Vietnam

paladin

Master Member
Reaction score
@paladin Is there a typo? Grab price is fixed, so there's no need to worry about being stuck in traffic, isn't it? For airport transfer (at least for HCM and Phu Quoc), Grab is still cheapest. Just that got to walk a bit further out to the pick-up point and need to look out for the car/driver (more chaotic in HCM Tan Son Nhat airport). May help a bit by showing the driver a 'selfie'. LOL.
Grab price is fixed, but subjected to surge pricing, especially for SUV, at the airport due to people wanting bigger cars for their luggages. You know to book Grab at airport, the passengers on your flight plus other flights at the same time also doing the same thing.

if you just take normal grab, just grab is likely cheaper because any car also can, but some budget cars are really small.

I only book 7 seater SUV to and fro airport to accommodate my family and luggages. Also maybe during covid period, the price of airport transfer was cheaper? I only paid $9.20 for airport transfer from Danang airport to hotel. The price may be different now

Last edited:

awhw

Reaction score
Grab price is fixed, but subjected to surge pricing, especially for SUV, at the airport due to people wanting bigger cars for their luggages. You know to book Grab at airport, the passengers on your flight plus other flights at the same time also doing the same thing.
Makes sense now! I was only referring to the normal Grab. Thanks for clarifying!

cryn79

Reaction score
It’s not hard..
Walk out to the pick up point and just look out for his car plate. Traffic at the pickup point wil be slow so you have enough time to spot him.
Hi dead pirate Roberts,
As shared by members before the place was chaotic.
Yesterday it was indeed chaotic for me, with so many ppl and grab cars arriving to p/u passengers as well. To make matters worse, I was rushing for time to catch my coach to Mui ne.
After the 1st round, I saw the driver went past me. I had indicted on the msg that I was at pillar 10 as well.
On the 2nd rd,he tried to call me and spoke only vietnamese.
I rem a member suggest to take a selfie and put in the msg. It worked!
He found me instead.
Tnks to the members again for sharing their experience.
It's been 10yrs since I came to HCM.
I thought the danang experience would have served me well. Haha

Reaction score
Hi dead pirate Roberts,
As shared by members before the place was chaotic.
Yesterday it was indeed chaotic for me, with so many ppl and grab cars arriving to p/u passengers as well. To make matters worse, I was rushing for time to catch my coach to Mui ne.
After the 1st round, I saw the driver went past me. I had indicted on the msg that I was at pillar 10 as well.
On the 2nd rd,he tried to call me and spoke only vietnamese.
I rem a member suggest to take a selfie and put in the msg. It worked!
He found me instead.
Tnks to the members again for sharing their experience.
It's been 10yrs since I came to HCM.
I thought the danang experience would have served me well. Haha
No worries usually I just call them and let them know where and I will look out for their car plate. Sometimes if they stuck behind the queue I will just walk over
Things to take note. Those ride hailing and taxis have a yellow car plate or the sticker xe hop dong. Just remember the car model and the last 2 to 3 digits of the carplate.
If you need anything in hcm let me know.
Can hook u up.

TheSage

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm planning a solo trip to Hanoi/Ninh Bing/Halong. Probably booking my trips to NB and Halong through Klook. Any suggestions of where to stay, eat and shop in Hanoi? is it better to stay around Old Quarter or is it a tourist trap? any other day trips that I can include? Not planning to go Sapa cos doesn't look that interesting to me

paladin

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm planning a solo trip to Hanoi/Ninh Bing/Halong. Probably booking my trips to NB and Halong through Klook. Any suggestions of where to stay, eat and shop in Hanoi? is it better to stay around Old Quarter or is it a tourist trap? any other day trips that I can include? Not planning to go Sapa cos doesn't look that interesting to me
Information available in the last 100 pages of this thread. Do your own due diligence based on your own circumstances

awhw

Reaction score
Information available in the last 100 pages of this thread. Do your own due diligence based on your own circumstances
It’s ok lah :) Sometimes it’s really not easy to sieve through so many posts to look for specific info.

paladin

Master Member
Reaction score
It’s ok lah :) Sometimes it’s really not easy to sieve through so many posts to look for specific info.
That's why need a Vietnam folder to categorise various topics , but "what to eat, shop, see, buy in XXX" have been answered so many times probably Chatgpt can do a better job than Wikitravel, TripAdvisor, Google travel or even Klook.

cryn79

Reaction score
Changed at arcade Raffles Place on 6 march. 17507
Looks like the gap between changing in HCM and SG is not so big for small amt.
I have just checked the FX chart, the VND seems to be gaining strength over the SGD over the last 1 mth.

awhw

Reaction score
Anyone been to Nha Trang/Phu Quoc before? Anything interesting over there?
I went to Phu Quoc during CNY. For me, it’s the experience with the long cable car ride, just for the heck of it. Was more into indulging in a relaxing (and abit luxurious) time at a nice hotel (Movenpick). The night market is pretty good as in the vendors aren’t too pushy and the seafood is not too expensive (despite being a tourist trap).

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.