metal noise/rolling of heavy objects but I am poor so I have only recorded these on my phone with various app. And end up the recording of the noises is not very clear/loud as I have experienced it. So I increase my frequency of recording to match theirs, to show how absurd their amount of noises are. Hoping authorities will take my distress seriously.

I used snapchat at first, which enables me to annotate and put a time stamp on the video but quality turns out poor. I then turned to various voice recording software apps (innate samsung app, dolby audio, even using another phone to find the best audio capture) to capture the sound. But then with audio file, comes the problem of authencity - your upstairs imbecile can say that you are just recording other sounds and then accuse them of making it. Plus there isn't a time indicator to prove they are making noise during quiet hours.

So now I use the innate phone camera to record but then comes the problem of the inability to annotate the video and show the time. To solve this, I wrote on paper to annotate what noise I just captured and then show the clock/other phone of the time. But another problem is that there's only so limited view of the camera. Sometimes when they dropped something loud, I flinched and in the video it looks like I tripped over a chair so therefore they can say can't prove noise is them.

This constant recording got me so tired, I wish I can move out and stay at some place while some thing help to capture all the noise in the house until some help could come but so far reading this forum show that our situation is hopeless. I know any authority wouldn't work for me cause it relies on them opening their freaking door. Which they do not when one of us when up when they are knocking at their floor again. But I still want to at least try get HDB to help us so we could find some info of the noises that's coming from upstairs. We don't exactly know how many people live upstairs. Their neighbours say is a father-son pair but when we saw one guy left the house for work there is still noise and the noise sounds like it was caused by more than one person. And it gets worse on weekends so maybe the son contribute to noise too. I know upstairs are rented from checking the recent transactions at propertyguru so I wish there's something that can be done about that? Any ideas?

And any inexpensive ideas (below $100) on what I can use to capture their noises as evidence? Need good recording device with good audio recording, especially stomping noises (I hate how it's so hard to capture) and can record 24/7 and doesn't eat a lot of memory too? or if by default it will eat a lot of memory I guess I have no choice I just want a good audio recording with a bit of visual to show that I am not the one making noise, it's upstairs. I read about getting security cams but how to avoid buying those where hackers could hack into your camera and control it? And how to know which one good at audio recording?

I also need an audio recorder where it's good to pick up noises from inside the house while you're standing outside. I need it to proof that it's the doing of upstairs selfish *******s.

I recorded my sleep on sleep cycle and my average hours of sleep is only 1-2hour. This has been going on since late july. Weird is that property guru says last rented transaction was in April. I assume they recently moved in? because only recently have so much incessant vexatious noise (it started with the 3 knocks ritual, then hourly thumping and loud knocking but when we only hit back with basketball or bamboo when their knocks are continuously loud, or maybe it was when one of us went up to knock on their door, then the frequency from hourly increased to every 5-10minutes). I even have anxiety attacks because of it.

Please give me some advice. And if you guys have tips like I read some of you journal the sounds I want to know how do you journal it like what categories you have and app you use to journal fast. Someone said they bought a recorder from lazada I really wish the person would reply some of the comments here what recorder was it. And also what can I do within the law towards them? E.g How much can I record? And I read about how even if you leave a note to tell them to quieten down, they can come after you with the note say you harassing them/vandalising their property but how legit is their accusation?
Don’t use phone to record because I’ve tried and the audio play back is very weak, your recordings will likely be useless as evidence. Your case very bad I think best you go CDRT. I didn’t go CDRT so cannot advise because my noises problem is more random. Meanwhile to carry on with life you need to use earplugs or earpiece to play some kind of white noise to block the sound, though you still can hear some noise and feel vibrations it’s better than nothing. Take care.

Totally feel you, stomping knocking and dragging from upstairs. Everyday at home I must play rumbling thunderstorm sound with earpiece on my phone or from my pc speakers non-stop, sometimes both. I have become so troubled and easily startled by upstairs from ceiling I cannot stand a moment even when sleeping without drowning the noises (at least some). I know trying to drown out noises from neighbours with my own noises is kind of adding on to the depression but have no choice.

