Air conditioning - Any recommendations please?? - Part 2

BuGGi3

Master Member
Reaction score
just my personal experience in view of similar issue despite buying from big electronical agent along with LG or in a way distributor

if there are major issue, buying from small store, likely you will end up nowhere, unless the price negate alot of factors, ie worth more than $500-$1000 of price difference

even though big electronical agent is not that fantastic, at least they have to bear the issue due to they are part of the vicious cycle of their advert, if go to small shop like those aircon cleaning company who also does installing, in the event its not honor, there come the saving part

even LG down own up their issue or take ownership and went MIA
thus hope this helps

compressor change (broke down mutiple time over 2 year, external parts + compressor if base on external company, run up to $4k easily, to LG its nothing since its their own product) , multiple water leaking issue despite regular cleaning -> this boil back to product quality of both product (aircon) + 3rd party installer product (piping)
was quoted few hundred $ to fix the leak thus skip it and let the default warranty cover but need to chase high and low

if this was 3rd party small shop, how it turn out depend on the shop
even aircon cleaning experience after testing quite a few and check their service is not rendered as advertise, can tell alot on the scope of work done too
Is this Artcool series?

devilcup

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nobody recommend Panasonic aircon? Looks cheap.
I went a few big store and ask... they all dun recommend panasonic... siding unit too new and parts availability etc.

After a few shop check... decided to get daikin instead. My previous hse using daikin sys4. Even it is under spec serve me well for 6 yrs and going strong! Using max 2 units at a time daily.

naruto13

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I went a few big store and ask... they all dun recommend panasonic... siding unit too new and parts availability etc.

After a few shop check... decided to get daikin instead. My previous hse using daikin sys4. Even it is under spec serve me well for 6 yrs and going strong! Using max 2 units at a time daily.

Did a Google review on daikin, u will be shock at the review, if kena, service is exactly same as lg

Ghostrider

Reaction score
Planning to change my 9 year old R22 aircon system as the one of the compressor running my master bedroom fan coil is having problem. The other 2 rm cooling are ok.
The copper pipes in the house is 23 years old already. Not planning to reuse those pipes.
All the pipes is housed in the trunking and boxed up in a L-box along the wall.

Question, If i purchase the ME starmax aircon system from GC , HN or other, are they able to route new pipes thru the same path? Don't mind punching some holes in the L-box to get in install.

Anyone have experience in upgrading your old aircon?

naruto13

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I did, me and daikin have almost the same amount of complain... panasonic seldom see but not many install or all diam diam

i would prefer daikin, but looking at the constant "compressor" issue on their review coming from lg with rubbish quality too

me look more stable
the way daikin operate and how the user wrote on how they fix compressor, its pretty certain pray hard no issue as there will be no warranty

happykapy

Reaction score
Planning to change my 9 year old R22 aircon system as the one of the compressor running my master bedroom fan coil is having problem. The other 2 rm cooling are ok.
The copper pipes in the house is 23 years old already. Not planning to reuse those pipes.
All the pipes is housed in the trunking and boxed up in a L-box along the wall.

Question, If i purchase the ME starmax aircon system from GC , HN or other, are they able to route new pipes thru the same path? Don't mind punching some holes in the L-box to get in install.

Anyone have experience in upgrading your old aircon?
Bro you and me in the same boat.

Punching of holes no problem but there will be applicable charges that they need to add.
Number of holes they cut out and also length of piping replaced. As far as they can. they will follow same path.

Are you going for ME too?

Ghostrider

Reaction score
Bro you and me in the same boat.

Punching of holes no problem but there will be applicable charges that they need to add.
Number of holes they cut out and also length of piping replaced. As far as they can. they will follow same path.

Are you going for ME too?
Heard per hole opening is $150. I may need 5 holes opening in the L Box.

ME or Panasonic on my list. Don't know why Panasonic not popular choice here.

IF ME, then will be ME MXY-4H38VG+ 3x MSXY-FP10VG(Bedroom) + MSXY-FP20VG (living Rm)
Most of the time 1 bedroom and living rm aircon will run together.
Think having 4H38VG is over spec, but still better choice

But the 4H38VG may not be able to access the aircon ledge thru my master bedroom window. Maybe need to push over from kitchen window, but no sure can be done before.

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
These complications are one of the reasons why costs can be much more than the quoted HDB prices for new aircons...

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The ME Starmex aircons still having stock issues?

My installer says he called several suppliers and all cannot give him a date for restock even 😓
Depend on individual installer. Heck, even within GC, different people give diff answer :s22:

All these were enquired on 15th Nov:
- GC Northpoint say currently waiting for stock to come in, 5th Dec earliest install date
- GC Tampines 1 say currently no stock and no ETA on stock, maybe earliest restock is end-December

Anyways, I went ahead to purchase from GC online. Online sales got back to me 2 days later, and the aircon was installed on 22nd Nov

Edit: sys3 ME, 3H28 13/10/10

Last edited:

Ghostrider

Reaction score
Depend on individual installer. Heck, even within GC, different people give diff answer :s22:

All these were enquired on 15th Nov:
- GC Northpoint say earliest is 5th Dec earliest install date
- GC Tampines 1 say no ETA on stock, maybe earliest restock is end-December

Anyways, I went ahead to purchase from GC online. Online sales got back to me 2 days later, and the aircon was installed on 22nd Nov

Edit: sys3 ME, 3H28 13/10/10
when purchased GC online, can ask to do a site survey? afraid the pipe routing is not feasible. Mine is replacement of R22 old aircon with ME starmax.

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
when purchased GC online, can ask to do a site survey? afraid the pipe routing is not feasible. Mine is replacement of R22 old aircon with ME starmax.
I think best you click on the site survey request before buying. Mine was standard HDB install. Plus all the unit combination was exactly what I wanted, so online purchase worked for me.

Any additional charges will be paid separately via PayNow when the online sales team reach out.

naruto13

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think best you click on the site survey request before buying. Mine was standard HDB install. Plus all the unit combination was exactly what I wanted, so online purchase worked for me.

Any additional charges will be paid separately via PayNow when the online sales team reach out.

but the online price should be higher than store?
some store may try to give lower price depend on the sales person

Devilsire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Can, I believe order cancellation/refund is available as long as before installation date. I simply place order via online with remarks to request for site visit. Called in few days later after no update and the CSO noted my enquiry. Assigned sales agent then contacted me and arrange site visit. Discussed possible layout, any extra works/fees etc, and inform ETA stock available and confirmed installation slot on a later date (~1mth)

Sent from Poco F3 using EDMWER app!

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but the online price should be higher than store?
some store may try to give lower price depend on the sales person
As usual, YMMV with sales people in-store on the haggling part.

I chose to buy online for 2 reasons;
1) 5% cashback with CC payment (and I can rollover the payment amount because it's not cash)
2) For some reason, in-store sales guy would only quote max 1+4 EW, where else online there's option for 1+6 EW.

devilcup

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Heard per hole opening is $150. I may need 5 holes opening in the L Box.

ME or Panasonic on my list. Don't know why Panasonic not popular choice here.

IF ME, then will be ME MXY-4H38VG+ 3x MSXY-FP10VG(Bedroom) + MSXY-FP20VG (living Rm)
Most of the time 1 bedroom and living rm aircon will run together.
Think having 4H38VG is over spec, but still better choice

But the 4H38VG may not be able to access the aircon ledge thru my master bedroom window. Maybe need to push over from kitchen window, but no sure can be done before.
ya that is what i find out some supplier charge much higher but in general that i find out, is 150 a hole, they willl quote ard 5-6 holes

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.