The Contact Lenses Thread

scoolboy

Reaction score
yeah was rinsing my eyes with tap water like crazy cus was keeping very uncomfy and miserable.lol.

now kinda scared of putting them on again alr..maybe will consider lasik in time to come..

deathman91

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah was rinsing my eyes with tap water like crazy cus was keeping very uncomfy and miserable.lol.

now kinda scared of putting them on again alr..maybe will consider lasik in time to come..

Reading posts like yours makes me scare. :(

Lasik, which is quite a new technology don't looks safe to me. Even the doctors themselves don't do it.

aldric12

Master Member
Reaction score

Important points to take note:

Soft lens = Once contact with water lens cant be wear again. Best is to use saline or eye drop.

If you wash your CL with tap water it may cuz infection to your eyes.

warhunter

Reaction score
3rd time wearing contacts..

day 1 wore bout 2 hrs..
day 2 wore bout 4-5..
day 3 wore bout 9 hrs..

but had a bad experience after day 3..
at night when was trying to remove the lenses,i realised its STUCK to my eyeballs!
very uncomfortable and very hard to take out..ended up have to "soak" my eyes in water..

is that normal or? (all 3 days were not consecutive..its like once a week or so.. and im using dailies btw)

Did your optom actually select the lenses for you or you just bought them off the shelf?
The lenses might be too tight fitting for your eyes. Ask your optometrists for other options. DO A FITTING FIRST BEFORE YOUR NEXT PURCHASE. NO off the shelf purchase. That's all i can say.

ONE IMPORTANT POINT WITH CONTACT LENSES N TAP WATER. NEVER USE tap WATER TO RINSE YOUR LENSES OR EYES. CAN MAKE YOURSELF AT RISK OF SOME SERIOUS ACANTHAMOEBA INFECTIONS. THOUGH WATER IS SAFE IN SINGAPORE, STILL TAP WATER AND LENSES DO NOT MIX.

warhunter

Reaction score
Important points to take note:

Soft lens = Once contact with water lens cant be wear again. Best is to use saline or eye drop.

If you wash your CL with tap water it may cuz infection to your eyes.

Another point to add on eye drops. ONLY Preservative free eye drops can be used together with Contact lenses. They are usually those in tiny vails. Use and throw kind of eye drops.
Eye drops in bottles contain preservatives that may cause serious abrasion on the cornea leading to an increased risk of infection by the microorganisms.

warhunter

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Another question, let's say I opened up a new monthly contact lens to use. Throughout the month, I only used about say 7days. Do I use a new one or continue with it?

No you can't keep it for more than a month. whether u wear it for 1 day or 1 week. THROW THEM AWAY AFTER A MONTH.

From the looks of it. Either your optometrist is not doing a good job. Or you just got yourself an unethical and illegal "optometrist" who did not, ensure your eye health is clear, do a fitting for the lenses as well as advise you on proper lens care and management.

warhunter

Reaction score
In view of the CONFUSION online about lenses. I post this up for all of you.

TO CLEAR THE CONFUSION.

Though there are high end high oxygen lenses and normal soft lenses.
THERE IS NO GOOD OR BAD LENS.
It is whether the LENSES fit well on you eye or not.
Lenses produced by any company go thru a stringent check on the lens production and require some sort of ISO standard before they can sell them.

To know if it fits well, YOU NEED A QUALIFIED OPTOMETRIST OR OPTICIAN(CLP) (not normal optician) to fit the lenses.
LENSES are like shoes. there are different sizes. and you need to have a trained optometrist to fit them.

The first visit would be a contact lens consultation,

--The optometrist NEEDS through with you you ocular(eye) history and ask you on why u need lenses etc.
--They would then recommend the modality of lenses whether its dailies monthlies or bi weeklies.
--A ocular health check would be conducted to see if your cornea and ocular surface is healthy and Appropriate for lens wear.
--Trial lenses would be then fitted. One pair or MULTIPLE pairs may be fitted till a "good fit" its obtained. LIKE TRYING SHOES.
--A final order would be made.

