Sony Xperia IV

Toader

Master Member
Reaction score
I am back from my trip in New York, and here's a short summary of my user experience so far:

1. Battery life is GOOD.

Using the phone as my main camera for half the trip, I still had around >40% battery life by 7pm (fully charged at 100% from 10am). If I happened to return to the hotel, I could just do a quick charge and be out again till 2 to 3am. I never ever had to use the portable battery charger in my bag, and I felt confident shooting photos AND videos without the fear of the battery dying on me.

2. Phone gets really hot in the sun when shooting photos and videos.

I experienced extremely hot weather (real feel 32 to 37 degrees) with really strong sun on a couple of days, and the phone got hot very quickly especially when I was shooting 120fps video, which is expected. The camera shuts down about a minute into the recording. I had to let it cool for at least 30 seconds before restarting the camera app. This only happened when it was around 12 to 2pm and the sun was intensely bright. Throughout my 9-day trip I would say the overheating issue only happened less than 10 times.

3. The dangerous "screen stuck" bug

As some of you may have seen my post last week, my phone hanged THREE TIMES one day when using the camera. I had to restart the phone manually by pressing down the volume down and screen lock buttons, and even it's a trial and error process as the phone doesn't restart immediately. On the three occasions, it took five minutes and an hour to restart. On the second instance that it hanged, the signal bands also got corrupted and I was unable to connect to phone, data and wifi networks until I reset the connection settings.

Fortunately this has never happened since, but it gave me so much anxiety that day. Doesn't help that New York doesn't have a Sony Store any more so I probably wasn't able to get help if I couldn't restart my phone.

4. Other slightly annoying bugs

- The Gallery app is SUPER BUGGY. Photos that are taken with the Basic camera mode sometimes do not appear in the gallery and it takes a minute for it to refresh. I'm perplexed that a flagship camera phone has such a clunky and honestly embarrassing photo management app - it even prompts you to PAY for the upgraded version from time to time.

- When sharing a photo from Gallery to Lightroom Mobile, sometimes the photo isn't imported and you have to repeat the Share process again.

- Fingerprint reader sometimes cannot read my thumb, especially after I've washed my hands / come out of the shower.

- Colour layout of the app drawer and apps like Instagram gets slightly corrupted when switching between apps/tabs. For example, if you are using dark mode on Instagram, switching between apps or windows could cause the top of the Instagram app to become white.

- When using Google Maps in New York, sometimes it says the accuracy is low and prompts me to calibrate again by using the camera to detect my surroundings. Not sure if it was a phone problem or network issue (I was on Mint Mobile which uses T-Mobile, will recommend getting a SIM card there as I tried using M1 data passport on the first day and it was incredibly slow.)

5. Camera is EXCELLENT.

Will give more details when I post samples, but all in all as a photographer I am impressed with it.
I hope the new update will improve all the faults.

Looks very promising as stated by Zackbucks.

ranchy

Reaction score
I am back from my trip in New York, and here's a short summary of my user experience so far:

1. Battery life is GOOD.

Using the phone as my main camera for half the trip, I still had around >40% battery life by 7pm (fully charged at 100% from 10am). If I happened to return to the hotel, I could just do a quick charge and be out again till 2 to 3am. I never ever had to use the portable battery charger in my bag, and I felt confident shooting photos AND videos without the fear of the battery dying on me.

2. Phone gets really hot in the sun when shooting photos and videos.

I experienced extremely hot weather (real feel 32 to 37 degrees) with really strong sun on a couple of days, and the phone got hot very quickly especially when I was shooting 120fps video, which is expected. The camera shuts down about a minute into the recording. I had to let it cool for at least 30 seconds before restarting the camera app. This only happened when it was around 12 to 2pm and the sun was intensely bright. Throughout my 9-day trip I would say the overheating issue only happened less than 10 times.

3. The dangerous "screen stuck" bug

As some of you may have seen my post last week, my phone hanged THREE TIMES one day when using the camera. I had to restart the phone manually by pressing down the volume down and screen lock buttons, and even it's a trial and error process as the phone doesn't restart immediately. On the three occasions, it took five minutes and an hour to restart. On the second instance that it hanged, the signal bands also got corrupted and I was unable to connect to phone, data and wifi networks until I reset the connection settings.