I have tried but do not recommend sleeping with earplugs or earpieces because of safety and reason, in your case you really need sleep you should try. Now I hit back at ceiling when upstairs become too much. I have knives hammer and axe on ready if upstairs want to fight let them come, don’t depend on police they will never be around on time when you need them. Though always report police first when things happen, 10:30pm to 7:30am is disturbance of peace you have every right to call police even everyday, at the least the police will know that the neighbour is causing trouble not you.

Last edited:

Kanko San

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Bad to hear that you suffered.

If someone make noise, it can be recorded via professional instruments and some one video the process as evidence.

But if vibration, can be 2 types. One caused by movement like treadmill, cycling machine or skipping or jumping on a mat which no noise but the vibration from the movement will also affect your house.

Secondly, your upstairs is using a China made ceiling thumper which is used inverted to harass the unit below according from Google information.
If you want to record the vibration, Sim Lim Tower has a shop. You can buy it about $800. The recording instruments measure vibration and quite small.
You need to stick the device on your ceiling with strong 3M tape n record the vibration.

Lastly read about if you don't care of exchange your life with the culprit.
You must plan when to ambush and what to do after suffered so much.
Don't tell other of what you intent to do.
Reason, you only need 1 chance n it must be perfect revenge.

MokkoriChance

Reaction score
Hi,

Bad to hear that you suffered.

If someone make noise, it can be recorded via professional instruments and some one video the process as evidence.

But if vibration, can be 2 types. One caused by movement like treadmill, cycling machine or skipping or jumping on a mat which no noise but the vibration from the movement will also affect your house.

Secondly, your upstairs is using a China made ceiling thumper which is used inverted to harass the unit below according from Google information.
If you want to record the vibration, Sim Lim Tower has a shop. You can buy it about $800. The recording instruments measure vibration and quite small.
You need to stick the device on your ceiling with strong 3M tape n record the vibration.

Lastly read about if you don't care of exchange your life with the culprit.
You must plan when to ambush and what to do after suffered so much.
Don't tell other of what you intent to do.
Reason, you only need 1 chance n it must be perfect revenge.
See that's exactly the problem just to provide evidence, you need spend lots of cash to buy good equipment to record audio & vibrations separately, video as well. If you hire professionals with their equipment it won't be cheap either. And the bloody time and effort to record when it happens, adding to difficulty when it's very random.

Back when I started hitting back at ceiling with my changkol stick I'm already prepared for escalation, easier to get knives and hammer. Why should I ever consider moving out? The neighbours are causing trouble not me.

Last edited:

Kanko San

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,
If you watch VIU and if you are army trained.
The word is "element of surprise" in order to attack.
You must not show to your enemy that you are suffering due to their torture.
You keep away from them n plan what you want to revenge.
But as mentioned, there is laws.
So an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.
Wait and plan quietly and it may take few months.
Chinese proverb "It may take 10 years for a revenge" Be Patience.

Allgoodnbest

Reaction score
It is indeed my direct downstair neighbour knocking n dragging and all these while I thought was my upstair!! I can feel the vibration and echo as if it was coming from ceiling! Can't quite believe at first.... anyway, I just approached them n hope things will be better.

sinkie886

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am thinking to DIY sound proof my ceiling with this foam.. should cost less than $300 total with an afternoon of work.. wonder if it helps to reduce or not… anyone have any inputs?

Check out '👇KONG PANEL PROMO👇 50x50x5cm Pyramid Acoustic Foam High Density Soundproof for Studio KTV Cinema Meeting Room youtuber live streaming studio singer concert panel recording', available at S$4.80 on #Carousell https://carousell.app.link/03PjJW51Hjb

Kanko San

Master Member
Reaction score
Noise reduction from ceiling cannot be total reduced.
Like orchestral hall, only 1 level which you can prevent the whole place, one by itself.
If noise from next door, you can put oak boards like school musical room.

The only way to reduce totally from upstair is to TERMINATE the source completely.

Peakperiod

Reaction score
I am thinking to DIY sound proof my ceiling with this foam.. should cost less than $300 total with an afternoon of work.. wonder if it helps to reduce or not… anyone have any inputs?

