Asus GT-AX11000/Pro, RT-AX89X, , GT-AX6000, RT-AX88U Pro, RT-AX86U/Pro, RT-AX86S, TUF-AX6000, RT-AX82U (V1/V2), TUF-AX5400, RT-AX5400 and TUF-AX4200

endrue

Reaction score
It will depend on your use case.

RT-AX55/56U have the same grade of CPU as RT-AX58U/82U and Zenwifi XT8 (BCM6750/BCM6755). The CPU is good enough for majority of the users.

But if you want higher performance in applications like VPN client or server, then RT-AX86U/88U/GT-AX11000 will have an edge. GT-AX6000 and RT-AX89X have the best CPU.

The most suitable to be put in the DB box is wired router like those from Ubiquiti or MikroTik, or DIY type like mini PC based OpenWRT/pfSense. Unfortunately they may not be as easy to setup as the consumer routers.
Agree with bro Xiaofan. Decided to use RT-AX56U in the DB box using wired backhaul. AiMesh is very stable and full signal for all the room. (Other 2 nodes using AX88U and AX58U). Somehow I feel AX56U signal is stronger than AX58U 😅. But yes to maximise of Singtel 1Gbps, AX58U is much better during speed test

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just tested using Singtel Speedtest server: Singtel 1Gbps plan, RT-AX82U wireless router, Acer laptop with buit-in Intel AX201 wireless adapter. The results are not that consistent though, especially the upload speed. The download speed is pretty good at near range, sometimes even as close as the wired speed.

Probably higher end routers like RT-AX86U may be more consistent.
9a8db37c-f834-4dd0-8a6e-170c5c07e73c.png

70230aaf-06db-4d7d-9f48-709b0e526209.png

eb4e8bee-00c5-4e8e-8846-44d2ff9f2718.png

Last edited:

nagase_4

Reaction score
Curious qns, anyone placed their main routers inside a cupboard or DB box?
Do you all face overheating issues from placing the router in a enclosed space?

My current setup is AX11000 + 1 AX55 Aimesh Node, both broadcasting 2G and 5G wifi.
Wife's been complaining about the size of AX11000 and how it's so bulky and takes up space.

My AX11000 is my main router, thinking of turning off it's wifi and just place it inside the cupboard and then use 2-3 AX55s as my AiMesh APs.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Curious qns, anyone placed their main routers inside a cupboard or DB box?
Do you all face overheating issues from placing the router in a enclosed space?

My current setup is AX11000 + 1 AX55 Aimesh Node, both broadcasting 2G and 5G wifi.
Wife's been complaining about the size of AX11000 and how it's so bulky and takes up space.

My AX11000 is my main router, thinking of turning off it's wifi and just place it inside the cupboard and then use 2-3 AX55s as my AiMesh APs.

Kind of wasted for buying the GT-AX11000 in the first place if you put it inside the cupboard or DB box. But if that is the direction of the wife, then what can you do?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 (dumpped by M1 users) selling in Carousell at around S$450 to S$490 (Usually price at around S$659), this is a much better buy at the higher end, than any other higher end Asus routers like GT-AX1000 (sold out mostly, around S$699), RT-AX88U (around S$499) and RT-AX86U (still exclusive to Singtel).

Totally not worth buying: RT-AX86S (at around S$399)

nagase_4

Reaction score
Kind of wasted for buying the GT-AX11000 in the first place if you put it inside the cupboard or DB box. But if that is the direction of the wife, then what can you do?
haha, i know right. The wifi strength of AX11000 very good.
Another option is to use the AX55 as the main router and put in the cupboard. then use the AX11000 as a AiMesh AP but that will mean i will lose the processing power of the AX11000.

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It will be totally wasted to put a high power wireless router like RT-AX86U or GT-AX6000 in the DB box. If you really need to do that, just get another cheaper RT-AX56U or RT-AX55 in the DB box.
Not true. I expected so when I was setting up my bro in law's network with an AX86U placed temporarily in his new 5 room bto's db box. But seems the walls of new btos are drywall, which meant that surprisingly his master bedroom at the opposite end of the house could get 5 bars signal strength and 600Mbps speed. End up I didn't need a second AP and the router became permanent in there.

