[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge - Part 2

Burningbone

Reaction score
Good for you.

My red shrimps kept dying till I give up. Bought many times from different places and same thing happened.

Now switch to tetra and they are doing well in the same tank.

Couldn't figure out why the shrimps died.
Is there heavy metal contain in the water like copper? Fish won't die but shrimp will if there is. Generally those red shrimp is hardy, I use them to cycled my water on first day 😂

Forever84

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good for you.

My red shrimps kept dying till I give up. Bought many times from different places and same thing happened.

Now switch to tetra and they are doing well in the same tank.

Couldn't figure out why the shrimps died.
You need to drip acclimate them for 6 hours

Previously my shrimp also always die, after I drip acclimate was successful, got like tons of babies and new generation now. Even got Mexican crayfish in successfully

Burningbone

Reaction score
Recently very hot and my tank temp going at 31-32c at night. Don't even know what is the temp @ day light when I am out at work. Anybody got diy to make the tank cooler? I use mini fan and it drop less than 1c.

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
Recently very hot and my tank temp going at 31-32c at night. Don't even know what is the temp @ day light when I am out at work. Anybody got diy to make the tank cooler? I use mini fan and it drop less than 1c.
get this, a small pump, hose and a styrofoam box.
can diy a chiller liao.
yieryi-AC-112-Digital-Waterproof-Temperature-Controller-Microcomputer-Thermostat-for-Aquarium-Reptile-NTC-Sensor.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
Wa sound good! But How does this work to cool the tank? Or what is the set up need to do?
i explain this before in this thread.
here is a summary.

connect the pump to a coil of hose (at least 10m) and put the pump into your tank.
put the hose inside the styrofoam box with ice and keep it as air tight as possible.
that device will measure your tank temp and you can set a triggered temp to activate the pump.
eg. you set the trigger point at 28c, the pump (which you plug into this device) will start to pump water from your tank, go thru the hose ice box and back into the tank.
this should start cooling the water.

hope you get what i am trying to say.

Burningbone

Reaction score
Oh ok. So the pump active by temperature and the hose is with the ice and once the air pump, it supposedly to pump cooler air into the system. I probably can try your way without the thermostats first. Since my tank temp kept hovering around 30-31+
29.8 is the best with hob tidal making wave, additional air pump creating bubble from below, usb fan and portable air con facing it. 😂
And that is just my bottom tank, my top tank is even hotter. But mainly is fish at the top. Bottom tank my shrimp cannot take it liao 🤭 daily 1 dead and I will feed my apisto with it.

P.S. I still have a betta tank without pump facing the window. I never check but I assume the temperature of the tank shld be around 31-33c, since my top tank with hob creating strong wave can reach around that temp.
Going to buy pump for the betta asap liao.

Recently the weather is too hot 😩

Burningbone

Reaction score
No. You misunderstood him.

Step 1. Have a box like this filled with ICE and maybe some salt to further lower the temp. Make sure it is well insulated to prevent Heat from entering. Connect rubber hose to the inlet and outlet.
Aquarium-Water-Cooler-Heat-Exchanger-with-Coil-Fish-Tank-Water.jpg

Step 2. Connect the Hose outlet to another coil like this and put this into the Aquarium.
images

Step 3. Connect other end of the coil to a hose and connect this hose to a water pump inlet.
Step 4. Connect pump outlet to box inlet with another hose.
Step 5. Use the thermostat to control the ON/OFF of the water pump.

Personally i think just use a stronger fan will do. These few days outside temperature is 34 degree C. My house is 30 degree C. My fish tank with a USB fan blowing is 27/28 degree C. Quite comfortable temp for shrimps.

4e8de4dccfbf20b27e008240f788451a

My current shrimp tank temperature.
KNEVUKp.jpeg
Ohhh! Thanks for the clarification!

TehSi99

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone keeping red plants with just normal LED lighting and no CO2?

I am looking for red plants that able to keep in such conditions. Thanks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.