Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shu

Reaction score
oh no i think what you're referring to is an air cooler my friend. i'm considering buying a bona fide, real portable aircon to put in my nus dorm. its the kind where it comes with an exhaust hose for you to place through the window.

portable-air-conditioner-window.jpg

uni hall is also not very big, about 9 sq meters of floorspace.
i know its not as cold as a wall mounted one and its quite noisy too..but heck i dont need to foot the electric bills so its ok with me :p
anyone have any experience with it?

Better check with your hall if that's OK. Some charge for fridges, so they may also charge for your aircon.

Unless you've already made arrangements with your RA :)

copp3r

Reaction score
They changed to MHI today.

The living is much better on with 24 BTU unit it gets to a better temperature.

Bedrooms are worse though :( the MHI seams to have more air coming out but not as cold as the fujitsu, The centre of the fan coil is cold but the air at the sides isn't. It also has a buzz caused by the fan motor. It's at a really annoying pitch that would drive you crazy whilst trying to get to sleep. thexenomorph mentioned the same thing about MHI having the noise.

Hong Tar called MHI about the buzz, and they have another motor they can install if customers complain about it. Now have to wait for MHI to come and change the motor.

Strange that Hong Tar would recommend this brand when it seams worse for the smaller units.

So.. has MHI changed the motor?
Does it improve the cooling in the bedrooms?

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
hi, my Fujitsu (AOY36VMNM4) of less than 5 years is giving me problem again. :(

This time, it's the PCB. Now one of my FCU doesn't have any refrigerant pumped into it. Sianz. :(

Think I'm going to change it soon, coz as predicated by the Air-Con guy, things are slowly failing. double-sianz. :(:(

I thinking of Toshiba (coz my parent's place uses it for over 15 years! and it's still working! a bit rusted though), and apparently they're the only ones which still have their compressors made in Japan.

Anybody got good recommendation? Any other brands made in japan? :look:

sonic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I need service like cleaning of the blower wheel and blade, evaporator coil,
condenser coil, checking of refrigerant system etc..
Anybody get any recommendation of good service/maintenance contractor?
Thanks.

mjzsakae

Reaction score
12421079223f42f6f6f4.jpg

Hi guys.. I am currently planning to install a non-invertor system 3 unit inside my 3 room flat. The contractor has already came down for a site survey and recommends the current setup shown above. Please refer to the blue boxes for the FCU location. Do you guys think it is alright to place the FCU at the corner of a room? His reason is it might be too cold if it is blowing directly at my bed hence suggested we put it at a corner and let it cool down the room from there. I personally doesn’t set the air con lesser than 26 degree so I think it should be ok for me if I place it more to the middle of the room? What do you guys think? Feel free to share your experience. Thanks!

My preferred location will be as shown below.
**refer to the green boxes for the new location

BTW my setup is System3, should be 9000btu x3 or 9000btu x2 + 12000btu

1242109196baab751472.jpg

mjzsakae

Reaction score
Another question..

Non-invertor - stop the compressor when desired temp is reached

Invertor - compressor reduces the speed to maintain the temp when desired temp is reached

That is the main reason that invertor system is more energy saving and longer lasting right? Becos it does not need to on and off the compressor which shorten its life and also saves more energy.

Lets say what if I am setting up the system 3 with my living room attached to one compressor and 2 bedrooms sharing one. Since there are 2 rooms sharing the compressor which splits it power to half half, it will have a lesser chance to come to a stop. Does it also means that it will save more energy too?

Thanks!

tendola

Reaction score
Another question..

Invertor - compressor reduces the speed to maintain the temp when desired temp is reached

That is the main reason that invertor system is more energy saving and longer lasting right? Becos it does not need to on and off the compressor which shorten its life and also saves more energy.

Lets say what if I am setting up the system 3 with my living room attached to one compressor and 2 bedrooms sharing one. Since there are 2 rooms sharing the compressor which splits it power to half half, it will have a lesser chance to come to a stop. Does it also means that it will save more energy too?

Thanks!

U did all the science...except the maths

the upfront costs of inverter is 30-40% more than a decent non inverter

theres also a half yrly or yrly maintenance charge of ard 600 to change worn or expended inverter components else it wont even work

finally the total bill savings of inverter is just 15%+-, which come up to around 20+, at most 30+ bucks a mth?

