learning japanese

lydiaa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone here use prc textbook? i using the 新標準日本語 buy from taobao quite cheap and then i just go on bilibili and steal free lessons. i in the middle of n4, i try a n5 mock paper i pass, not amazing but a comfortable pass

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

fattyfish

Reaction score
I studied at Bunka a really long time ago but studying at Ikoma now

I feel Ikoma is very good for unmotivated or busy learners like me 🤣. I have not done the homework in years but still manage to get through most of the lessons. Bunka on the other hand is overall shorter in total duration and thus more intense.

One of the advantages of Bunka is that they teach you all the forms (including the very important dictionary form) right from the start, In my opinion, this is a very good move as it becomes easier for the student to conjugate the verb in more advanced classes. Ikoma starts from masu-form and then goes back to dictionary form. While not an issue for many students, some students have to first conjugate the masu-form backwards back to dictionary and then conjugate forward again. Bunka is really better for me for elementary class.

In terms of location, Ikoma wins. It is so close to the MRT whereas Bunka is a short walk (unsheltered) from the MRT; the location is a little bit at the fringe of Orchard Road.

Classroom setting wise, I slightly prefer Ikoma where all tables face the front towards the whiteboard. I haven't been to Bunka in awhile so my experience may be outdated, but their seating is U-shaped so most of the time you will be facing your other classmates. This is for the purpose of practising conversation with different people. Downside is that you may have to tilt your body to face the whiteboard.

Physical/online wise, I prefer physical by a large margin (especially if its a weekend class). Can hang out at Orchard Road after class but more importantly, I cannot concentrate when the class is over Zoom. I will do almost anything else (online shopping, reading forums like this etc.) but will not listen to the class. I also don't really like to talk to the screen for Japanese lessons (I'm ok to do this for work though haha).

Sensei-wise, it's really up to the individual but most impt you can find one that you are comfortable with. Some are funny (huge plus for most people), others are more serious but good at teaching, but there are also some that don't really teach well even. Similar to real-life, the more charismatic a sensei is, the more popular with the students.
Hi,

Is bunka better than ikoma for beginners? Am looking for a school for a while but as most schools was doing online classes due to covid, now seems like some already have physical classes. Same here, for classes i really do not like online/zoom cos can't concentrate, hah, plus hard to really ask questions to trainer.

Oh usually online classes are cheaper?

My colleague is taking Japanese for a few months and for quite a while they move it to online and the fees remain as physical classes. She is not taking at bunka or ikoma, thus can't help me in my queries. But she said the teacher is important as doesn't mean the school is popular/good, the teacher you get can be hmmm
She actually chose her current school cos of that but the teacher she got is not very adept in teaching and engaging, and kinda always rushing to end class (maybe cos the class is not 3 hours?). Told her to ask if can change class since she already find it a chore to attend class as it is still online despite signing up for physical class

So i am a bit worried that i will end up like her, the teacher is not that good ba.

Both bunka and ikoma classes are 3 hours ya? Beside these two, also thinking of Tomo. But bunka can claim skills future.

thanks.

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is bunka better than ikoma for beginners? Am looking for a school for a while but as most schools was doing online classes due to covid, now seems like some already have physical classes. Same here, for classes i really do not like online/zoom cos can't concentrate, hah, plus hard to really ask questions to trainer.

My colleague is taking Japanese for a few months and for quite a while they move it to online and the fees remain as physical classes. She is not taking at bunka or ikoma, thus can't help me in my queries. But she said the teacher is important as doesn't mean the school is popular/good, the teacher you get can be hmmm
She actually chose her current school cos of that but the teacher she got is not very adept in teaching and engaging, and kinda always rushing to end class (maybe cos the class is not 3 hours?). Told her to ask if can change class since she already find it a chore to attend class as it is still online despite signing up for physical class

So i am a bit worried that i will end up like her, the teacher is not that good ba.

Both bunka and ikoma classes are 3 hours ya? Beside these two, also thinking of Tomo. But bunka can claim skills future.

thanks.

Personally, I think Bunka and Ikoma are equally good for beginners, but I understand Bunka has a bit more focus on grammar at the start. But the location is more ulu. Honestly, its been many years since i was in Beginner class so things may have changed at both bunka/ikoma already.

