Forum: Scammed of $100,000, but fault is not mine alone

• Have you been Scammed?
    Follow this advisory from National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) on the next steps you can take. More info

Tuckie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only open your bank app to see what irregularities in your account lei……
Don’t any how click on the link. You not playing fishing game or shooting game………..

don’t alway wait for people to spoon feed you like giving a link and you click on it for convenient.
Tell that to the folks who got scammed.. I mean that’s how they kana

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those govt supporters got selfish, arrogant mentality, like to talk ******* wei.

We must have independent analysts to find out the problems for banking scams instead of letting govt covering up for banks and not taking responsibility

even our dragon lord data got leaked but still meek like a mouse :o

really need to give sharp elbows and knees to fug those ** india and Atb and jhk scam centers leh!

but then again...our own internal infra ....how dependent are we to foreign talents...really sad case.

gravity_infinity

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
even our dragon lord data got leaked but still meek like a mouse :o

really need to give sharp elbows and knees to fug those ** india and Atb and jhk scam centers leh!

but then again...our own internal infra ....how dependent are we to foreign talents...really sad case.
our cyber security really jialat

tanakow

Banned
Reaction score
I have never heard change limit no need OTP.

if that’s really the case then what’s the point of the limit? got limit no limit no diff :s13:

Different banks have different policy. For DBS, last time need token to raise limit. Now i don't know. For OCBC, i think don't need. But they will send you a SMS message to tell you that you have changed the limit.

frigatex

Reaction score
OCBC has no way of knowing which transaction is suspicious or not. What happens is that OCBC has been presented with the correct authentication and authorisation for the transfer and OCBC has acted on the authorisation.

People who still think that it is OCBC's fault should avoid online banking or anything involving financial online because they simply does not understand the whole online thingy work.

Don't think anyone doubts that the victims are at fault. Though the fact that ocbc are making changes to their processes now show that there were areas that could have been strengthened. Also, losses of the victims could have minimised if there was an avenue for rapid response. I've had two instances now where the SMS notification of changes to transaction limits were delayed by hours.

harbinger255

Honorary Member
Reaction score
yes exactly.

@harbinger255 @Capitalist

what are you contributing than just mocking and being patronising to victims? everyone will have times of inalertness or too busy. this case is not like say hyflux or dbs bonds when those 'victims' went in with greed knowingly but act blur later.

when it is already shown ocbc do send official sms using bit.ly...

look at their urls even, is there even a 'standard' url?
https://www.ocbc.com/personal-bankinghttps://internet.ocbc.com/internet-banking/
ocbc already change protocols after this event, meaning there was weakness..

victims cant even quickly disable or recall the funds.
https://mothership.sg/2022/01/ocbc-scam-victims/
When 36-year-old homemaker, Denise (not her real name) and her husband realised that they may have been victims of a phishing scam, he immediately called the OCBC hotline to try to get the bank to stop the scammers in their tracks.

However, instead of getting a response, Denise’s husband was put on hold for over 20 minutes.

During which, he received more SMS notifications that his OneToken had been activated.

The OneToken is OCBC’s digital authentication tool for internet transactions.

He was also notified that his transaction limit was increased from S$5,000 to S$50,000.

Unable to get through, Denise’s husband carried on with his other tasks.

Two hours later
, he received another SMS suddenly informing him that S$15,718 had been transferred out via PayNow.

Horrified, he called OCBC’s hotline again, but was put on hold. While waiting, he received an SMS that another S$2,400 had been transferred out.

Just one of the example reported.....

Ah too busy to continue arguing about this.... by all means continue to push the blame to others... Win a few darwin awards while you're there

tanakow

Banned
Reaction score
Don't think anyone doubts that the victims are at fault. Though the fact that ocbc are making changes to their processes now show that there were areas that could have been strengthened. Also, losses of the victims could have minimised if there was an avenue for rapid response. I've had two instances now where the SMS notification of changes to transaction limits were delayed by hours.
I think the SMS notification delay is an outlier. Normally, i get it within a short time, in the order of seconds. But having said that, once the victim realises he/she has been scammed, it is too late to recover the fund transferred.

If customer think that any transfer should be delayed for a few hours, then they can bank at a bank which can comply with this requirement.

Eg when i transfer money from a local Citibank account to a New York citibank account, there is a holding period of 30 minutes.

Strikk

Master Member
Reaction score
Its a grey area. Ocbc wasnt hack and the money wasnt lost due to a hack. No way you can prevent anyone from setting up an official looking website and also to have them taken down fast.

There should be hard limit for about a thousand dollars for internet transfer to any bank and if more is required, only user specific account that require inperson or facial ID.

It boils down to the bank if they bother to spend and brainstorm on ideas to improve non-IT hack scams. Some are smart enough to know it is a scam but the blur cocks pioneer generation like my dad are not.

tanakow

Banned
Reaction score

Ah too busy to continue arguing about this.... by all means continue to push the blame to others... Win a few darwin awards while you're there
Everybody knows that calling a hotline can take very long unless you are a private bank client. The husband should have gone to the bank. But the money has already been transferred out of the account and it is probably too late to recover the fund.

harbinger255

Honorary Member
Reaction score

Then in that 2 hours, he nonchalantly continued with his task when he could have 1) rush down to a bank 2) continue to hold the line 3) Force an account lock by entering a wrong password 3x

harbinger255

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Everybody knows that calling a hotline can take very long unless you are a private bank client. The husband should have gone to the bank. But the money has already been transferred out of the account and it is probably too late to recover the fund.
2 hours.... TWO HOURS..... after getting all that alarming notifications... I will be pissing my pants already in 30min thinking all my money is already gone

frigatex

Reaction score
I think the SMS notification delay is an outlier. Normally, i get it within a short time, in the order of seconds. But having said that, once the victim realises he/she has been scammed, it is too late to recover the fund transferred.

If customer think that any transfer should be delayed for a few hours, then they can bank at a bank which can comply with this requirement.

Eg when i transfer money from a local Citibank account to a New York citibank account, there is a holding period of 30 minutes.

Yes I was saying in a previous post, most other SMS (for payments etc) come promptly. But the SMS for this specifically (changing limits) came late for two separate occasions. 10th Jan was delayed by 5 hours, today delayed by 3 hours.

Zinna

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just find it funny you can just raise the limit to the max, then immediately transfer out all the money in the account to a foreign bank account without getting flagged by the Bank as suspicious activity

FT_FTW

Banned
Reaction score
You are obviously not very smart or you are an IB. I would not want to say that you are probably lowly educated as some lowly educated can be quite smart.

A fraud has been committed and yes, it is likely the fault of the victim. Does that mean that the G or SPF don't need to investigate? So if you kill your wife because your wife cuckolds you, the SPF don't need to investigate because it was her fault?

It just shows how 'naive' you are to bring in the Government b@stardisation of the CPF scheme including CareShield, Medishield and CPF Life which are not relevant in this thread.

calling me not smart and my wife being unfaithful is not how u talk.

u can argue for all u want. No one is going to baby sit sinkies for their stupidity.

Level42

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then in that 2 hours, he nonchalantly continued with his task when he could have 1) rush down to a bank 2) continue to hold the line 3) Force an account lock by entering a wrong password 3x
Brilliant idea! If the scammer change the password, should attempt multiple failed logins until the account is locked. Otherwise I prefer to take back control of the account.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.