Check out '👇KONG PANEL PROMO👇 50x50x5cm Pyramid Acoustic Foam High Density Soundproof for Studio KTV Cinema Meeting Room youtuber live streaming studio singer concert panel recording', available at S$4.80 on #Carousell
i paid a contractor to soundproof my ceiling, it didnt work at all, i doubt foam will make a difference. the source is from above. unless u can convince yr neighbour upstairs to install sound deadening material + vinyl placed ontop of it, then it would make a difference.

Peakperiod

Reaction score

TLDR: I am unable to do work, unable to sleep, unable to go out because every time they knock I have to capture it as evidence and basically my life now is just to be woken up by them knocking and then record them making a lot of noise at a frequency of 5-10minutes from 5am to 11.30pm. Between that timing, at a random time they would knock 3 times every 10 seconds and it lasts a while. They are buddhist, so does that 3 knocks every 10 second for a few minutes have to do with religion or is it just them being douchebags? Then finally from 11.30pm I get my peace to do work on computer till only 3am (seriously not enough hours to even get things done). 3am cause I need 1 hour to wind down from the stress and another 1 hour to fall into deep sleep. But sadly 5am they wake up and start making noise. If not, I would be too paranoid to sleep at 5am, afraid that I would be rudely awaken by their stomping/deliberate knocking (always that 6-7knocks pattern and directly above where I sleep) until I can't sleep and it's their waking time and therefore I would have not slept for up to 48 hours. And what a coincidence, they also strike the hardest from 7am to 3pm. Is like they know I'm sleeping during that time. But I can't follow their sleep schedule too because I would have been doing nothing but recording them, hoping to find a perfect take where it capture their loudness and that annoying knocking rhythm they always do with annotation, timestamp and prove that noise is not make by me. Need advice on how I can live normally again.

More details:

I have read all 57 pages of this thread and a lot of people says HDB/Police/CMC/even court is useless. There's even this stuck up representative that came to this thread saying stuff like "All these HDB noises is normal, you want peace, you go landed/condo" which is the type of person I fear I would get if I ever engage any authority. I have since then record every time they stomp, knock, drag furniture, dropping of heavy items, recently got a metal noise/rolling of heavy objects but I am poor so I have only recorded these on my phone with various app. And end up the recording of the noises is not very clear/loud as I have experienced it. So I increase my frequency of recording to match theirs, to show how absurd their amount of noises are. Hoping authorities will take my distress seriously.

I used snapchat at first, which enables me to annotate and put a time stamp on the video but quality turns out poor. I then turned to various voice recording software apps (innate samsung app, dolby audio, even using another phone to find the best audio capture) to capture the sound. But then with audio file, comes the problem of authencity - your upstairs imbecile can say that you are just recording other sounds and then accuse them of making it. Plus there isn't a time indicator to prove they are making noise during quiet hours.

So now I use the innate phone camera to record but then comes the problem of the inability to annotate the video and show the time. To solve this, I wrote on paper to annotate what noise I just captured and then show the clock/other phone of the time. But another problem is that there's only so limited view of the camera. Sometimes when they dropped something loud, I flinched and in the video it looks like I tripped over a chair so therefore they can say can't prove noise is them.

This constant recording got me so tired, I wish I can move out and stay at some place while some thing help to capture all the noise in the house until some help could come but so far reading this forum show that our situation is hopeless. I know any authority wouldn't work for me cause it relies on them opening their freaking door. Which they do not when one of us when up when they are knocking at their floor again. But I still want to at least try get HDB to help us so we could find some info of the noises that's coming from upstairs. We don't exactly know how many people live upstairs. Their neighbours say is a father-son pair but when we saw one guy left the house for work there is still noise and the noise sounds like it was caused by more than one person. And it gets worse on weekends so maybe the son contribute to noise too. I know upstairs are rented from checking the recent transactions at propertyguru so I wish there's something that can be done about that? Any ideas?

And any inexpensive ideas (below $100) on what I can use to capture their noises as evidence? Need good recording device with good audio recording, especially stomping noises (I hate how it's so hard to capture) and can record 24/7 and doesn't eat a lot of memory too? or if by default it will eat a lot of memory I guess I have no choice I just want a good audio recording with a bit of visual to show that I am not the one making noise, it's upstairs. I read about getting security cams but how to avoid buying those where hackers could hack into your camera and control it? And how to know which one good at audio recording?