Fortunately this has never happened since, but it gave me so much anxiety that day. Doesn't help that New York doesn't have a Sony Store any more so I probably wasn't able to get help if I couldn't restart my phone.

4. Other slightly annoying bugs

- The Gallery app is SUPER BUGGY. Photos that are taken with the Basic camera mode sometimes do not appear in the gallery and it takes a minute for it to refresh. I'm perplexed that a flagship camera phone has such a clunky and honestly embarrassing photo management app - it even prompts you to PAY for the upgraded version from time to time.

- When sharing a photo from Gallery to Lightroom Mobile, sometimes the photo isn't imported and you have to repeat the Share process again.

- Fingerprint reader sometimes cannot read my thumb, especially after I've washed my hands / come out of the shower.

- Colour layout of the app drawer and apps like Instagram gets slightly corrupted when switching between apps/tabs. For example, if you are using dark mode on Instagram, switching between apps or windows could cause the top of the Instagram app to become white.

- When using Google Maps in New York, sometimes it says the accuracy is low and prompts me to calibrate again by using the camera to detect my surroundings. Not sure if it was a phone problem or network issue (I was on Mint Mobile which uses T-Mobile, will recommend getting a SIM card there as I tried using M1 data passport on the first day and it was incredibly slow.)

5. Camera is EXCELLENT.

Will give more details when I post samples, but all in all as a photographer I am impressed with it.

woot .. detail review.. await for your photos..

berber

Master Member
Reaction score
Haha no rah. Use for taking photos?😅😅

Sony one cannot.. Seems to cover camera
Quote from Pro-I thread:
I bought those external fan that you stick at the back of the phone. It managed to keep the phone at 46c while recording indoors, which pretty much allowed it to continuously record 4k without shutting down. Not ideal but otherwise don't see how else the overheating can be 'fixed' o_O I have alot of fun shooting with this phone though. Pity about the video.
Haven't tested on 1 IV but should be similar

Toader

Master Member
Reaction score
Update. The phone now behaves similar to xperia 1III. Love it! Now the only issue is the telephoto lens. Otherwise only using camera i/ heavy processor applications like gaming (I'm not into much gaming) will then heat up the phone much but still not shut down the phone. My strava application was running at background. For the camera it will prompt heat temperature but you can choose to continue using it but will not shut down during my testing around 5 minutes and I'm testing it with manual maximum brightness setting. Saving photos to memory card is very fast too as well as previewing photos after taken. Wifi distance also seems longer reception range. Previously connection in shower room not that good just coincidentally I brought it in to watch YouTube the loading became smooth. Nice!
What witchcraft / sorcery is Sony doing ? 🤣🤣🤣

Loving it!!

Last edited:

ranchy

Reaction score
Anyone notice that the phone won't go go sleep or screen off?
Sometimes I notice if I leave it there, it did not go in to screen off.. Hmm..
Miss the double tap or a widget to lock it.

Toader

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone notice that the phone won't go go sleep or screen off?
Sometimes I notice if I leave it there, it did not go in to screen off.. Hmm..
Miss the double tap or a widget to lock it.
Should able to auto off the screen depend on your settings ..

Update to my stress usage testing today :
Set display to manual brightest. All applications closed beside strava and music player and web browser and sometimes telegram for messages. Turned on strava and went jog connected to Sony WF- 1000XM4 earbuds. Phone was a little warm. Turned on photo pro. Around 2 minutes the temperature warning logo ( look like a micro sd with thermometer ) came on. I still continued shooting and testing. Around 30 seconds later display went dimmed like to around half brightness?

About 5 minutes to the camera the main heating warning ( bigger size triangle with three streaks of smoke sign) appeared. I select continue using. Then again about a minute later it automatically turn off the camera. Phone was warm but not hot. I had my normal transparent silicon case on my phone.

I tried turning on camera back it is able to turn back on with the micro SD thermometer heat warning and the main heat warning was gone.

