Toddler crying

Eighty7

Reaction score
Need some help here. My 22 months toddler girl has been crying almost every single night.

It’s not the usual whining or crying, she would be crying and resisting and struggle while rubbing both her feets together until they become red.

We offer milk , pat her, carry her etc but it does not really works etc.

do share your experience how you guys overcome it

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need some help here. My 22 months toddler girl has been crying almost every single night.

It’s not the usual whining or crying, she would be crying and resisting and struggle while rubbing both her feets together until they become red.

too little info to advise u. Are you able to identify any trigger? Only cry at night before bed? After feeding? Tummy wind?
See PD or try seek child therapy.
For eg. https://www.nuh.com.sg/our-services.../Pages/Paediatric-Psychological-Services.aspx

eflash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Try Woodward's gripe water?
Have u check her feet (any insect bite? Or itchiness?) mine cry but never rub feet unless itchy or pain?
Check her temperature?
Check diaper?

Try to put baby to sleep... Method I tried

1. Massage (如意油)tummy and back
v2-251ba32e8156942aaaa6d9865189cb1c_1440w.jpgs

2. Massage head (baby oil or oil-free)
3. Music / sing song
4. Tissue paper (this was suggested to me by a malay grab/taxi driver) - hold a piece of tissue do swipe down motion on face (lightly) to encourage closing of eye (slowly, do a few times if needed)
5. When baby was younger, I'd use carrier as last resort to bring him to supermarket (very near and 24/7) walked a couple of round and he'd be sleeping after.

If situation don't improve, see pediatrician?

conure

Reaction score
old folk remedy is to bathe the baby in some holy water or ang huay zhui to dispel unfriendly energies

their belief is that some babies are more sensitive to negative energies around us

but may not work for everyone

also, how is the ventilation around the cot? perhaps it's stuffy because something or someone may be blocking the micro air flow around them

or maybe the baby prefers to sleep with someone providing rocking motion, good luck if that's the case

Eighty7

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advises, additional background

we would have night light, she’s sleeping on a mattress instead of cot. So ventilation is fair.

We tried sleeping together but she prefer to hug her teddy and sleep without us

we also tried applying balm on her chest to soothe her when she have cough Etc

we don’t play at night , I heard too much excitement would cause crankiness. In day time her play is generally not hyperactive kind of play. Just masak masak play ABC etc

Screentime is from tv , watch YouTube and have a couple of hours nap in daytime

marxace

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advises, additional background

we would have night light, she’s sleeping on a mattress instead of cot. So ventilation is fair.

We tried sleeping together but she prefer to hug her teddy and sleep without us

we also tried applying balm on her chest to soothe her when she have cough Etc

we don’t play at night , I heard too much excitement would cause crankiness. In day time her play is generally not hyperactive kind of play. Just masak masak play ABC etc

Screentime is from tv , watch YouTube and have a couple of hours nap in daytime
As per @chehjin , need to know when did she cry? before sleeping or sleep halfway wake up and cry? or before feeding/after feeding?
Need to know the trigger which made her cry.

Eighty7

Reaction score
She usually cry at odd hours aka sleep halfway. Like 12am , 3am etc
Usually 9pm should would have her last milk feed before heading to bed.
Her main meals are solids already

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check her gums. Use ur finger and run it along the gums. Can feel for little hard bumps. Likely teething already.
either prepare cold teething toys for her to bite or teething gel. If possible dun use anything. Let her get used to the pain. After a while she will get used to it and stop fussing.
Another possible is diaper rash or UTI. But UTI usually comes along with fever.

PsyClick

Reaction score
Excluding other medical conditions
This is likely a phase that they go through, can look up on the term night terrors

marxace

Reaction score
probably nightmares? scared of dark when suddenly awake.
hopefully a passing phase.. gotta reassure when she's crying or awake that there is nothing to be scared..
my boy 21 months also cant sleep well.. wakes up several times in the night.. sometimes makes whinning noises here and there.. he can even open door and walk to kitchen in the middle of the night...
if whine too long, i will hoot him with his pillow and he will guai guai fall asleep.

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IMHO.
Rubbing of feet could be itch due to fungal or allergy.
Tabulate a before and after table i.e. any changes to food or places visited.
Also include the time of occurrence to determine if there is a pattern.
E.g. weekday more often or none during weekend.

edmwing

Reaction score

I suggest get it checked out by a PD if it is unusual. A colleague's kid had some underdeveloped respiratory valve and often cried after milk. Seems just slightly odd at the point of time but it persisted so they went to a PD. Some meds were given and the kid's fine afterwards.

brownandwhitedog

Reaction score
Hope your kid is better. Did your kid just started pre-school (usually at 18mths) and this crying only started after that? If yes, it may be probably due to some stress from school but overtime it should become better.

Otherwise, good to check with a PD. Not sure if you let her wear socks when she sleeps? this may help.

catwhisperer

Reaction score
Is she toilet sensitive?
Sometimes they cry because they need to pee but don't know how to say so (cos too sleepy). Maybe you can talk to her about it.

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

2 things.

1. See doctor to exclude any medical conditions.

2. Pray to the bed goddess to ensure she will look after the kid. It works for my kids too after the doctor couldn't find anything wrong with my kids night fussiness.

bottlepin

Reaction score
I've used the car trick multiple times as well and they usually are unhappy initially to go to the car but once in their car seat, things change very fast!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.