I also need an audio recorder where it's good to pick up noises from inside the house while you're standing outside. I need it to proof that it's the doing of upstairs selfish *******s.

I recorded my sleep on sleep cycle and my average hours of sleep is only 1-2hour. This has been going on since late july. Weird is that property guru says last rented transaction was in April. I assume they recently moved in? because only recently have so much incessant vexatious noise (it started with the 3 knocks ritual, then hourly thumping and loud knocking but when we only hit back with basketball or bamboo when their knocks are continuously loud, or maybe it was when one of us went up to knock on their door, then the frequency from hourly increased to every 5-10minutes). I even have anxiety attacks because of it.

Please give me some advice. And if you guys have tips like I read some of you journal the sounds I want to know how do you journal it like what categories you have and app you use to journal fast. Someone said they bought a recorder from lazada I really wish the person would reply some of the comments here what recorder was it. And also what can I do within the law towards them? E.g How much can I record? And I read about how even if you leave a note to tell them to quieten down, they can come after you with the note say you harassing them/vandalising their property but how legit is their accusation?
been through what u have said. so i know where u are coming from. easiest way is always to 'get another house, top floor', but this has costs involved and you have to await MOP in certain cases. you put your money into a home, spent alot on renovations, only to have low-class standard fools living above you who have no common sense, causes loud noises daily and affects your mental health.

perhaps u can consider the below if you want to retaliate at the fools above you:

1) get a basketball, start bouncing against your ceiling, do it for an hour <think of it as a good workout>

2) buy a ceiling thumper from Alibaba <cost around $150 to $170>

3) buy a rubber mallet and a flat wooden square base <place the wood on the ceiling and start hammering with the mallet. It wont cause damage to your ceiling insteed, the impact will cause alot of noise to the ppl above>

4) buy a Vibration Speaker from Alibaba/Aliexpress and stick onto your ceiling, turn on bluetooth and start playing music with deep BASS or drilling sounds <cost around $100>

5) use the top of the broom and hit against the ceiling <ensure to wrap the top with some cloth or plastic material>

6) handheld weighted sand bag <throw against the ceiling similarly like basketball>

hope this helps you or anyone who wishes to hit back at the neighbours above.

killmepls

Reaction score
been through what u have said. so i know where u are coming from. easiest way is always to 'get another house, top floor', but this has costs involved and you have to await MOP in certain cases. you put your money into a home, spent alot on renovations, only to have low-class standard fools living above you who have no common sense, causes loud noises daily and affects your mental health.

perhaps u can consider the below if you want to retaliate at the fools above you:

1) get a basketball, start bouncing against your ceiling, do it for an hour <think of it as a good workout>

3) buy a rubber mallet and a flat wooden square base <place the wood on the ceiling and start hammering with the mallet. It wont cause damage to your ceiling insteed, the impact will cause alot of noise to the ppl above>

4) buy a Vibration Speaker from Alibaba/Aliexpress and stick onto your ceiling, turn on bluetooth and start playing music with deep BASS or drilling sounds <cost around $100>

5) use the top of the broom and hit against the ceiling <ensure to wrap the top with some cloth or plastic material>

6) handheld weighted sand bag <throw against the ceiling similarly like basketball>

I have tried the aggressive method which is basketball to ceiling, bamboo pole hitting on the ceiling. One time in the earlier days, I would hit every hour back at them during their sleeping hours (since my sleep hours is opposite of theirs) to get them back for every hour hitting me back.

They got even aggressive and start purposely dropping heavy items, stomping whenever and wherever they can. As they stomp they would use a pole to knock from the kitchen to the living room and the bedrooms. And their intervals from an hour, increase to 5-10minutes.

Now even when I hit one 1 time, literally just 1 hit, then they start to hit back 6-10 hits.

I have thought of ceiling thumper but because of how persistent my neighbour is, my ceiling thumper has to be set to hit from 7am to 10.30pm non stop. And I am afraid it might bother my downstairs neighbour. And I think one day of thumping continuously won't send them a signal because of how vengeful they're, it needs to be one week of non-stop thumping for them. Whilst the ceiling thumper does it job, my mother who likes to stay home and zoom would have to bear with the noise too and if finally upstairs come to deal with her she will have to face them and she isn't great at talking either so I not sure if I can trust her to settle once and for all. I also feel it's unfair to her since this is was my decision to put the thumper but I can't talk due to my anxiety.

