Straits Times Index is now a top winner among major stock indices despite global market downturn

Reaction score
image-19.png

As a Singaporean, I am proud that the Straits Times Index(STI) is a world stock index leader (as of 28Jan2022 year-to-date). An admirable achievement for a stock index which has been shunned by even Singaporeans for the past several years.

STI didn't decline much in this week of carnage. That is a show of strength in a week of carnage.

STI has been jokingly coined Simply Terrible Index for its laggard performance. In 2021, STI's moderately strong performance relative to other stock indices gave it a better name Slightly Tolerable Index. Today, STI can be called Slightly Terrific Index. While STI is the number 1 winner today (Terrific), 3.93% gain year-to-date is nothing to shout about (only Slightly Terrific).

I eagerly await the day when STI becomes Superbly Terrific Index. Let's see how it goes by end of 2022.

Last edited:

[M]aiev

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You use weeks or even 1 year to base on STI performance, dun you ? :ROFLMAO:

However, in all these years, you know STI has been underperforming compared to US indices right? I can bet that US index like S&P500 will outperform STI in the long run. :s13:

Says the one who created the account at last year. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
You use weeks or even 1 year to base on STI performance, dun you ? :ROFLMAO:

However, in all these years, you know STI has been underperforming compared to US indices right? I can bet that US index like S&P500 will outperform STI in the long run. :s13:

Says the one who created the account at last year. :ROFLMAO:

I am trying to give moral support to Singapore's flagship index which has been a loser for past several years. LOL.

STI is a winner based on 2022 year-to-date performance. You can say I'm biased and trying to see things in a biased way to make it sound good. Haha. I don't deny that.

By the way, 2021 STI performance was also not bad among Asian stock indices, although it can't compete with U.S indices.

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
I am trying to give moral support to Singapore's flagship index which has been a loser for past several years. LOL.

STI is a winner based on 2022 year-to-date performance. You can say I'm biased and trying to see things in a biased way to make it sound good. Haha. I don't deny that.

By the way, 2021 STI performance was also not bad among Asian stock indices, although it can't compete with U.S indices.
Lol! I really want to laugh

yumsang

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

HK was the worst in 2021 :s13:

stanlawj

Master Member
Reaction score
I have taken my profit for STI ETF. Rate hikes for this year fully priced in for banks. STI is a non-trending index but oscillates between two extremes. Don't make the mistake of extrapolating to 4.00.

If Fed actually carry out less rate hikes later this year, plus mid-term election uncertainty, SG banks will topple.

Last edited:

yuzu28

Reaction score
I have taken my profit for STI ETF. Rate hikes for this year fully priced in for banks.
Good man... I queued few days and then missed it by 0.005 it never happened. Then the next day downhill. 🙄

TehSi99

Master Member
Reaction score
When the world is green, STI is red. When the world is red, STI is green.

For dividend players, STI is good as it is tax free.

Reaction score
Straits Times Index had a good start for the year of the tiger.

It is now up 1.43% on the first morning session of the tiger year. This is despite Nasdaq100 futures down big at > 2% after Facebook crashed 20% after announcing slowing growth. Nikkei200 is down > 1% now.

STI is showing some real backbone despite the external hostile environment. Haha. This makes me proud as a Singaporean.

TehSi99

Master Member
Reaction score

It is now up 1.43% on the first morning session of the tiger year. This is despite Nasdaq100 futures down big at > 2% after Facebook crashed 20% after announcing slowing growth. Nikkei200 is down > 1% now.

STI is showing some real backbone despite the external hostile environment. Haha. This makes me proud as a Singaporean.

Nothing unusual.

Typical STI. When all red, it is green. When all green, it is red.

