TCL TV discussion thread III [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chatbot

Reaction score
I've been through the same journey.

I'll suggest ask this question before my reply: does the $300 worth the 2 years warranty?

If yes, then the price is at around $2100 is close to what you can get for Sony X90J (~2350 cheapest) and if you're lucky, you can get Sony X85J below 1.9k. You can also get Samsung Q80T (Last year model!) for even cheaper.
After this: then you'll compare C825 vs Sony brand. This is where I leave you to make your own decision.

If no, 2 years warranty does not worth $300 - then I think $1788 is pretty good deal for C825. The other one, equivalent for this is R646 (but without the speaker, good if you have your own sound system plus this one has Google TV, if that's impt to you).

Good luck..

chatbot

Reaction score
Yes, he replied me today. 1 year warranty. But his price will be about $300 cheaper.

At this price range and budget, are there any other brands or model I should consider? Else I might wait for Jan sales (if any) and get C825.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

Just for awareness.

There are 2 models, i.e C825 and C825k. The one with a "K' is priced lower but also has lower RAM (and using older Android 9 system).

storm913

Master Member
Reaction score
I've been through the same journey.

I'll suggest ask this question before my reply: does the $300 worth the 2 years warranty?

If yes, then the price is at around $2100 is close to what you can get for Sony X90J (~2350 cheapest) and if you're lucky, you can get Sony X85J below 1.9k. You can also get Samsung Q80T (Last year model!) for even cheaper.
After this: then you'll compare C825 vs Sony brand. This is where I leave you to make your own decision.

If no, 2 years warranty does not worth $300 - then I think $1788 is pretty good deal for C825. The other one, equivalent for this is R646 (but without the speaker, good if you have your own sound system plus this one has Google TV, if that's impt to you).

Good luck..
Thanks, will check those out!
Hi where to get TCL R646, can't seem to find anymore
Same, was looking around for this model, but can't find this anymore. Dailybasic don't carry this anymore too.
Just for awareness.

There are 2 models, i.e C825 and C825k. The one with a "K' is priced lower but also has lower RAM (and using older Android 9 system).
Did not know this, good to know, thanks again!

stanlawj

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes, he replied me today. 1 year warranty. But his price will be about $300 cheaper.

At this price range and budget, are there any other brands or model I should consider? Else I might wait for Jan sales (if any) and get C825.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

Take note of chatbot's reply: Sony X90J 10 bit VA panel, Sony X85J 8bit+FRC VA panel (not true 10bit). So X90J is better.

chatbot

Reaction score
Take note of chatbot's reply: Sony X90J 10 bit VA panel, Sony X85J 8bit+FRC VA panel (not true 10bit). So X90J is better.

I think you meant to say the R646 vs C825 panel differences right?

i just shared what I read about the different between the 2. but I do not know how this impact my viewing experience.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

stanlawj

Master Member
Reaction score
I think you meant to say the R646 vs C825 panel differences right?

i just shared what I read about the different between the 2. but I do not know how this impact my viewing experience.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

Oh no, I was just pointing out that you were correct to recommend Sony X90J over TCL. X85J will be same as TCL's non-true 10bit panel, so not a good buy.

petetherock

Reaction score
I don't know if many can tell the difference...
The brightness, color accuracy, and many other factors will come into play.
There's nothing wrong with an 8 bit panel if it is done properly.

storm913

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh no, I was just pointing out that you were correct to recommend Sony X90J over TCL. X85J will be same as TCL's non-true 10bit panel, so not a good buy.

Thanks, got it. But I don't think I will be able to tell the difference unless they are side by side.

For future plans of gaming with Ps5 (if I even get to buy RRP), will both Sony X90j and TCL C825 support the best resolution and fps?

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

stanlawj

Master Member
Reaction score
I don't know if many can tell the difference...
The brightness, color accuracy, and many other factors will come into play.
There's nothing wrong with an 8 bit panel if it is done properly.