You would then collect your lenses either on the spot or when the lenses arrive.

TYPICALLY. The first aftercare visit would be conducted 1 week after then lenses are dispensed. At the aftercare visit, the optometrist will check the lens fit yet again and take a brief history only you comfort and problems etc. This is to ensure that the lenses fit you well!

THEN they will check your cornea surface and see if the lenses are reacting well on your eyes or not OR are the lenses causing a damage to the OCULAR SURFACE. LIKE SCRATCHED SKIN, the cornea can suffer from abrasion from the lenses.

A new lens may be recommended if the lenses are not reacting well on the eye. OR the lenses may be continued.

FUTURE AFTER CARE VISITS maybe required as indicated by your optometrist.

TO REPLENISH YOUR lens supply, another aftercare visit MUST be CONDUCTED BY THE OPTOMETRIST.

my 2 cents worth
Remember! NO OFF THE SHELF PURCHASES! CONTACT LENSES ARE MEDICAL DEVICES! NOT CONSUMABLES! CONSULTATIONS ARE NOT FREE!

warhunter

Reaction score
Yes , everytime you open the cap.

Dun really need to change the solution much if it is left capped on. However if you are paranoid, change every 7-14 days.

Sorry but this is not appropriate. It is reccommended to disinfect your lenses if left unused for 3-4 days! PLEASE DO NOT MISLEAD PEOPLE. THANKS.

warhunter

Reaction score
some pictures on infections casued by inappropriate handling and ill fitting lenses.

keratitis.jpg

acanthamoeba keratitis (Infection of cornea)
case4b.jpg

Contact lens papillary conjuctivitis (Inflammation caused by ill fitting lenses)
MK.jpg

Microbial Keratitis (Infection of cornea)
ciba_fig4.jpg

Contact Lens Acute Red Eye (CLARE) (due to sleeping with lenses)can cause excruciating pain

MORE TO COME.

coloumbiaGames

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In view of the CONFUSION online about lenses. I post this up for all of you.

TO CLEAR THE CONFUSION.

Though there are high end high oxygen lenses and normal soft lenses.
THERE IS NO GOOD OR BAD LENS.
It is whether the LENSES fit well on you eye or not.
Lenses produced by any company go thru a stringent check on the lens production and require some sort of ISO standard before they can sell them.

To know if it fits well, YOU NEED A QUALIFIED OPTOMETRIST OR OPTICIAN(CLP) (not normal optician) to fit the lenses.
LENSES are like shoes. there are different sizes. and you need to have a trained optometrist to fit them.

The first visit would be a contact lens consultation,

--The optometrist NEEDS through with you you ocular(eye) history and ask you on why u need lenses etc.
--They would then recommend the modality of lenses whether its dailies monthlies or bi weeklies.
--A ocular health check would be conducted to see if your cornea and ocular surface is healthy and Appropriate for lens wear.
--Trial lenses would be then fitted. One pair or MULTIPLE pairs may be fitted till a "good fit" its obtained. LIKE TRYING SHOES.
--A final order would be made.

You would then collect your lenses either on the spot or when the lenses arrive.

TYPICALLY. The first aftercare visit would be conducted 1 week after then lenses are dispensed. At the aftercare visit, the optometrist will check the lens fit yet again and take a brief history only you comfort and problems etc. This is to ensure that the lenses fit you well!

THEN they will check your cornea surface and see if the lenses are reacting well on your eyes or not OR are the lenses causing a damage to the OCULAR SURFACE. LIKE SCRATCHED SKIN, the cornea can suffer from abrasion from the lenses.

A new lens may be recommended if the lenses are not reacting well on the eye. OR the lenses may be continued.

FUTURE AFTER CARE VISITS maybe required as indicated by your optometrist.

TO REPLENISH YOUR lens supply, another aftercare visit MUST be CONDUCTED BY THE OPTOMETRIST.

my 2 cents worth
Remember! NO OFF THE SHELF PURCHASES! CONTACT LENSES ARE MEDICAL DEVICES! NOT CONSUMABLES! CONSULTATIONS ARE NOT FREE!