Whats the pt of the science if the maths dont tally :s11:

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
Another question..

Thanks!

There's a nice link that explains the difference between Invertor and Non-Invertor here(http://singapore-aircon-inverter.blogspot.com/) which i pick up in this thread. Do read it.

Invertor is just the circuitry used so that the compressor can run at different speeds.

For non-invertor types, the compressor either runs at 100% or 0%. More so for multi-split air-cons. In your example, you have a system 3 compressor designed to cool 3 split units. But say you turn on 2 of them every nite, the compressor would still runs at 100% (meant for 3) each time it starts. So although I agree if that if you use 2 rooms instead of 1, there'll be lesser chance of start-stop. But (IMO), it'll not completely remove the start-stop cycle.

I like to think it as driving a manual car, for Non-Inverter types, it is only stop or 5th gear. While for Inverter types... you have 1st gear, 2nd gear... you get the picture lah... so which car uses more fuel? Well... actually it also depends on the car model, and engine capacity. But if all things kept constant, then obviously the one with more gears is more efficient. It is also considerably more expensive as well.

If you check the local energy labelling <http://els.nea.gov.sg/mels/aircon.asp>, you'll realized that for invertor types, there's a part-load COP while for non-inverter types there isn't.

Of course... invertor types now also comes with R410A refrigerant that usually comes together with other technological improvements and so is more energy efficient (so they claim). So the real energy saving may not just come from the inverter circuitry.

As for maintenance, I believe they're the same... except R410A is twice as expensive as R22, and it's working pressure is higher (meaning more leakage?).

And perhaps due to the extra invertor circuitry, it may be more prone to failure (?) :s11:

If you're concerned about the energy cost, then check the energy labelling website.

A point to note though.... an invertor air-con with COP of >3.34 is 4 ticks while a non-invertor air-con of >3.34 is only 3 ticks. In fact, NEA doesn't give 4 ticks to non-invertor types. That's weird huh?

Last edited:

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
U did all the science...except the maths

the upfront costs of inverter is 30-40% more than a decent non inverter

theres also a half yrly or yrly maintenance charge of ard 600 to change worn or expended inverter components else it wont even work

finally the total bill savings of inverter is just 15%+-, which come up to around 20+, at most 30+ bucks a mth?

Whats the pt of the science if the maths dont tally :s11:

Nothing wrong with his math, coz he wasn't aware of the "half yrly or yrly maintenance charge of ard 600"; in fact neither did i :s13:

what is this maintenance you're refering to? what inverter components are these? :look:

Coz i'm also looking to install a new air-con, and wouldn't wanna be caught with unknown costs. :s22:

sonic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
mjzsakae, uaually below are the extra points to take note for the FCU location.

1. No furniture, electronic items etc under the FCU, just in case water leaking..
2. Min breaking of wall for the pipping.
3. Min trunking for the pipping, nicer look.
4. The shorter of the copper pipping will be better,
5. The shorter for the drain pipe will be better, shorter length, lesser joints, lesser problem.

Above are what the GainCity aircon tech told me when they installed my systems 2
6 month ago. So I just let them decide and I am happy till now.
You may also tell your contractor of your plan and see what are their comments.
After all, you are paying for the installation..

mjzsakae

Reaction score
mjzsakae, uaually below are the extra points to take note for the FCU location.

1. No furniture, electronic items etc under the FCU, just in case water leaking..
2. Min breaking of wall for the pipping.
3. Min trunking for the pipping, nicer look.
4. The shorter of the copper pipping will be better,
5. The shorter for the drain pipe will be better, shorter length, lesser joints, lesser problem.

thanks for all the feedback guys.. very helpful there.. =)

based on wad u listed above, there are really doing exactly wad u mentioned.. the positions of the FCU are the shortest way to the compressor and below the FCU really has nothing lo.. i am just worried that placing the FCU at the corner of a room might cause the other side of the room to be warmer..

sonic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

based on wad u listed above, there are really doing exactly wad u mentioned.. the positions of the FCU are the shortest way to the compressor and below the FCU really has nothing lo.. i am just worried that placing the FCU at the corner of a room might cause the other side of the room to be warmer..

