Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 6

happily1986

Reaction score
I'm looking for a very niche chainring that I'm reasonably satisfied can't be bought off the shelf: a 130 BCD chainring with 25H teeth (not the conventional #40 teeth).

I'm thinking to CNC it out of 7075 aluminium. I've got a crappy STL ready to go (using chainringgen).

Anybody done this in Singapore? What mill service did you go with? Any tips?

Reaction score
Using FreeCAD instead of OpenSCAD to take advantage of the inbuilt sprocket generator:

Ur6BKYnh.jpg

My choice of 77 teeth is cutting it close, on #25 chain pitch, with such a large 130mm BCD crank. It's just a ring of material at this point; the bolts are very nearly at the teeth themselves.

For a fixed gear bicycle I probably don't need to chamfer the teeth, do I? Not terribly difficult in a CNC sense, I'm sure, but the problem is more that I have no idea how much to add - sprockets are standardized but the choice of chamfer on a bicycle chainring seems to be a dark art wrought from rumours and wild guesses the needs of derailleurs and/or narrow-wide teeth width patterns.

8KT8kJL.jpg

Anyway, can't be hard to file down if it turns out flat teeth get stuck or something - could just install it and spin the crank against a file as a "poor man's lathe".

Any mech engs in the house want to venture an opinion? :p

Last edited:

jinsatkilife

Reaction score
beginner here, I want to buy a bicycle that can fit my lift so that I can cycle to my gym.

How do you guys know on average, what's the market price for different bicycles? Any website like iPrice that was for HP?

I think a foldable bicycle will be more exp than a normal bicycle that's shorter but can fit my lift right?
any recommendations on where to buy bike? online?/overseas?

thinking of second hand, is carousell the only place to find? got so many that idk how to filter my search
Your life jin satki...
Why not u measure n post the dimensions of your lift first? If not how to recommend?

FYI my road bike can fit into old HDB lift. Dunno what's your issue

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

L: 110cm
H: 135cm
Diagonal: 165cm

when i was young, i used to have a bicycle given by my parents that was long that I had to turn it vertically up each time i enter the lift

Had PTSD and hate bringing the bicycle as it was too troublesome

I just want to have a simple bike that no one will steal so i can cycle to and back from my gym, won't be getting into group cycling

Last edited:

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
L: 110cm
H: 135cm
Diagonal: 165cm
when i was young, i used to have a bicycle given by my parents that was long that I had to turn it vertically up each time i enter the lift
Had PTSD and hate bringing the bicycle as it was too troublesome
I just want to have a simple bike that no one will steal so i can cycle to and back from my gym, won't be getting into group cycling

Have u tried to steer the front wheel to the side of the lift? So your bike will look almost 90 degrees angle folded.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

jinsatkilife

Reaction score
Have u tried to steer the front wheel to the side of the lift? So your bike will look almost 90 degrees angle folded.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!
Don't have a bicycle now, so asking where to get this simple bicycle without paying too high a price. Hence the original qn

I'm thinking of budget around 200-500,is it realistic?

I look at Brompton, quite ex sia

What do you guys think of decathlon bicycle? anyone using?

or any of these bicycle shop

https://www.singsaver.com.sg/blog/best-online-bicycle-shops-singapore

Last edited:
Reaction score
Picked up a Strida second-hand whilst the Carryme languishes as a project bicycle.

So far so fun. The reviews ain't kidding about the steering being twitchy with such a short wheel base.

rarenick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't have a bicycle now, so asking where to get this simple bicycle without paying too high a price. Hence the original qn
I'm thinking of budget around 200-500,is it realistic?
I look at Brompton, quite ex sia
What do you guys think of decathlon bicycle? anyone using?
or any of these bicycle shop
Hero-Image-Template-102.png

10 Best Online Bicycle Shops In Singapore To Buy Cheap Bikes
Shopping around for a bicycle? Here are 10 online bicycle shops where you can snag a bicycle for cheap and have them delivered right to your doorstep.
cropped-Magnifying-Glass-with-Tick-32x32.png

www.singsaver.com.sg

Buy a cheap bi-fold bike or a mini velo will suffice. Decathlon bikes are fine. I even bought a dahon single speed foldie from China via shopee for only $200, and works fine for daily food tabao errands.

I will avoid aleoca because their parts always get rusty or damaged quite easily. I don't have very good impression of Tay junction sales service. Hello Bicycle gave me impression they sell expensive stuffs so may not be suitable for u?

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

jinsatkilife

Reaction score
Buy a cheap bi-fold bike or a mini velo will suffice. Decathlon bikes are fine. I even bought a dahon single speed foldie from China via shopee for only $200, and works fine for daily food tabao errands.

I will avoid aleoca because their parts always get rusty or damaged quite easily. I don't have very good impression of Tay junction sales service. Hello Bicycle gave me impression they sell expensive stuffs so may not be suitable for u?

Read HWZ Forum Rules!
i see, my budget is around $200-$500. I will avoid those shops you mentioned since there are so many choices. Btw, when do these shops hold promos or how to get cheaper prices? Was hoping for 9/9 discount

Lastly, is there anything I need to look out for in terms of specifications?

rerear

Reaction score
Have a mountain bike that the crank and gears/casette are rusty. How much usually if ask shop to change these out totally? How to maintain such bicycle parts to not get rusty, need to regularly oil it after each ride?

Reaction score
In bad ideas:

qpL3Z5uh.jpg

Rinsten spring knock-off on a Strida.

No other way to add shocks, however. Mitigates what can be a real pain in the arse on bumpy roads. Plus, it adds some critically-needed adjustment range.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have an old CarryMe (2008 model) with the dual-speed ATS Speed Drive. Bought it second-hand; believe the previous owner got it from E-walker.

E-walker is sadly no longer distributing the CarryMe and the current distributor (MightyVelo) is not a believer in the dual-speed models and doesn't have the tools or support for it.

The Speed Drive unit is starting to give me issues (the heel shifter is not shifting well and sometimes drops into neutral). Does anyone know a shop that would service these things in Singapore?
An update:

e-Walker quoted a healthy chunk of change even for removing the Speed Drive BB. Protip: if you buy these bicycles off Carousell, no power on heaven or earth can obtain reasonable servicing for them in Singapore.

In the end, I tried to remove it myself and discovered that in that the problem was just that the gear shift button under the heel strike plate had come loose. Fifteen minutes with the manual and an allen key and now all is well with the world. For now, anyway.

yuzu28

Reaction score
Is Rifle R8 the lightest for 20" foldie below $500?
Can install a rear rack?
Anyone has experience between Rifle, Velo and Hito, can share?
Yes to all your questions based on my research. But I dun own a Rifle

fishcracker

Reaction score
I am looking at Giant Escape 2 which only has XS frame avaliable (150 to 160cm), my nephew is 161cm.. do you think he can still ride the XS frame?

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am looking at Giant Escape 2 which only has XS frame avaliable (150 to 160cm), my nephew is 161cm.. do you think he can still ride the XS frame?
def can at most raise seat post higher and maybe a longer stem in front?

farmers

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a foldable bicycle for 1.8m+ adult? Thank you.

Usage: casual riding at pcn and to nearby mall/supermarket

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.