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score

Lol! For the last 10 years, S&P flies. STI stays stagnant. Now suddenly in 2022, S&P500 down and STI up a little bit, then we euphoria. As a Singaporean, I don’t know what is wrong lei. Are we setting the bar too low or we not punishing our companies enough? Facebook miss their earnings expectations by 2% but they got punished 20% for their future guidance. If semb marine and Singapore airlines is listed in US, I think they will be worth just 20% of their value today. Lol!

stanlawj

Master Member
Reaction score
Take your profits while you can in STI ETF.

From 2020 to 2021, the Govt pumped in billions of dollars to support Singapore economy, tapping on our reserves.

From 2022 onwards the Govt is going to start extracting wealth from Singapore economy to replenish its reserves with higher taxes and ending all the govt financial support as we move to endemic Covid.

Growth from external economy has to replace the govt support. Therefore, my judgement is the economy will be flat and liquidity is reduced. Furthermore the property market supply will increase gradually. Not good for property prices. Stronger SGD (MAS policy this year) will also be a drag on exporter margins, with exports priced in USD.

Last edited:

pmetpmet

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Take your profits while you can in STI ETF.

From 2020 to 2021, the Govt pumped in billions of dollars to support Singapore economy, tapping on our reserves.

From 2022 onwards the Govt is going to start extracting wealth from Singapore economy to replenish its reserves with higher taxes and ending all the govt financial support as we move to endemic Covid.

Growth from external economy has to replace the govt support. Therefore, my judgement is the economy will be flat and liquidity is reduced. Furthermore the property market supply will increase gradually. Not good for property prices. Stronger SGD (MAS policy this year) will also be a drag on exporter margins, with exports priced in USD.
This is myopic. Central banks around the world are also on the way to QT (Quantitative Tightening) which will increase interest rates and remove excess liquidity from the market. Hardest hit will be US stocks, followed by Euro and Australia. Most resilient markets will be Singapore and China. China will pump money in a time when the whole world is doing QT and Singapore will be the top beneficiary. Way more upside to go :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Furthermore, USD will strengthen against SGD when the FED starts QT. So what you said is just ridiculously untrue. In fact, the MAS has preemptively strengthened the SGD in anticipation of that, so as to cushion the impact on the SGD and prevent the SGD from weakening too much in due time. A stronger USD causes outflow (reverse carry trade) and the MAS is determined to stop that from happening. If what you said about a strong SGD is bad for exports is true, then the MAS would have done the opposite instead.

Take profit in your US stocks while you still can. Don't wait for it to slump 20-30% then kpkb :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
This is myopic. Central banks around the world are also on the way to QT (Quantitative Tightening) which will increase interest rates and remove excess liquidity from the market. Hardest hit will be US stocks, followed by Euro and Australia. Most resilient markets will be Singapore and China. China will pump money in a time when the whole world is doing QT and Singapore will be the top beneficiary. Way more upside to go :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Take profit in your US stocks while you still can. Don't wait for it to slump 20-30% then kpkb :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Haha! I think will be very sad case for u.

pmetpmet

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha! I think will be very sad case for u.
Haha! You're wrong. I took profit before META and Paypal slumped > 20% today/yesterday so that's really good for me and a sad case for you. Valuations in the US is way overstretched and this is just a foretaste of what's to come :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Go which reservoir?! I'll be sure to cheer you on to take the plunge :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

AlyssaGoh

Reaction score
Haha! You're wrong. I took profit before META and Paypal slumped > 20% today/yesterday so that's really good for me and a sad case for you. Valuations in the US is way overstretched and this is just a foretaste of what's to come :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Go which reservoir?! I'll be sure to cheer you on to take the plunge :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
lol! Very interesting view and god mode investor. My opinion of investment is about buying part of the business. I am happy for you if you love SGX. if you think you should support Singapore airlines, SATs, Semb corp etc.. then good for you. I am sticking to my Tesla, Apple, Google. All my stocks up 10x. So no big deal for me if it drops 30%. Lol! I will enter PayPal soon after my SG banks made 50% from the Covid-19 dip. Paypal at current valuation is freaking cheap vs DBS

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.