Working Shoe for Young Exec - Part 3

Biogentic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What are some of the easily accessible and good quality smaller brands ?

I think with your price range - G&G is among the best options. Can't go wrong with them.

https://www.gazianogirling.com/
Wait for sales then buy… don’t get it at retail price.
mr porter, matchesfashion, cavour.co, etc all got sales sometimes and can get at slightly 1k after duties or below 1k when you are lucky. I bought Dover like 1.2k sgd before and a few John lobb under 1k. Recent catch via matchesfashion is a lopez loafer 600+ only after tax.
For Edward green can look at Dover, Chelsea, Berkeley, clapham, etc which r all classic.
For John lobb (which I much prefer), can look at chapel, Phillip ii, William ii, city ii etc their style looks more classic and fashionable to me.
I think there is another option st crispin but never own their shoes but heard is quite good

c&j also not too bad but finishing is still below par of Edward green and John lobb even for handgrade. I only get their condorvan version as EG is too expensive for condorvan.
another you can look at is Alden from USA but the price is fixed worldwide but quality wise still EG and John lobb win.
now I only wait for big sales to buy their shoes and wouldn’t buy at retail price. But once you have EG or John lobb you probably wouldn’t want to buy other brand like carmina, or Italian made shoes. Remember the real English shoes maker r all based in Northampton England and their history span across centuries so this are not easily replicate by other brands

Last edited:

Hungry kid

Reaction score
mr porter, matchesfashion, cavour.co, etc all got sales sometimes and can get at slightly 1k after duties or below 1k when you are lucky. I bought Dover like 1.2k sgd before and a few John lobb under 1k. Recent catch via matchesfashion is a lopez loafer 600+ only after tax.
For Edward green can look at Dover, Chelsea, Berkeley, clapham, etc which r all classic.
For John lobb (which I much prefer), can look at chapel, Phillip ii, William ii, city ii etc their style looks more classic and fashionable to me.
I think there is another option st crispin but never own their shoes but heard is quite good

c&j also not too bad but finishing is still below par of Edward green and John lobb even for handgrade. I only get their condorvan version as EG is too expensive for condorvan.
another you can look at is Alden from USA but the price is fixed worldwide but quality wise still EG and John lobb win.
now I only wait for big sales to buy their shoes and wouldn’t buy at retail price. But once you have EG or John lobb you probably wouldn’t want to buy other brand like carmina, or Italian made shoes. Remember the real English shoes maker r all based in Northampton England and their history span across centuries so this are not easily replicate by other brands
Yesss...agree with you. If not in a rush, just wait for it to go on sales then grab a pair. Bro, just curious, your EG you bought from mr.porter? I saw previously they have some sales for Lobb but is not in the wide fit version.

Yup, C&J finishing is more of a hit and miss. The benchgrade pair i have the finishing was much better then the handgrade ( Uneven stitching, box received damaged). One Italian shoe maker which I can recommend would be Enzo Bonafe... worth to try.

Biogentic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yesss...agree with you. If not in a rush, just wait for it to go on sales then grab a pair. Bro, just curious, your EG you bought from mr.porter? I saw previously they have some sales for Lobb but is not in the wide fit version.

Yup, C&J finishing is more of a hit and miss. The benchgrade pair i have the finishing was much better then the handgrade ( Uneven stitching, box received damaged). One Italian shoe maker which I can recommend would be Enzo Bonafe... worth to try.
Hi yes I just bought recently from matchesfashion for the jl lopez at 600+ But got the EG Dover quite a while ago about 1.5year ago also from matches fashion and all shoes that they r selling are not wide fitting. If you are wide fitting can get only EG 202 E that is accommodating for wide foot

theblueark

Reaction score
Earnest Collective having 50% off storewide closing down sale. Sad to see them go, they offered IMO the best value starter shoes for young execs.

theblueark

Reaction score
Will you support them if they continued business?
Yep, i've always recommended them to any friends or colleagues looking into dipping their toes into more classic formal shoes but not willing to go above $200 for stitched constructions yet. I've even organized a few group buys at the office.

For myself, i've been buying their loafers (that's all I wear to work nowadays) and had been on the notification list for a new pair of coffee coloured ones. Now I know they won't be making any more though :(

I don't think there are any alternatives in SG at this price point anymore. I can only think of Aldo.

Hungry kid

Reaction score
Hi yes I just bought recently from matchesfashion for the jl lopez at 600+ But got the EG Dover quite a while ago about 1.5year ago also from matches fashion and all shoes that they r selling are not wide fitting. If you are wide fitting can get only EG 202 E that is accommodating for wide foot
icic...that's a good deal! Have not have any experience with john lobb shoes due to the high price. Do you think is more worth to get 1 C&J benchgrade + 1 carmina or just whack 1 pair of lobb? I looking at the William new standard monks.