Thanks for the guide

theguy1991

Reaction score
Hi, it is normal to feel that there's something in the eye when blinking for new contact lens wearer?

First day : Left eye doesn't feel anything but right eye does.

Second day : Both eye feels that there's something inside...

Could it be due to wrong size? Sigh, should be researched more online before I went to get my CLs... the place I went to didn't did any measurement of my eyes.

Last edited:

screamopunk

Reaction score
Something inside the eye as in dust or? If they are new lens i doubt those are protein residue. Could be due to sensitive eyes etc. Next time gotta research properly before you buy. Let them understand that you are serious in getting but are in doubt as it's your first time etc. Try getting samples or just get 1 pair to try first before buying a whole box of lens.

theguy1991

Reaction score
Something inside the eye as in dust or? If they are new lens i doubt those are protein residue. Could be due to sensitive eyes etc. Next time gotta research properly before you buy. Let them understand that you are serious in getting but are in doubt as it's your first time etc. Try getting samples or just get 1 pair to try first before buying a whole box of lens.

I don't really know what is causing the discomfort. It's a feeling that there's a foreign object in the eye whenever I blink.

I think I should visit another place to advise on it. Anyone has recommendation? preferably from the west.

Reaction score
I don't really know what is causing the discomfort. It's a feeling that there's a foreign object in the eye whenever I blink.

I think I should visit another place to advise on it. Anyone has recommendation? preferably from the west.

hey probably ur solution. what solution are u using? i use opti-free...previously used aqua solo but that one gave me problems, smth like u described.

theguy1991

Reaction score
hey probably ur solution. what solution are u using? i use opti-free...previously used aqua solo but that one gave me problems, smth like u described.

Using solo care aqua (All in one). I was also thinking was it the solution that was causing the problem, as there was once when I put on the contact lens, my eye got the burning stinging sensation for like a min.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Using solo care aqua (All in one). I was also thinking was it the solution that was causing the problem, as there was once when I put on the contact lens, my eye got the burning stinging sensation for like a min.

yeah i had the same issue...definitely ur solution
switch to optifree...nv had problems after that.

screamopunk

Reaction score

erm i just had a change of lens brand. using ciba vision now i quite like it. however its for monthly use lah. been wearing contact lens since i was primary 5 :s13: :s13: so i was worried my eyes are too dry so i had a checkup recently at IMM's optical 88. they gave me a pair of lens for sample. its good :) :)

warhunter

Reaction score
Hi, it is normal to feel that there's something in the eye when blinking for new contact lens wearer?

First day : Left eye doesn't feel anything but right eye does.

Second day : Both eye feels that there's something inside...

Could it be due to wrong size? Sigh, should be researched more online before I went to get my CLs... the place I went to didn't did any measurement of my eyes.

Why do people never listen? Contact lenses are medical devices. They are prescribed and not bought off the shelf. Always consult your optometrist before getting a lens switch. Same goes for solutions. Certain solutions maybe over absorbed by different brand of compact lenses causing discomfort on the wearers eye. Therefore, always consult your optometrists and not here NOT ONLINE!!

Also make sure your optometrist do a health check and lens fitting before prescribing you with lenses. A health check is not just checking your prescription. If not he/she is not doing a good job and you have the right to sue him/her.

theguy1991

Reaction score
Why do people never listen? Contact lenses are medical devices. They are prescribed and not bought off the shelf. Always consult your optometrist before getting a lens switch. Same goes for solutions. Certain solutions maybe over absorbed by different brand of compact lenses causing discomfort on the wearers eye. Therefore, always consult your optometrists and not here NOT ONLINE!!

Also make sure your optometrist do a health check and lens fitting before prescribing you with lenses. A health check is not just checking your prescription. If not he/she is not doing a good job and you have the right to sue him/her.

I think I better visit a reliable optometrist to advise on it. Any recommendations? Read from your previous post, you recommended your friend, jiasheng at yew tee mrt(The point optical)
Do the health check and lens fitting comes free if I purchase the CLs provided I recieved adequate advices?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.