Data Science Courses/Degress/Work

DataScience

Reaction score
I am from Higher Nitec, result well.. pretty Low I am thinking of actually just doing work & part time study, I have done a couple of Videos and reading so far narrowed down to either: web development, cloud or network.
But as for currently I am self teaching myself Python as I heard is the bread & butter language
Given you are so young and still got a long runway ahead, let me propose 2 pathways for you:

1) Try to enrol in any IT-related course in Poly. You don't have to compete for the hardest course, just go for anything that will allow you to dabble with IT. Do well in this course and use this opportunity to get IT internships. Thereafter you can start working in IT jobs after you graduate, while concurrently pursuing a part-time bachelors in CS in SUSS for example. This pathway while abit longer, will ensure that your total compensation don't lag behind your counterparts when you are 30-40ish.

2) If you are really impatient, and don't have the time/money to go through a poly degree, then the best path is for you to go through bootcamp by GA/Le Wagon. But honestly, don't have so much faith in their career placement program, those programs have pretty low success rate in Singapore. This path is much shorter, but your career progression may be affected in the long run.

Programs like CompTIA are pointless. Go to linkedin and search around, do you see people with those certificates?

intelligent_hodler

Reaction score
Hi DataScience,

I have been reading this thread for quite sometime now. I am a Business Systems Analyst, from IT related major from local uni. I see that that you have been recommending OMSCS as the go-to masters program due to its ROI.

What are your opinions on NUS Masters of Computing - AI specialization?

Fattmong

Reaction score
GA/Le Wagon.

Sadly I heard the standards of the instructors dropped abit. But they are still the market leaders nonetheless.

Recently, an interesting school "Rocket Academy" caught my attention. I heard they are not bad, you can perhaps check them out as well.
Hi @DataScience , yes I saw rocketacademy before, it's 5k + they worked with many tech companies I guess there are some career support. What's the thing that caught your eye and also whether their curriculum covers most of SWE stuff?

DataScience

Reaction score
Hi DataScience,

I have been reading this thread for quite sometime now. I am a Business Systems Analyst, from IT related major from local uni. I see that that you have been recommending OMSCS as the go-to masters program due to its ROI.

What are your opinions on NUS Masters of Computing - AI specialization?
Well, nothing much I can say. NUS is a good school and the program looks ok. And you have the added advantage of being able to attend a physical class.

But cost wise, OMSCS is much cheaper and just as reputable (if not more reputable). You have to weigh what is most important to you.

DataScience

Reaction score
Hi @DataScience , yes I saw rocketacademy before, it's 5k + they worked with many tech companies I guess there are some career support. What's the thing that caught your eye and also whether their curriculum covers most of SWE stuff?
Honestly, the curriculum is pretty much similar to Le Wagon / GA.

But from my conversations with people who took that course, the instructors are passionate about what they do. And that is the one point that stood out. The downside is that they are not as well known, so you got to weigh what is most important to you.

Xxeron

Reaction score
Given you are so young and still got a long runway ahead, let me propose 2 pathways for you:

1) Try to enrol in any IT-related course in Poly. You don't have to compete for the hardest course, just go for anything that will allow you to dabble with IT. Do well in this course and use this opportunity to get IT internships. Thereafter you can start working in IT jobs after you graduate, while concurrently pursuing a part-time bachelors in CS in SUSS for example. This pathway while abit longer, will ensure that your total compensation don't lag behind your counterparts when you are 30-40ish.

2) If you are really impatient, and don't have the time/money to go through a poly degree, then the best path is for you to go through bootcamp by GA/Le Wagon. But honestly, don't have so much faith in their career placement program, those programs have pretty low success rate in Singapore. This path is much shorter, but your career progression may be affected in the long run.

Programs like CompTIA are pointless. Go to linkedin and search around, do you see people with those certificates?
While going with the 1st option would it be advisable to go for programs on my free time?? Either certificate for entry level IT career for future as a start. But I hear those programs build basic fundamentals.
What’s your insights?.

Converged

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi @DataScience,

would you recommend a mid career professional to go for SGUT data analyst jobs to get their feet wet in the industry? assuming he has completed ai100 and 200

DataScience

Reaction score
While going with the 1st option would it be advisable to go for programs on my free time?? Either certificate for entry level IT career for future as a start. But I hear those programs build basic fundamentals.
What’s your insights?.
Yes if you are intending to go Poly, I advise to take some courses to give yourself a head-start. You don't need the cert, but what you really need are the skills. This will help you ace your poly later on. Don't listen to people who ******** saying that good grades are pointless. Good grades will help you get better opportunities and compensation later on.

If you want to go into web development, you can look for free youtube courses. Unfortunately I haven't seen any good in-person short courses for web development that I can recommend.

newgrad

Reaction score
Hi @DataScience,

Is the Analytics Capability Enhancement (ACE) Programme by DBS worth joining to start off your career as a data scientist?

