Leaked Chan Chun sing audio about masks show PAP concern about mask shortage

gravity_infinity

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hong Kong's issue with masks
Today you see newspaper? What is happening to Hong Kong now? What did South China Morning Post just report about Hong Kong?

They are down to less than one months' supply of masks for their medical people.

Which means that when the medical people don't even get the masks you think they dare to go and take care of the sick people?

Singapore to avoid masks shortage
If we have done what we have done like Hong Kong without thinking, and ask Carrie Lam, PM, myself, Lawrence Wong, Gan Kim Yong go to press conference everyone wear a mask, today everybody panic.

I can guarantee you, today our hospital system would have broken down.

They would be no more surgical masks for our hospital people because people would have all used up like tissue paper.

If every Singaporean used a surgical mask, one day we would burn 5 million surgical masks, if not more.

And since we don't know how long we got to fight this war right, and the supply lines are cut already right, how long must we conserve the surgical masks to make sure that our medical system still can work?

It could be three months, it could be six months, correct?

You all now understand the difficulty?

But then we have a problem.

Because everybody is clamouring for a mask.

And we know that the surgical masks will all be wasted and we will end up like Hong Kong one of these days without masks for their medical workers.

So what did we do?

gravity_infinity

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
are you still living in 2020?
During the initial stages of the Covid-19 pandemic, the World Health Organisation (WHO) advised against mask-wearing, and this advice was followed by the Singapore government and not because of concerns about a shortage of masks for healthcare workers.

This was clarified by Health Minister Ong Ye Kung to Parliament on Tuesday (21 Mar) in response to Mr Gerald Giam, Workers’ Party MP for Aljunied GRC, who mentioned that Singaporeans saw through the Government’s initial statements about the “real reason” why they were discouraging those who were well from wearing masks.

gravity_infinity

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wah knn moi thought moi time travelled back into start of covid days

ptsd sia
the internet remembers. and thanks to these records we can uncover OYK lies in parliament about the not worried about mask shortage as the primarily reason why they discourage healthy people from wearing mask

the_dog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
CwoVDWTUAAAXzVO.png

eAtNeAt

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Duno why now in the post covid paper they say shortage of masks was never a concern.

Knn pappies can say whatever they want no need take responsibility. Duno what is truth and what are lies.

Hardware138

Reaction score
Think m chan is street smart. Expressing the reality at that point in time. Talk sense..
I supported him .. if i am in his shoes.. i will also do likewise.. priorities for medical first..
It’s unfortunate that people dun like his frank style of speaking in plain english..
fully supported him.

freshsoapsmell

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There was a clearly a mask shortage at that time. Everywhere out of stock. And one had to pay like $75 for a box sourced online. I was only able to secure a box through a doctor friend.
ya hor

i remember queuing up at guardian with my malaysian colleague because she wants to get some masks for her family

something like $2 for 10 masks

queue damn long

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.