Android TV Box

Philippng

Reaction score
~S$90+ to S$110, depending on retailer. For peace of mind to obtain genuine product, can buy online direct from manufacturer instead of third party China sites. But look out for discount code where available on MeCool website to knock off another few percent.
Thank bros, did it come with any iptv or vod app

Zetrio2006

Master Member
Reaction score
Today Smart TV can even be faster than tv box. Esp. when u got a low end box.
eg. a sony smart tv load faster than my ubox.
The only different is Ubox come with the iptv and the VOD where the Smart TV is bare.
However, if you are able to setup your own iptv and load your own vod app you will be surprise that the smart tv is a better choice.
Power up and wait for it to get loaded and u are ready to go.
No need extra electricity, save the extra box money, no extra cable and another device to take care.
The future will be smart TV, however as of now Smart Android or Google TV dont have that many app to support
you will need some technical ability to get it setup
Not comparing Android TV to Android box.

Is Comparing Android TV to normal Smart TV. Normal Smart TV's loading time when you switch on is 2 seconds, Android TV dunno how long.

Philippng

Reaction score
Not comparing Android TV to Android box.

Is Comparing Android TV to normal Smart TV. Normal Smart TV's loading time when you switch on is 2 seconds, Android TV dunno how long.
understand, Normal Smart TV can be android TV too, they can hold other os such as samsung uses tizen os some have their own propriety os. The speed does depend not just by the os, it include the hardware too.
There are many factor in which a device preformance. other than that is the app that come with the os which is the most important if not it may not so smart after all.

Zetrio2006

Master Member
Reaction score
But anyone knows how fast their Android TVs takes to start up? Because Android TVs seems to take 30 seconds to 1 minute to start up just like a handphone or tablet. Whereas a normal Smart TV takes only 2 seconds to switch on and go to Youtube/Netflix.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
normally android tv is designed to go to standby when the power button on the remote is pressed, so it will return to live in less than a second when the power button is pressed.

the cpu of android tv is also much faster than smart tv, so you are using of android tv, you will feel navigating on smart tv is very slow, especially when switching from one app to another. if you installed additional apps, smart tv will slow to almost crawling.

kottty

Master Member
Reaction score
But anyone knows how fast their Android TVs takes to start up? Because Android TVs seems to take 30 seconds to 1 minute to start up just like a handphone or tablet. Whereas a normal Smart TV takes only 2 seconds to switch on and go to Youtube/Netflix.

even Android TV if u totally power off also need wait like 30sec to 1Min to load..for Android box also same.if u press to sleep it will load up like 2sec too

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

Philippng

Reaction score
Can I install StarhubTV+ app into Xiaomi Mi Box S?
as long as it is an android apk and compatible to the Box, i would think it can be done.
Starhub TV box is also an android box. Is very difficult to sideload apk into Starhub box as the OS
dont permit to installed third parties app. However, i have try and able to sideload some app( it take much effort to overcome)

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
as long as it is an android apk and compatible to the Box, i would think it can be done.
Starhub TV box is also an android box. Is very difficult to sideload apk into Starhub box as the OS
dont permit to installed third parties app. However, i have try and able to sideload some app( it take much effort to overcome)

not always true.

same proprietary apps check for box ID, MAC... etc. If not correct, either cannot install or cannot run after installation.

Philippng

Reaction score
not always true.

same proprietary apps check for box ID, MAC... etc. If not correct, either cannot install or cannot run after installation.
Oh yes, if it cannot run it is due to android compatibility. However, if it can be installed but not able to get access it is due to the app being control for certain user only . You are sure right, sometime a mod version can have a workaround

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can I install StarhubTV+ app into Xiaomi Mi Box S?

As of now, the answer is NO.

Starhub locks down the app so that you can not install it on any Android TV OS device like Mi Box S, Nvidia Shield TV, Chromecast 2020, Sony Android TV, etc.

lycanboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mi stick 4k vs mi box s 4k, which will you guys recommend?

Will mecool be better than these two?

Can both install the mudvod?

Thanks!

Philippng

Reaction score

Thanks!
I have done setup on MI device and they seem to have much problems.
As for mecool never try b4
to installed mudvod, i think most android device can, except for compatibility issue.
MI device sometime refuse to install some sideload app.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As of now, the answer is NO.

Starhub locks down the app so that you can not install it on any Android TV OS device like Mi Box S, Nvidia Shield TV, Chromecast 2020, Sony Android TV, etc.

now you can.

starhub put it on playstore already, so just install starhub+ from playstore.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

no problem.

works for all of them.

suggest not buying mi stick, unless you want to save a few dollars.

lycanboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have done setup on MI device and they seem to have much problems.
As for mecool never try b4
to installed mudvod, i think most android device can, except for compatibility issue.
MI device sometime refuse to install some sideload app.

no problem.

works for all of them.

suggest not buying mi stick, unless you want to save a few dollars.
Thanks guys!

I will get the mi box s 4k then.

andyhtc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought the Mi Box S after reading the recommendations here. It is reasonably priced and easy to connect. The videos are smooth.

Philippng

Reaction score
I bought the Mi Box S after reading the recommendations here. It is reasonably priced and easy to connect. The videos are smooth.
bros
most box when new mostly good, the problem come after some uses and other issue such as compatiability of app, system memory leak and lag due to heavy data use and so on.

Take your time to evaluate then you can compare. MI box is price competitive but i have feedback that it lag after some usage.

In any case goodluck and hope you get a good box

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.