Price-wise between online and in-person, I think its best if you enquire separately with each school. I think online may be cheaper but I don't know by how much. If its online, you actually have a lot more options (in fact you can even say its global) compared to in-person. No harm calling the school up to check, they are more than happy to answer your queries.

The thing about Ikoma and Bunka is that for each intake, especially for beginner classes, there is this sort of cohort system where there is a synchronised lesson schedule for classes on different days of the week. That means, if you cannot attend one of your classes on that day (e.g. a weekend class). you can attend the replacement class on another day where there is the same lesson (could be a weekday or weekend class). And if you prefer the sensei in that class, you could just switch over to it permanently as well. Of course, it has to be at a timing you are comfortable with as well. But if you really cannot switch due to the timing, there is always an option to take a break for a term and join the next cohort with a diff sensei (though not many people do this).

I forgot how long each class is for Beginners, best if you call them directly to check ba. Can ask for the prices also.

fattyfish

Reaction score
Personally, I think Bunka and Ikoma are equally good for beginners, but I understand Bunka has a bit more focus on grammar at the start. But the location is more ulu. Honestly, its been many years since i was in Beginner class so things may have changed at both bunka/ikoma already.

Price-wise between online and in-person, I think its best if you enquire separately with each school. I think online may be cheaper but I don't know by how much. If its online, you actually have a lot more options (in fact you can even say its global) compared to in-person. No harm calling the school up to check, they are more than happy to answer your queries.

The thing about Ikoma and Bunka is that for each intake, especially for beginner classes, there is this sort of cohort system where there is a synchronised lesson schedule for classes on different days of the week. That means, if you cannot attend one of your classes on that day (e.g. a weekend class). you can attend the replacement class on another day where there is the same lesson (could be a weekday or weekend class). And if you prefer the sensei in that class, you could just switch over to it permanently as well. Of course, it has to be at a timing you are comfortable with as well. But if you really cannot switch due to the timing, there is always an option to take a break for a term and join the next cohort with a diff sensei (though not many people do this).

I forgot how long each class is for Beginners, best if you call them directly to check ba. Can ask for the prices also.
thanks a lot for the info. :)

that's great regarding the replacement class and also to see if the sensei style of teaching suits one or not.

concreteman

Reaction score
also planning to relearn some basic japanese too and looking at the schools ,though Hougang school's cheaper option is tempting lol

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
also planning to relearn some basic japanese too and looking at the schools ,though Hougang school's cheaper option is tempting lol
Yeah it's quite ok too, and can be convenient if you stay nearby.

JCS is also quite popular

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone can talk abt how hot the n2 spots are? isit very high demand need to snatch spots one?

Read HWZ Forum Rules!
Nobody knows cause for the Dec 2021 JLPT exam, they only consist of candidates from the July exam which unfortunately could not take place then. But yes, it was damn hard to register for the July exam that time. Like it was literally filled just moments after it opened for registration.

The next exam will be next year (2022) July la. By that time, if really COVID-endemic liao, its quite possible they will revert back to pre-covid numbers which means everyone can get a chance to sit for the exam. But no one can tell so fingers crossed.

lydiaa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nobody knows cause for the Dec 2021 JLPT exam, they only consist of candidates from the July exam which unfortunately could not take place then. But yes, it was damn hard to register for the July exam that time. Like it was literally filled just moments after it opened for registration.
The next exam will be next year (2022) July la. By that time, if really COVID-endemic liao, its quite possible they will revert back to pre-covid numbers which means everyone can get a chance to sit for the exam. But no one can tell so fingers crossed.

so usually is everyone can take one ah, no need snatch one

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

MilkGreen

Reaction score
Hi,

thanks.
For me, the teacher is important. I really like Ikoma because they have many classes in the same level, e.g. Beginner 1-1 can have 10 classes. If I don't like my teacher, I can have a replacement class to the other class, and I can choose the teacher I'm most comfortable with. I believe Bunka is the same, but Ikoma has more classes than Bunka in a cohort, so more teachers to choose.