AX86U is also perfect for placing in the db box due to its vertical orientation. Fits the shelf in it perfectly and the antennas remain upright.

nagase_4

Reaction score
Not true. I expected so when I was setting up my bro in law's network with an AX86U placed temporarily in his new 5 room bto's db box. But seems the walls of new btos are drywall, which meant that surprisingly his master bedroom at the opposite end of the house could get 5 bars signal strength and 600Mbps speed. End up I didn't need a second AP and the router became permanent in there.

AX86U is also perfect for placing in the db box due to its vertical orientation. Fits the shelf in it perfectly and the antennas remain upright.
Hows the heat? Will your router gets over heated or something?

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hows the heat? Will your router gets over heated or something?
Didn't notice any elevated temperatures on the router or db box when I went there again to update the firmware. Plenty of vertical space above it to the ceiling so although enclosed it's not to the point where heat is an issue. Also have the ONT and a switch running in there.

nagase_4

Reaction score
Didn't notice any elevated temperatures on the router or db box when I went there again to update the firmware. Plenty of vertical space above it to the ceiling so although enclosed it's not to the point where heat is an issue. Also have the ONT and a switch running in there.
Okie thanks! I will also try putting it in my cupboard and let it run for a few days and monitor.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Agree with bro Xiaofan. Decided to use RT-AX56U in the DB box using wired backhaul. AiMesh is very stable and full signal for all the room. (Other 2 nodes using AX88U and AX58U). Somehow I feel AX56U signal is stronger than AX58U 😅. But yes to maximise of Singtel 1Gbps, AX58U is much better during speed test
If there is a wired backhaul, how come not leaving the ont/onr in DB box and use the wire to connect the ont/onr to router that located outside DB box? This may be a better choice.

endrue

Reaction score
If there is a wired backhaul, how come not leaving the ont/onr in DB box and use the wire to connect the ont/onr to router that located outside DB box? This may be a better choice.
Unfortunately I only have 1 LAN port for each room… so I have no choice in this case. Otherwise will save money not to waste another router in db box.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I only have 1 LAN port for each room… so I have no choice in this case. Otherwise will save money not to waste another router in db box.
Can understand. May be for your case, a ONR is a better option.

sgspurs

Reaction score
What's the difference between the Asus routers ? For example, between ZenWifi ET8 and those RT-AX86U ?
Trying to identify the router to put in my DB box and then the access point/mesh in all living room/bedrooms via wired.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between the Asus routers ? For example, between ZenWifi ET8 and those RT-AX86U ?
Trying to identify the router to put in my DB box and then the access point/mesh in all living room/bedrooms via wired.

If you want to put the router in the DB box, use the cheaper one with good enough CPU. In this case RT-AX86U is probably the choice between the two (Zenwifi ET8 and RT-AX86U).

Zenwifi ET8 uses the same low end BCM6755 CPU as the Zenwifi XT8 and the lowly Asus RT-AX55/RT-AX56U.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can understand. May be for your case, a ONR is a better option.

DO not even mention an ONR. Just forgot about it.

Singtel is notorious for the Singtel ONR, which is very much locked down -- you can not even set up your own DNS server. They also stopped entertaining bridgeing request of Singtel ONR for the 1Gbps plan (2Gbps plan can not brdiged, 1+1 plan does not need bridge since it already comes with one ONR port bridged).

Wizcomms also issues ONR by default but you can request to put the ONR in bridged mode (ONT mode) without extra costs if requested prior to the intallation.

Viewquest is another company which offers ONR along with ONT, but you can request to bridge the ONR unless for the 2Gbps plan.

sgspurs

Reaction score
If you want to put the router in the DB box, use the cheaper one with good enough CPU. In this case RT-AX86U is probably the choice between the two (Zenwifi ET8 and RT-AX86U).

Zenwifi ET8 uses the same low end BCM6755 CPU as the Zenwifi XT8 and the lowly Asus RT-AX55/RT-AX56U.
Thank you for the advice.

will get AX86U in the db box and connect to the mesh XD6 via the switch in ethernet back haul. Question - with this, do I need to put one of the xd6 before the switch ? I saw from TP website that you have to put the deco main node before the switch.

AX88U has quite a number ports which don’t need a switch but is much more ex. looks like have to sell off the AX55 that comes when I subscribe m1.

Now to find a place that has a good price to get the routers. Any recommendations ?

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.