Noisy neighbour upstairs

Peakperiod

Reaction score
Retaliation often result in more noise..
Months ago when I call hdb and town council to complain, they did send ppl come down to try to “talk” to my neighbour.. but the **** just deny is him lor.. and guess what… that night and next few days morning the noise get even worse…
Calling police is useless coz the noise is intermittent and random.. like every 10-15 knock one time since 7am…
Yes..have to expect retaliation...once go down that route..no turning back. I believe everyone's annoying neighbour here has different levels of madness. Either live in the noise all the way or fight back (& still live in the noise hoping one day they give up, but never knowing when that day may come).

Peakperiod

Reaction score
Thanks for advice. I will cancel my foam order now..
U did the false ceiling ??? I got quoted 3.2k for a room to do false ceiling with sound board inside.. madness..
I actually googled for ceiling soundproofing. Not many companies provide such services for residential budget price (below 10k). Majority are for businesses. Hence my search came out with 4 companies, ended up going with the cheapest one (5k). The rest were priced at 7k to 10k.

After doing research on the product they bring in from Europe...I thought why not.. seems legit.

But after the installation..perhaps it became worst. Its a 5cm drop from the ceiling. Insulated with a thin layer of sound deadening material and gysump board. Really disappointed with the outcome..put money aside..I just wanted to reduce the noise by at least 30 to 40% but it seemed it gained more noise by 20%.

4 days installation....5k total cost. End result was disappointing. Perhaps the company I engaged failed to do a proper installation, who knows. All I can say is...the source is from above...have to target from above.

I should have used my money to convince my neighbour upstairs for me to affix for them sound deadening matt covered by vinyl flooring of their choice, instead of soundproofing my ceiling.

But I have moved on from this and carried on in a positive way. I'll take it as a 'learning step' when buying a house next time.

sinkie886

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I actually googled for ceiling soundproofing. Not many companies provide such services for residential budget price (below 10k). Majority are for businesses. Hence my search came out with 4 companies, ended up going with the cheapest one (5k). The rest were priced at 7k to 10k.

After doing research on the product they bring in from Europe...I thought why not.. seems legit.

But after the installation..perhaps it became worst. Its a 5cm drop from the ceiling. Insulated with a thin layer of sound deadening material and gysump board. Really disappointed with the outcome..put money aside..I just wanted to reduce the noise by at least 30 to 40% but it seemed it gained more noise by 20%.

4 days installation....5k total cost. End result was disappointing. Perhaps the company I engaged failed to do a proper installation, who knows. All I can say is...the source is from above...have to target from above.

I should have used my money to convince my neighbour upstairs for me to affix for them sound deadening matt covered by vinyl flooring of their choice, instead of soundproofing my ceiling.

But I have moved on from this and carried on in a positive way. I'll take it as a 'learning step' when buying a house next time.
I got quoted 3k+ for a false ceiling work with sound proofing panel installed.. but tbh I dun think will be even as effective as just using foam earplug….
I ordered this recently still waiting for it to arrive… hopefully will help me to sleep..

https://quieton.com/

Kanko San

Master Member
Reaction score
How do you know when they will moved house ?
Most probably not.
One of my friend, his upper unit make a lot of noise.
He was smart & never tried to talk peace.
He didn't want to alert upstairs that he is taking action.
In the end, he took action and upstairs moved house.
Cos upstairs don't know who they have offended as the noise travelled from their house to all other units.
Lesson learned is keep quiet n take action.

Kanko San

Master Member
Reaction score
Like my cousin once being disturbed by upstairs. He knew it cos during CNY, he played mahjong on one night.
Next few days, suddenly got hammering on his ceiling.
He tried to ask upstairs and the noise n hammering still continued.
Their family then go on cruise to avoid the noise over the weekend. When they came back and got disturbed again. My cousin went up and found that upstairs had installed a camera to record plus changed the door from key lock to digital to prevent glueing their key hole.
Obviously the upstairs knew that they are causing distress to him and protect themselves with door camera.
That why when you tried to "talk" to un reasonable person, they will disturb more but they take care of their action.

lolthestone

Reaction score
It is indeed my direct downstair neighbour knocking n dragging and all these while I thought was my upstair!! I can feel the vibration and echo as if it was coming from ceiling! Can't quite believe at first.... anyway, I just approached them n hope things will be better.
Hi, what sound do you hear that was caused by downstairs but seem like come from upstairs? Does it include footstep sound?

Kanko San

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, what sound do you hear that was caused by downstairs but seem like come from upstairs? Does it include footstep sound?
When you heard noise from upstair, you take a pole to hit the ceiling.
And if upstair hit back, it is very obvious.
You know it.
But when you asked the upstairs family, he or she will denied it.
Hence dont asked or try to talk.
Let them test your patience.
Take your time to revenge even it is a few months.
No need to talk or ask them to quiet down or they will purposely do.