Display brightness went back normal (my manual brightest setting ) around 30 seconds later. Strava map did not go haywire too ~

So all in all, its heat management is really similar to xperia 1III besides the hotter processor, which is really a feat, and now they need to fix the sharpness of the telephoto lens.

wolvie77

Reaction score

Set display to manual brightest. All applications closed beside strava and music player and web browser and sometimes telegram for messages. Turned on strava and went jog connected to Sony WF- 1000XM4 earbuds. Phone was a little warm. Turned on photo pro. Around 2 minutes the temperature warning logo ( look like a micro sd with thermometer ) came on. I still continued shooting and testing. Around 30 seconds later display went dimmed like to around half brightness?

About 5 minutes to the camera the main heating warning ( bigger size triangle with three streaks of smoke sign) appeared. I select continue using. Then again about a minute later it automatically turn off the camera. Phone was warm but not hot. I had my normal transparent silicon case on my phone.

I tried turning on camera back it is able to turn back on with the micro SD thermometer heat warning and the main heat warning was gone.

Display brightness went back normal (my manual brightest setting ) around 30 seconds later. Strava map did not go haywire too ~

So all in all, its heat management is really similar to xperia 1III besides the hotter processor, which is really a feat, and now they need to fix the sharpness of the telephoto lens.
Nice to hear the overheating has improved. The Xperia 1iii has such an improvement for their heat issues? i'm considering getting Mkiii actually.

Toader

Master Member
Reaction score
Nice to hear the overheating has improved. The Xperia 1iii has such an improvement for their heat issues? i'm considering getting Mkiii actually.
Yes. Heating issues greatly reduced on the xperia 1III. Its cooler than the xperia 1IV but I love the 1IV a little more because of the brighter display (which many complained of including me) as well as full flat display (the rest curved display are really gimmicks ) as well as battery life. But I'm not a gamer so did not test both mobiles on online gaming though.

Hope Sony really solve this heating issue a little more as well as the telephoto lens focusing it will really be lovely.

Last edited:

ranchy

Reaction score

Yup, set to close at 15 sec. Don't happen often. Anyway restart phone. Seem more stable.

Nice that you did a stress test on the heating issues.i did not really test it. Felt phone will feel warm if watching YouTube.

For normal usage, don't feel the phone warm and Battery life of phone is great.
I'm using 60hz, felt its good enough for my usage.

For the telephoto lens, yes sharpness is abit poor. Not sure is it focus issue. But I felt the sensor size is smaller not which does help on the photo quality.

Toader

Master Member
Reaction score
Yup, set to close at 15 sec. Don't happen often. Anyway restart phone. Seem more stable.

Nice that you did a stress test on the heating issues.i did not really test it. Felt phone will feel warm if watching YouTube.

For normal usage, don't feel the phone warm and Battery life of phone is great.
I'm using 60hz, felt its good enough for my usage.

For the telephoto lens, yes sharpness is abit poor. Not sure is it focus issue. But I felt the sensor size is smaller not which does help on the photo quality.
The telephoto the problem is worldwide. Sony likely will come up another firmware for the lens.

Toader

Master Member
Reaction score
New update from Zackbucks :

系统版本:64.0.F.9.8

主要更新内容
- 进一步优化系统温控算法
- 优化系统流畅性
- 屏幕解锁动画显示改进

感谢大家的等待与支持!
我们会继续努力,带来更好的Xperia使用体验

Hope it addresses the telephoto lens too! ~
-------------------------------------------------------------
Update : it seems they are working on their sorcery haha. 🤣🤣

这一版虽然文件不大,但修改了底层的深层逻辑,所以检查安装的时候可能比较慢,我等了一个多小时,还请耐心等待
[笑cry]
[笑cry]
[笑cry]

Update :

Xperia 1 III (left), Xperia 1 IV (right) AnTuTu benchmark
The first round of refrigerating for ten minutes, the initial temperature is 11 ℃,
The second round room temperature 25 ℃,
The third round After testing the state of the second round (battery temperature is about 36 ℃).

Based on Xperia 1 III 61.1.A.9.140
and Xperia 1 IV 64.0.F.9.8 (latest version currently)

The new temperature control algorithm brought by the new firmware has indeed greatly improved the experience. It would be great if this version was just launched.

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4790562869481047

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.