Well, you can always adjust the horizontal louver..:yawn:

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score

hi mjzsakae, your worry isn't entirely unfounded.

although it is correct that the longer the copper pipes the more 'cold' you'll lose along the way. but then, why do you buy an air-con? to feel cool rite? so having the air-con at a corner may also not be ideal for quick cooling of the room.

it's a trade-off lah, basically. nobody can say for sure unless he tried it both ways. :s8:

vhardono

Reaction score
I just bought Sharp inverter system 3 at courts for $2999 with 5yrs warranty. Is the price ok? Hvn't read anything about sharp Aircon.does anyone using this brand can comment about it's performance and quality?

mjzsakae

Reaction score
hi mjzsakae, your worry isn't entirely unfounded.

although it is correct that the longer the copper pipes the more 'cold' you'll lose along the way. but then, why do you buy an air-con? to feel cool rite? so having the air-con at a corner may also not be ideal for quick cooling of the room.

it's a trade-off lah, basically. nobody can say for sure unless he tried it both ways. :s8:

Agree with you but I tink i better not take the risk. I will ask them to place it another 1.5metres further down so that it is at least blowing at my legs. lOlx..

I just bought Sharp inverter system 3 at courts for $2999 with 5yrs warranty. Is the price ok? Hvn't read anything about sharp Aircon.does anyone using this brand can comment about it's performance and quality?

Dun you think its too late to ask now since you already paid? =x
Anyway, i have been googling ard and i have been seeing ppl mentioning brands like Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Daikin. =)

mjzsakae

Reaction score
Hi guys.. Called my air con contractor and did some discussion with him.
Oh ya.. I am buying Toshiba's System3 non-invertor, combination is 9000btu x3.
The Condenser Unit has 2 compressors inside, one is 12000btu and the other i tink 8000+ btu. I am planning to share the stronger one between 2 rooms, and the other to the living room only. Meaning each room will get 6000btu if both units are ON. My contractor doesn't encourage this as he is afraid that it might not be strong enough to cool down the room which i am afraid too but i tink should be ok for me as i don't really set it to really low.

Does anyone noes how does the compressor really works inside? It is a technical question.
Lets say if when both rooms FCU turned ON, each is 6000btu. When 1 FCU reaches the desired temp, the FCU unit will stop and cut connections to the compressor? When 1 FCU reaches desired temp, does it mean the other FCU which is still running will get 9000btu from the compressor?

Hope someone can answer this. THANKS!

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.. Called my air con contractor and did some discussion with him.
Oh ya.. I am buying Toshiba's System3 non-invertor, combination is 9000btu x3.
The Condenser Unit has 2 compressors inside, one is 12000btu and the other i tink 8000+ btu. I am planning to share the stronger one between 2 rooms, and the other to the living room only. Meaning each room will get 6000btu if both units are ON. My contractor doesn't encourage this as he is afraid that it might not be strong enough to cool down the room which i am afraid too but i tink should be ok for me as i don't really set it to really low.

Does anyone noes how does the compressor really works inside? It is a technical question.
Lets say if when both rooms FCU turned ON, each is 6000btu. When 1 FCU reaches the desired temp, the FCU unit will stop and cut connections to the compressor? When 1 FCU reaches desired temp, does it mean the other FCU which is still running will get 9000btu from the compressor?
Hope someone can answer this. THANKS!

Good question, one that i've also been thinking... do let me know when you've found the answer. =:p

For energy saving sake, I think that you should pair up the 2 rooms which you'll most lilkely be using often together. At least that way, you'll not be running 2 compressors that often.

6000BTU may be a little on the low side... :look:

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
hi all,

yesterday i went ahead and paid for a new system-4.

Got Toshiba Inverter System-4 (10-10-10-16), upgrade to thicker insulation and copper pipes and a 5-year extended warranty for ~$4400!

Too exp? It was ~$3600 before the various upgrades: ~$400 for thicker insulation and copper pipes; and ~$400 for 4 more years of warranty.

Ouch!

Got Toshiba coz their Compressor Unit is made in japan, and then i found out the staffs themselves are using Toshiba in their homes.

simmo2741

Reaction score
So.. has MHI changed the motor?
Does it improve the cooling in the bedrooms?

yes. It is much quieter, no motor noise at all and the bedroom is a nice temperature. Overall I am very happy with it now. 25-26 degrees is all I need to set it to in the bedroom for comfortable temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.