Biogentic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got a William new standard black UK8E if that fit u.. we can work out a deal.. only wear like 3-4 times but alittle big for me

Hungry kid

Reaction score
I got a William new standard black UK8E if that fit u.. we can work out a deal.. only wear like 3-4 times but alittle big for me
Aww..thanks for the offer. But i'm UK9 :( Heard that the last for this pair is a little wider as compare to the others if i'm not wrong.

ahbear82

Reaction score
looking to buy a good durable working shoe
seem like some common names are Herring & Oxford, is it being sold in singapore? where can i get them?

If not any other brand i can get in Singapore where i can try the size ?

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Recently i gotten a loafer from G&G, where do you all recommend I go for the toe caps and the rubber behind? Thanks.

Hungry kid

Reaction score
Recently i gotten a loafer from G&G, where do you all recommend I go for the toe caps and the rubber behind? Thanks.
I would like to say Mason and Smith...but their prices are on the high side. I was just speaking to them today, and was surprised that they charge even more for a full resole as compare to sending back to C&J / JL.

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would like to say Mason and Smith...but their prices are on the high side. I was just speaking to them today, and was surprised that they charge even more for a full resole as compare to sending back to C&J / JL.
When u compared does it take into account of shipping costs or just list price vs list price?

Hungry kid

Reaction score
When u compared does it take into account of shipping costs or just list price vs list price?
Hi, i can safely say that for C&J. After adding in shipping (don't say DHL express la, hhaha. Can try JustShip) cost both ways it's still cheaper. But that's only for C&J la hahah not sure about G&G. Mason & Smith is charging $480 for regular resole and $500 for hidden Chanel stich. I would say unless the shoes cost in the 4 digit range or has sentimental value....if not really not worth going with M&S.

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, i can safely say that for C&J. After adding in shipping (don't say DHL express la, hhaha. Can try JustShip) cost both ways it's still cheaper. But that's only for C&J la hahah not sure about G&G. Mason & Smith is charging $480 for regular resole and $500 for hidden Chanel stich. I would say unless the shoes cost in the 4 digit range or has sentimental value....if not really not worth going with M&S.
The only benefits i can see paying more to resole locally vs going back to the original shoemaker at a lower cost are possibly if urgent and need it fast, and easier re-work in the event outcome wasnt ideal (but we ought to expect top notch resoling at such price)..

Hungry kid

Reaction score
The only benefits i can see paying more to resole locally vs going back to the original shoemaker at a lower cost are possibly if urgent and need it fast, and easier re-work in the event outcome wasnt ideal (but we ought to expect top notch resoling at such price)..
Yup yup, agree with you. But then...i think only have 2-3 shops in sin offering GY resole service, that's why they can afford to price it that high.

ahbear82

Reaction score

hi, can i check, if you buy from online, other than the size chart provided by the website to check which size to get, how u know that the last will fit you? Different she maker has different last, correct me if i am wrong?

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, can i check, if you buy from online, other than the size chart provided by the website to check which size to get, how u know that the last will fit you? Different she maker has different last, correct me if i am wrong?
No easy way… do u already have an idea if your feet might be more on wide side, narrow side, high instep? Normally wide feet and high instep are most common problems cause.

what i do is once i have identified the shoe and last, then google for reviews and fit information.. some folks will share how the fit feels compared to other shoes/lasts and tat can be helpful if u have/have tried those before for comparison..

some retailers are quite helpful to answer fit and size questions too like herring..

even then… the uncertainty is still there.. kinda an inevitable learning journey buying dress shoes online.. good luck!

LeGozt

Reaction score
Got a custom black pebble grain oxford with broguing made by Tahura from Indonesia, but when I received it I realised that I have a low instep hence the shoe doesn't fit snugly when I lace it up. Can't lace up further as it is a closed lace shoe. Unworn except to try only, less than 5minutes.

Is anyone interested to buy this off me? Would be happy to sell for cost price excluding shipping (S$260).

Size: 44.5
Upper :: java full grain black
Lining :: full lambskin
Eyelet :: no eyelets
Construction :: veldschoen construction 270 degree
Outsole :: single layer leather with vibram explosion
Welt colour :: black
Edge colour :: black
Welt stitch colour :: black
Toebox :: structured
Heels :: stacked leather with vibram explosion

Send me a PM and I can provide pics through whatsapp

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got a custom black pebble grain oxford with broguing made by Tahura from Indonesia, but when I received it I realised that I have a low instep hence the shoe doesn't fit snugly when I lace it up. Can't lace up further as it is a closed lace shoe. Unworn except to try only, less than 5minutes.

Is anyone interested to buy this off me? Would be happy to sell for cost price excluding shipping (S$260).

Size: 44.5
Upper :: java full grain black
Lining :: full lambskin
Eyelet :: no eyelets
Construction :: veldschoen construction 270 degree
Outsole :: single layer leather with vibram explosion
Welt colour :: black
Edge colour :: black
Welt stitch colour :: black
Toebox :: structured
Heels :: stacked leather with vibram explosion

Send me a PM and I can provide pics through whatsapp
yr 1st pair of oxfords? If not do u hv similar prob for other oxfords or this maker’s last is exceptionally generous at the instep?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.