Which AVR is the best?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a noob in HT

I want to do a 5.1 system, which AVR is suitable for this? Not looking to get all fancy, just get the job done with decent price & sound. Don't think I'll be going more than 5.1

I'll be using to watch movies mainly via netflix, disney+, etc.

Also I just want to use the TV sound for daily usage, can I do this? Or must I always use the 5.1? Thanks!

My budget for AVR + 5.1 setup is about $2.5k
What TV are you using now and where's its location i.e. in the hall or in one of your rooms?

:rolleyes:

frenzzsg

Reaction score
if U have budget to blow on 4-7k on just AVR sure go for it.
https://av1group.com.sg/collections/arcam
note they are not HDMI 2.1 yet.
if U just want to do 5.1 a AVR10 will do. Don't know how much is upgrade to HDMI 2.1.
issue with Dirac, if you are not technical its a pain to configure the system.

Denon or Yamaha is easier. Denon room correction algo is more complex than Yamaha.
ppl sold their Arcam for Denon just because dirac is not user friendly.

if bluray player. not sure if you can get Panasonic DP-UB9000 but Pioneer UDP-LX500 is $1.5k. IPUK also good, reading around it state its a OPPO clone.

speakers can get very expensive fast! Wilson cost alot, Revel Performa is like $8K for tower speakers alone. too many choice out there too. dont blow all your budget on AVR.

if you plan on doing a 5.2.4 then look for a AVR which supports that now. if you don't mind separates the like me get a separate Amp to power your atmos.

this year not a good year to upgrade. parts hard to find a pricing all high. denon and marantz all have trouble getting parts today.

enjoy your hunt!

Actually i was really hoping that my old ARCAM can be repaired and last me for another 2 years.
Then i will upgrade my AVR and expand/add on speakers when i shift house. *fingers crossed*

Sighs, the hunt is always so fun but painful.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

beary2teddy

Reaction score

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can soundbar give the surround sounds? I quite like the sound when things like zoom past me

u get it zooming in front of you.
Depending on room shape, you can get rear effects.

some sound bar has 2 rear wireless speakers. U can hear things zooming behind

if room shape cannot accommodate. 5.1 but 2.5k budget for AVR and 5 speakers and sub. New hard, some used possible

Last edited:

frenzzsg

Reaction score
Actually i was really hoping that my old ARCAM can be repaired and last me for another 2 years.
Then i will upgrade my AVR and expand/add on speakers when i shift house. *fingers crossed*

Sighs, the hunt is always so fun but painful.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

HELP!!!

Quotation for repair came back to ~$1k as the HDMI board is burnt.

My plan is (ideally), to get a preowned AVR for use of another 2yrs, then i will upgrade the AVR together with my speaker to 11.2.

Thought maybe it's a good time for me to try out some other brands....^_^
So far shortlisted 3 :

1. Yamaha Adventage RX-A2070 AVR - $1k+
2. Arcam AVR550 - $2k+
3. Denon AVR-X7200W - $1k+

My heart is more tilted towards 1 & 3, but becuz i'm more familiar with Arcam, shd i just go with that?
Any owner of the above avr can comment on your experience will be great!!

Really not looking at an upgrade to a brand new AVR cuz it just doesnt make sense to me as i will only upgrade my speakers when shifting to a new place, which will be at least 2yrs later.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HELP!!!

My plan is (ideally), to get a preowned AVR for use of another 2yrs, then i will upgrade the AVR together with my speaker to 11.2.

Really not looking at an upgrade to a brand new AVR cuz it just doesnt make sense to me as i will only upgrade my speakers when shifting to a new place, which will be at least 2yrs later.

Just get a low end denon which supports 5.1. A new 1700 just $1k.

https://denononlinestore.com/collections/audio-visual-receiver/products/avr-x1700h

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Just get a low end denon which supports 5.1. A new 1700 just $1k.

https://denononlinestore.com/collections/audio-visual-receiver/products/avr-x1700h
Yah they say actually power wise, x1700h or x3700h compared to higher end models only about 3 dB difference at max volume if I not wrong. Get at least x3700h if u want audyssey xt32 room correction. Otherwise x1700h is fine I guess. Can get quotes from different shops in adelphi for best offer. Also if u gonna have 8k equipment like xbox, u may wanna check if the new x3700h comes with new hdmi board or must use the external hdmi adaptor.

Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1700 vs 3700 more Power but not alot
80watts - 2ch driven
105 watts - 2 ch driven

5 channel driven pwr per channel generally drop.

plans to upgrade 2 yes later, no need meet 8k requirements now. Set the bar lower now and save up for more expensive AVR and speakers

Last edited:

Clearnfc

Banned
Reaction score
HELP!!!

Thought maybe it's a good time for me to try out some other brands....^_^
So far shortlisted 3 :

1. Yamaha Adventage RX-A2070 AVR - $1k+
2. Arcam AVR550 - $2k+
3. Denon AVR-X7200W - $1k+

My heart is more tilted towards 1 & 3, but becuz i'm more familiar with Arcam, shd i just go with that?
Any owner of the above avr can comment on your experience will be great!!

Nay, I feel Arcam is not worth the price these days. You are better off going for Denon.

Clearnfc

Banned
Reaction score
1700 vs 3700 more Power but not alot
80watts - 2ch driven
105 watts - 2 ch driven

5 channel driven pwr per channel generally drop.

plans to upgrade 2 yes later, no need meet 8k requirements now. Set the bar lower now and save up for more expensive AVR and speakers

Yes, 5 channel driven the power per channel will usually drop as transformer is not big enough to cater for each channel.

frenzzsg

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!

Gotten a pretty decent offer so will be getting the x3700H. Just in time for Black Friday sales. ^_^

ezyldor

Reaction score
Mind sharing your offered price for the X3700H. Am waiting for the Onkyo NR7100 or RZ50 to hit SG. But looks like I’ll be waiting forever.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!

Gotten a pretty decent offer so will be getting the x3700H. Just in time for Black Friday sales. ^_^
If getting the x3700h, also consider buying and downloading the multiEQ editor app from app store / Google play store. Allows u to remove default BBC dip for more accurate sound quality among other things. But must remember to run audyssey with the app instead of during avr starting setup.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nay, I feel Arcam is not worth the price these days. You are better off going for Denon.

Arcam you paying for stable power it can deliver even you driving 5 or 7 channel with little lost in power. You also get like freq SW update, maybe 2 or more times a year.
Singapore I think better go with NAD, arcam warranty here is 1 yr vs 5 yr in USA

for those who big budget can go with separates.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mind sharing your offered price for the X3700H. Am waiting for the Onkyo NR7100 or RZ50 to hit SG. But looks like I’ll be waiting forever.

They out in states but always sold out.
there are no announcements in Singapore too. Next year June maybe

Clearnfc

Banned
Reaction score
Arcam you paying for stable power it can deliver even you driving 5 or 7 channel with little lost in power. You also get like freq SW update, maybe 2 or more times a year.
Singapore I think better go with NAD, arcam warranty here is 1 yr vs 5 yr in USA

for those who big budget can go with separates.

Regarding the power, yes, i do agree. I still have an old arcam avr300 and it has very decent power. Can even use the rear surround for bi-amping.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.