DataScience

Reaction score
Hi @DataScience,

Is the Analytics Capability Enhancement (ACE) Programme by DBS worth joining to start off your career as a data scientist?
DBS isn't exactly known for having the best data scientists, but the program looks good. Looks like it is designed to trained machine learning engineers. I think it is worth a shot.

jxmodel

Reaction score
Hi @DataScience

I'm considering a career transition into the field of Data science.

I'm currently inclined toward Institute of Data's Data Science program, because it can be offset partly with SkillsFuture. Coming from a low income background so costs need to be manageable for me.

What are your thoughts on this program?

DataScience

Reaction score
Hi @DataScience

I'm considering a career transition into the field of Data science.

I'm currently inclined toward Institute of Data's Data Science program, because it can be offset partly with SkillsFuture. Coming from a low income background so costs need to be manageable for me.

What are your thoughts on this program?
Curriculum looks ok (its essentially Ai100 + Ai200), but the sole person whom I know that took this program said the quality of trainers weren't good. And I couldn't find much reviews about this school either.

So not much datapoint for me to give a holistic opinion on. Perhaps, call in for a consultation?

jxmodel

Reaction score
Curriculum looks ok (its essentially Ai100 + Ai200), but the sole person whom I know that took this program said the quality of trainers weren't good. And I couldn't find much reviews about this school either.

So not much datapoint for me to give a holistic opinion on. Perhaps, call in for a consultation?
I see, thank you! If I were to begin my journey in Data Science/Analytics, what would you recommend?

I'd love to go to Uni but can't afford to be unemployed for 3/4 years hahahaa

DataScience

Reaction score
I see, thank you! If I were to begin my journey in Data Science/Analytics, what would you recommend?

Can you share with me more about your profile like:
- how many years of working experience do you have (and in what sector)

This way I can give you something more tailored for your situation.

Last edited:

jxmodel

Reaction score
Can you share with me more about your profile like:
- how many years of working experience do you have (and in what sector)

This way I can give you something more tailored for your situation.
I'm 28, my diploma was in media, and I have around 3+ years of work experience, 1 year in an IT company as an order processing staff, 2 years in an insurance firm to help process insurance applications too hahaha

DataScience

Reaction score
I'm 28, my diploma was in media, and I have around 3+ years of work experience, 1 year in an IT company as an order processing staff, 2 years in an insurance firm to help process insurance applications too hahaha
You are very young, and have a long runway ahead of you. Given so I propose the following pathway:
- Take heicoders AI100 + AI200 (to ease your learning curve for step 2)
- Apply for part-time bachelor's degree: https://www.suss.edu.sg/programmes/detail/bsc-business-analytics-bsba

This option allows you to continue to work (so that you still have income). But because you are still going to have a fulltime job, you likely won't have as much time to study, which I why I ask you to take the AI100 and Ai200. This will ease your learning curve a fair bit. And hopefully if you study smart you should do well enough.

Currently in the industry, many tech companies are starting to implement a hiring freeze. VCs are also halting from inject capital into the industry. So this is the best time to level-up. By the time you are ready, I am sure you will have a healthy range of job options to choose from.

jxmodel

Reaction score
You are very young, and have a long runway ahead of you. Given so I propose the following pathway:
- Take heicoders AI100 + AI200 (to ease your learning curve for step 2)
- Apply for part-time bachelor's degree:

This option allows you to continue to work (so that you still have income). But because you are still going to have a fulltime job, you likely won't have as much time to study, which I why I ask you to take the AI100 and Ai200. This will ease your learning curve a fair bit. And hopefully if you study smart you should do well enough.

Currently in the industry, many tech companies are starting to implement a hiring freeze. VCs are also halting from inject capital into the industry. So this is the best time to level-up. By the time you are ready, I am sure you will have a healthy range of job options to choose from.
Thank you so much!
Would like to ask, do you think I can find a basic job with the Heicoders certificate? I would like a paybump from my current job which would help with supporting my fam and pursuing the degree

mummy_mouse

Reaction score

You may also consider these part-time degrees: NUS B.Tech (Computing) and NTU B.Eng(Computer Science).

However, admission is highly competitive, even though the programmes are part-time.

DataScience

Reaction score
Thank you so much!
Would like to ask, do you think I can find a basic job with the Heicoders certificate? I would like a paybump from my current job which would help with supporting my fam and pursuing the degree
With just the certificate from Heicoders, in usual times yes there is a chance where you can get an entry level role. But right now, the market is quite stale. I heard from my contacts in VCs that they are not intending to inject funds into new companies. As a result, companies are also only going to hire if you are absolutely essential for their day-to-day ops. In fact if you look on linkedin, some companies (even established ones) are even starting to layoff their talents. Based on my information network, things will likely get worse in the next month.

Given this kind of climate, it will be a bad time to seek a job change. That is why, given how young you are, you can afford to take it a bit slower and finish your degree first. This stagflation will likely last for the next 1-2 years. So by the time you are ready to join as a data scientists, the job market will be booming again then. Just nice for you to get that 20-30% pay bump.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.