Prepaid Data Plan for Australia

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi FireHobbit, how does this work?
And the initial outlay? Will be in Melbourne in 2nd week of Jan
Just need a cheap prepaid card for local calls, some int calls, "controlled "web surfing to last 7/8 days in Melbourne and GOR. So for this card, the cap is $2 for unlimited internet, sms and local calls? How much do i hv to pay to get the card and i assume it comes with preloaded value?

initial reading of the link u provided suggests that I just need to top up $10 and it will be valid for 10days with $2 charged off once i use it each day. not sure if my reading is correct.

Can the card be purchased at Tullamarine Airport? Ohh for Iphone use.
Tks

For your iphone usage, you can request for the micro sim at the optus store at the Tullamarine Airport.

Yes Optus Melbourne Airport
Mobile Phones & Accessories - Tullamarine, VIC
Arrivals Terminal, Melbourne International Airport, Tullamarine VIC 3043, Australia (03) 9335 4455

taimiyyah

Reaction score
Hi,

My daughter is in Thornlie, Perth; while I am in Singapore.

I would like to get an iPad for her so that we can communicate with FaceTime or iMessage conveniently.

Can you recommend which company/line to subscribe? I don't forsee the need to get a phone line, but just a data line; also it is because i don't want her to make accidental calls and use up all the credits or get billed unnecessarily or exorbitantly.

Thanks in advanced for your advice.

Cheers!

P/s: Also, should i buy the iPad here in Sg, or buy it in Perth? My guess is that electronics are more pricey in Perth than in Sg.

Last edited:

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to get an iPad for her so that we can communicate with FaceTime or iMessage conveniently.

Can you recommend which company/line to subscribe? I don't forsee the need to get a phone line, but just a data line; also it is because i don't want her to make accidental calls and use up all the credits or get billed unnecessarily or exorbitantly.

Cheers!

P/s: Also, should i buy the iPad here in Sg, or buy it in Perth? My guess is that electronics are more pricey in Perth than in Sg.

I would recommend the Virgin Mobile, Mobile Broadband postpaid package.

Postpaid Mobile Broadband – Broadband – Virgin Mobile

The network is based on Optus network and it rather strong and stable. You may want to check the coverage if the area is covered by Optus network on their 3G or GPRS network. Mobile Network Coverage - Optus

gasgasgas

Reaction score
Hi,

Appreciate advice below...

I need to have a Australia local number for job search while i'm here in Singapore. If I get a pre-paid card in Australia, can I activate call forwarding from prepaid card to Singapore number after I return? Thanks....

beemer75

Reaction score
For the Optus card. You can choose the predominate value at the beginning of your purchase. For the $2 dollars everyday package, it will be deducted at 0000 Sydney time. For 7/8 days of tour, about AUD $20 will be sufficient for the everyday $2 package plus some very light international calls. The $2 package will consist of unlimited local calls, local sms and mobile internet for 24 hours.

so the min outlay wld be $2 for card + 8days X $2 = $18? I just wanna pay enuff for my 8 days as my next trip to Australia cld be many yrs later. happy new year to you.

taimiyyah

Reaction score

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Appreciate advice below...

I need to have a Australia local number for job search while i'm here in Singapore. If I get a pre-paid card in Australia, can I activate call forwarding from prepaid card to Singapore number after I return? Thanks....

The call forwarding service can only be activated when the prepaid sim card have roaming activated. I would recommend to use Optus since their rates and partner telecom are rather wide. But take note of the expensive roaming charges when using in Singapore.

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so the min outlay wld be $2 for card + 8days X $2 = $18? I just wanna pay enuff for my 8 days as my next trip to Australia cld be many yrs later. happy new year to you.

Thank you for your greetings. Have a great trip in Australia.

The recharge value are only available in such demoninations.

$10
$15
$20
$30
$40
$50
$70
$100
:s12::s12:

Inix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Cheers!

I would buy the iPad in Singapore. All mobile devices in SG are not carrier locked and you won't have a problem fitting any SIM cards inside. Can't say the same for AU devices.

Note that its the same for phones as well. Since your girl is going to study there and is likely going to use a prepaid card, it might be easier for her to buy a phone in SG before she goes.

Finally, for Facetime, you can only use WIFI to Facetime unless you jailbreak it. So the 3G data plan does not really help that much. What will help for communication is iMessage if your girl have iPad 2 + iPhone 3GS & above.