I tried Tomo before. Unfortunately Tomo only has one class for each level. One thing I like about Tomo, though, is that they use a big TV to teach. So the teacher can show you websites / YouTube videos. Ikoma is old-school, they're still using whiteboard to teach.

fattyfish

Reaction score
For me, the teacher is important. I really like Ikoma because they have many classes in the same level, e.g. Beginner 1-1 can have 10 classes. If I don't like my teacher, I can have a replacement class to the other class, and I can choose the teacher I'm most comfortable with. I believe Bunka is the same, but Ikoma has more classes than Bunka in a cohort, so more teachers to choose.

I tried Tomo before. Unfortunately Tomo only has one class for each level. One thing I like about Tomo, though, is that they use a big TV to teach. So the teacher can show you websites / YouTube videos. Ikoma is old-school, they're still using whiteboard to teach.
i see, thanks a lot. now waiting to see the jan 2022 schedule for bunka and tomo

taredeee97

Reaction score
has anyone attended toguchi sensei’s lessons at Bunka before?

(I’m currently attending classes by another sensei but she would be away for a while - but I have never attended toguchi sensei’s classes before and idk how her teaching styles are like)

Soitfriday

Reaction score
Hello, i intend to self study for this year and to try to complete a N5. I read online that it's quite possible. May i know what are the books or website i can prepare for N5? Shall try on my own , if not possible. I will enrol for school. Just a challenge i set for myself this year

nwstbz23

Reaction score
Hello, i intend to self study for this year and to try to complete a N5. I read online that it's quite possible. May i know what are the books or website i can prepare for N5? Shall try on my own , if not possible. I will enrol for school. Just a challenge i set for myself this year
I cleared N5 by self-study in July 2018. Some resources (not exhaustive as there are more) I used are as follows:

Books
みんなの日本語 初級1 第2版本冊 (SG Kino link click here) --> the main textbook I used.

みんなの日本語初級 1 翻訳・文法解説(英語版) (SG Kino link click here) -->English translation and explanatory notes to the main Minna no Nihongo textbook.

TRY! 日本語能力試験 N5 文法から伸ばす日本語 改訂版 (SG Kino link click here) --> Helps to master grammar

日本語総まとめN5かんじ・ことば・ぶんぽう・読む・聞く-「日本語能力試験(JLPT)」対策 (SG Kino link click here)

Sample JLPT mock exam questions at the official website at https://www.jlpt.jp/e/samples/sample09.html

Websites
Meguro Language Centre (MLC) for JLPT N5 --> https://www.mlcjapanese.co.jp/n5.html
NHK News Easy website --> https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/
Nihongo Ichiban (specific for JLPT N5) --> https://nihongoichiban.com/home/jlpt-n5-study-material/

Soitfriday

Reaction score
I cleared N5 by self-study in July 2018. Some resources (not exhaustive as there are more) I used are as follows:

Books
みんなの日本語 初級1 第2版本冊 (SG Kino link click here) --> the main textbook I used.

みんなの日本語初級 1 翻訳・文法解説(英語版) (SG Kino link click here) -->English translation and explanatory notes to the main Minna no Nihongo textbook.

TRY! 日本語能力試験 N5 文法から伸ばす日本語 改訂版 (SG Kino link click here) --> Helps to master grammar

日本語総まとめN5かんじ・ことば・ぶんぽう・読む・聞く-「日本語能力試験(JLPT)」対策 (SG Kino link click here)

Sample JLPT mock exam questions at the official website at https://www.jlpt.jp/e/samples/sample09.html

Websites
Meguro Language Centre (MLC) for JLPT N5 --> https://www.mlcjapanese.co.jp/n5.html
NHK News Easy website --> https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/
Nihongo Ichiban (specific for JLPT N5) --> https://nihongoichiban.com/home/jlpt-n5-study-material/
Thank you!!!! Sorry for the late reply. Would definitely check them out! Thank you so much

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
Senpai(s). I tried JapanesePod101 for a few months but don't feel enough even though i completed the JLPT N5 recommended pathway.
Would you all recommend me going to Japan to study at a language school for 1 year so that I can get my JLPT asap? any trusted school to recommend? or study in sg? (I'm taking a break from work.)
I didn't study in Japan but from what my friends said, if you got time and money then going over there to study would be the most effective.

N1 may be a stretch but N2 could be possible I guess

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.