The big "IF". Not many like Sony will properly do the image processing for gradient handling. To me it is like 10bit is natural beautiful wife and 8bit+FRC is cosmetic surgically enhanced wife. Both look beautiful. I just want my money to pay for the natural one and I don't want to deal with any glitches in FRC. TCL's gradient handling is not great, worse than Sony, according to Rtings.

Also, if many people still choose cheaper 8bit+FRC, then 10bit panels eventually disappear which is not good. Samsung is already replacing VA with cheapo IPS.

Last edited:

stanlawj

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks, got it. But I don't think I will be able to tell the difference unless they are side by side.

For future plans of gaming with Ps5 (if I even get to buy RRP), will both Sony X90j and TCL C825 support the best resolution and fps?

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

I don't own any of those TVs. Have to use Rtings to figure out. They have data on Sony X90J:

1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Yes
1080p @ 120Hz Yes (native support)
1440p @ 60Hz Yes (forced resolution required)
1440p @ 120Hz No
4k @ 60Hz Yes
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Yes
4k @ 120Hz Yes (native support)
8k @ 30Hz or 24Hz No
8k @ 60Hz No
ALLM on HDMI 3 & 4 input.

No VRR, and from Sony's pattern, don't hope for VRR update, considered no VRR.

TCL C825 specs has VRR and all the goodies for gaming like ALLM, but latency with local dimming is high, and low-latency (game mode, ALLM etc) will switch off local dimming. You need to go and find the gamers' review of TCL C825 on youtube. There are many. My summary may not be entirely accurate because there is too much info when it comes to gaming.

storm913

Master Member
Reaction score
I don't own any of those TVs. Have to use Rtings to figure out. They have data on Sony X90J:
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Yes
1080p @ 120Hz Yes (native support)
1440p @ 60Hz Yes (forced resolution required)
1440p @ 120Hz No
4k @ 60Hz Yes
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Yes
4k @ 120Hz Yes (native support)
8k @ 30Hz or 24Hz No
8k @ 60Hz No
ALLM on HDMI 3 & 4 input.
No VRR, and from Sony's pattern, don't hope for VRR update, considered no VRR.
TCL C825 specs has VRR and all the goodies for gaming like ALLM, but latency with local dimming is high, and low-latency (game mode, ALLM etc) will switch off local dimming. You need to go and find the gamers' review of TCL C825 on youtube. There are many. My summary may not be entirely accurate because there is too much info when it comes to gaming.

Thanks! Will check out YouTube reviews and decide further.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

bomberman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
appears that they have pulled R646 from the Best Buy shelves due to the various issues on panel or google TV..

b3cks_

Reaction score
Hi all. Looks like my LG TV is giving up on me soon..(flickering and jumpy screen). Been using for past 5 years and haven't been really keeping up with the latest TV tech..

May I seek opinion and recommendation for TCL TV? Not a heavy user, mainly use to football on Mio TV, YouTube, Netflix and browser to stream videos.

Also, any recommended seller or shop? If can hope to get it by this weekend.

verna42

Reaction score
My 55P8M started flickering after 1.5 years. Got it from Giant and warranty only 1 year. Cost of changing the panel $500 :(. Now waiting for it to completely up the lorry. Not sure next TV should i still go for TCL.

chatbot

Reaction score
My 55P8M started flickering after 1.5 years. Got it from Giant and warranty only 1 year. Cost of changing the panel $500 :(. Now waiting for it to completely up the lorry. Not sure next TV should i still go for TCL.

Nowadays TCL can offer 3 years warranty (at least the C825 that I've been checking more than a month ago) when you buy from authorized dealer.
It adds a few hundred dollar to the cost, but this gives you additional peace of mind.

stanlawj

Master Member
Reaction score
Alphavisions (tcltv.sg) offers enhanced warranty, which means extending 1 year to 3 years warranty, if you pay an additional amount. So buy from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.