There are a few action to take but keep your cool.

killmepls

Reaction score
After reading all these.

Either you take it and move house.

Or you can aim for their youngest or weaker member to take revenge when time/chance arrived. That all I can say.
I think if really no choice I might have to consider your option of bunking in but I would need to find some way to have money. I am worried though cause I don't do well with people, might there be new problems like the people you stay with might be shady? Would prefer a place where I have a room to myself and able to lock the room for security.
How do you know when they will moved house ?
Most probably not.
One of my friend, his upper unit make a lot of noise.
He was smart & never tried to talk peace.
He didn't want to alert upstairs that he is taking action.
In the end, he took action and upstairs moved house.
Cos upstairs don't know who they have offended as the noise travelled from their house to all other units.
Lesson learned is keep quiet n take action.
Would you elaborate more on what action did he take?

Last edited:

Allgoodnbest

Reaction score
It was dragging of furnitures everyday from 5am, banging, knocking and slamming. Seriously, I can't believe at first cos it was really like on my ceiling, direct upstair! I can hear footsteps sound occasionally but I believed is my upper next door unit cos my direct upstair is vacant since last year March.(2020). HDB told me so.

Kanko San

Master Member
Reaction score
Of course when you stay in a capsule hotel like in Geylang (My Space), you can meet some kinds of pple.
Some stayed long term like 3 months and quite quiet.
They woke up n go to work n back to sleep around 9 or 10 pm.
Due to covid, normal 6 in a bunk become 3 persons.
Try book 1 month first or 3 weeks n before due dates, let the in-charge know on advance that you wish to continue.
Got locker for you to keep. While staying there, you get to sleep and do some planning.

killmepls

Reaction score
Anyone knows what audio visual recorder I can use that can capture their noise 24/7 and also record some kind of video to prove I am not the one doing the noise? Got woken up by their stomping again when I just finally slept an hour ago. When I try to use my phone to record, my phone runs out of storage or they just nice stop stomping when I record hence wasted memory space in recording so irritating. And I can't just stop my life to record them all the time just to prove to hdb that my case is worthwhile to look into.

Last edited:

Kanko San

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows what recorder I can use that can capture their noise 24/7 and also record some kind of video to prove I am not the one doing the noise. Got woken up by their stomping again when I just finally slept an hour ago. When I try to use my phone to record, my phone runs out of storage or they just nice stop stomping when I record hence wasted memory space in recording so irritating. And I can't just stop my life to record them all the time just to prove to hdb that my case is worthwhile to look into.
Try www.yfong.com.sg

Model VB-8213 or RS-232 VB -8220
Less than $1k. You can attach the device on your ceiling with 3M tape like I taped my fire alarm device on my hall ceiling.
You can download the recording onto your laptop.

Kanko San

Master Member
Reaction score
Try www.yfong.com.sg

Model VB-8213 or RS-232 VB -8220
Less than $1k. You can attach the device on your ceiling with 3M tape like I taped my fire alarm device on my hall ceiling.
You can download the recording onto your laptop.
Apologies..that device is for recording vibration.
For noise..there are some vendor but now covid- short of technician.
The supplier will set up at night n record 12 hours, say 8 pm to 8 am

lolthestone

Reaction score
It was dragging of furnitures everyday from 5am, banging, knocking and slamming. Seriously, I can't believe at first cos it was really like on my ceiling, direct upstair! I can hear footsteps sound occasionally but I believed is my upper next door unit cos my direct upstair is vacant since last year March.(2020). HDB told me so.
Hmm I have hear similar noise like slamming noise and dropping object noise and footstep noise which sound like come from upstairs. But upstairs deny.

One time I heard the footstep noise very frequently in my living room and decided to go check if anyone was in the unit upstairs. The unit upstairs living room light was turned off indicating they may not be at home at that time.

Kanko San

Master Member
Reaction score
Hmm I have hear similar noise like slamming noise and dropping object noise and footstep noise which sound like come from upstairs. But upstairs deny.

One time I heard the footstep noise very frequently in my living room and decided to go check if anyone was in the unit upstairs. The unit upstairs living room light was turned off indicating they may not be at home at that time.
I can walk around my hall with dim or light in the kitchen toilet as I am used to my home location.
People used to do things in the dark but God can see.

Allgoodnbest

Reaction score

Could be your upper next door unit too! And yes, if my direct downstair dropped something, I can hear too! eg. Laundry poles.
I am sure not my direct upstair cos it is cfm vacant.

lolthestone

Reaction score
Just as an experiment I put my ear against my floor. Can hear banging and dropping object sound very clearly .

Does this mean the dropping object sound when I don't put my ear against the wall is coming from Downstairs?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.