Basically as one of the post I've read on here once said, you are always at the disadvantage when you're living downstairs.

Last edited:

sinkie886

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i paid a contractor to soundproof my ceiling, it didnt work at all, i doubt foam will make a difference. the source is from above. unless u can convince yr neighbour upstairs to install sound deadening material + vinyl placed ontop of it, then it would make a difference.
Thanks for advice. I will cancel my foam order now..
U did the false ceiling ??? I got quoted 3.2k for a room to do false ceiling with sound board inside.. madness..

killmepls

Reaction score
Don’t use phone to record because I’ve tried and the audio play back is very weak, your recordings will likely be useless as evidence. Your case very bad I think best you go CDRT. I didn’t go CDRT so cannot advise because my noises problem is more random. Meanwhile to carry on with life you need to use earplugs or earpiece to play some kind of white noise to block the sound, though you still can hear some noise and feel vibrations it’s better than nothing. Take care.

Totally feel you, stomping knocking and dragging from upstairs. Everyday at home I must play rumbling thunderstorm sound with earpiece on my phone or from my pc speakers non-stop, sometimes both. I have become so troubled and easily startled by upstairs from ceiling I cannot stand a moment even when sleeping without drowning the noises (at least some). I know trying to drown out noises from neighbours with my own noises is kind of adding on to the depression but have no choice.

I have tried but do not recommend sleeping with earplugs or earpieces because of safety and reason, in your case you really need sleep you should try. Now I hit back at ceiling when upstairs become too much. I have knives hammer and axe on ready if upstairs want to fight let them come, don’t depend on police they will never be around on time when you need them. Though always report police first when things happen, 10:30pm to 7:30am is disturbance of peace you have every right to call police even everyday, at the least the police will know that the neighbour is causing trouble not you.
I can't go CDRT cause I'm too poor. What would you suggest that is a good audio recording device?
I feel you too especially on one of your post on how you're angry and can't even approach them because you scared that your anger will take over and talking to them might actually made things worse. I feel the same, that they're driving me towards my death. I am already struggling with social anxiety and depression and now they have to make things worse for me.

I have read about how sleeping with earplugs can be damaging too. I can't decide between sleep or keeping my hearing healthy. But my work does need me to have good hearing. I hate how for us to tolerate upstairs, it would mean resorting to damaging your ears so that you can hear lesser sound frequencies therefore lesser noise from them. Since apparently things like ear plugs and playing white noise all the time are actually damaging to your ears. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...aid-may-do-more-harm-than-good-say-scientists. Why is it that we are the ones who need to destroy our hearing for people who are inconsiderate to us?

Can't really call police cause while they still make noise after quiet hours, they purposely make it so that it's at a lower decibel where it's impossible for me to complain about, but enough so that I can be annoyed.

Last edited:

killmepls

Reaction score
I am sad to hear that.
My friend had something like you and he went to book 2 month at Geylang Bunk Hotel ($20 a month).
He work from home at 9 am. After work..eat dinner n went to sleep at bunk Hotel. At least he get sleep from 10 pm till 6 am, 8 hours.
No point see TC, RC,HDB or Police.
Unless you want to kill that person n you also be prepared for life or death sentence.
Go watch VIU..Korean Drama n Suspense on killers on how they murder pple for fun
Thanks for the suggestion, but I feel like I can't run away to live in a separate place forever. I am still bound to face the problem of lunatics from the upper floor sooner or later.

sinkie886

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Retaliation often result in more noise..
Months ago when I call hdb and town council to complain, they did send ppl come down to try to “talk” to my neighbour.. but the **** just deny is him lor.. and guess what… that night and next few days morning the noise get even worse…
Calling police is useless coz the noise is intermittent and random.. like every 10-15 knock one time since 7am…

Kanko San

Master Member
Reaction score
After reading all these.

Either you take it and move house.

Or you can aim for their youngest or weaker member to take revenge when time/chance arrived. That all I can say.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.