Inix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Also, if you want to contact her more conveniently, you might want to register for StarHub's Digital Travel Global. It costs $10 bucks and it can be free if you are StarHub Internet / TV user.

Provide you with a local number in Singapore which you can call to, and all she needs to do is to have cabled internet + a normal phone and it is as though she is in Singapore. Fabulous stuff and I used it in Malaysia, China, Thailand, Vietnam, Australia, Philippines and even France before..

taimiyyah

Reaction score
I would buy the iPad in Singapore. All mobile devices in SG are not carrier locked and you won't have a problem fitting any SIM cards inside. Can't say the same for AU devices.

Note that its the same for phones as well. Since your girl is going to study there and is likely going to use a prepaid card, it might be easier for her to buy a phone in SG before she goes.

Finally, for Facetime, you can only use WIFI to Facetime unless you jailbreak it. So the 3G data plan does not really help that much. What will help for communication is iMessage if your girl have iPad 2 + iPhone 3GS & above.

Thanks Inix,

I appreciate this a lot!

Will get an iPad2 in Singapore with Wifi and i hv an old iPhone3GS that i can pass to her. This way she can tether the iPhone to the iPad, and we can Facetime and iMessage conveniently. :)

Thanks a million!

Cheers

taimiyyah

Reaction score
Also, if you want to contact her more conveniently, you might want to register for StarHub's Digital Travel Global. It costs $10 bucks and it can be free if you are StarHub Internet / TV user.

Provide you with a local number in Singapore which you can call to, and all she needs to do is to have cabled internet + a normal phone and it is as though she is in Singapore. Fabulous stuff and I used it in Malaysia, China, Thailand, Vietnam, Australia, Philippines and even France before..

Yes I am a Starhub Internet/TV user. Have not heard of the Digital Travel Global though... Will look into it shortly...

Cabled internet and normal phone? Have not heard such a combination, but will look into it too. Currently i am using Skype, while i can receive audio and image clearly here in Singapore, but i believe that is not the case in Perth. Think the wired broadband thr is slow or something...

Thanks again and God bless everyone here!

Inix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks Inix,

I appreciate this a lot!

Will get an iPad2 in Singapore with Wifi and i hv an old iPhone3GS that i can pass to her. This way she can tether the iPhone to the iPad, and we can Facetime and iMessage conveniently. :)

Thanks a million!

Cheers
You can try Facetime via Tethering, but honestly, I am not sure if it would work. And to be honest, AU's internet leaves much to be desired. All traffic out of country pretty much sucks. For a 1st world country, their internet connectivity is dreadfully 3rd country, not to mention expensive.

What I would do is to get proper internet where your girl stays instead if you really want to Facetime her. That would really makes more sense. Besides, if Facetime fails, your iPad 2 can always do Skype, which also has Video :)

Note that if you get her a old 3GS, you need to be worried about the battery. iPhone's unchangeable battery means that if it dies, everything dies....

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For me, my own experience. I feel that Optus and Telstra Mobile Broadband are really not bad. I have tried to facetime, viber, whatsapp, even using torrent on those connection and like in my previous posting of the speed test results. They are really quite good. IMO

taimiyyah

Reaction score
You can try Facetime via Tethering, but honestly, I am not sure if it would work. And to be honest, AU's internet leaves much to be desired. All traffic out of country pretty much sucks. For a 1st world country, their internet connectivity is dreadfully 3rd country, not to mention expensive.

What I would do is to get proper internet where your girl stays instead if you really want to Facetime her. That would really makes more sense. Besides, if Facetime fails, your iPad 2 can always do Skype, which also has Video :)

Note that if you get her a old 3GS, you need to be worried about the battery. iPhone's unchangeable battery means that if it dies, everything dies....

Thanks bro! Have decided to get iPad with Wifi n3G here in Sg.
Yes, in Perth when net or phone is down, it can take a week to resolve!!

taimiyyah

Reaction score
For me, my own experience. I feel that Optus and Telstra Mobile Broadband are really not bad. I have tried to facetime, viber, whatsapp, even using torrent on those connection and like in my previous posting of the speed test results. They are really quite good. IMO

Thanks Firehobbit! I assume u are referring to SIM card-based mobile broadband.
Will check out Optus and Telstra when i reach Perth. Leaving this Sunday. :)

Inix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks bro! Have decided to get iPad with Wifi n3G here in Sg.
Yes, in Perth when net or phone is down, it can take a week to resolve!!
Not a bad thing sometime. Going offline can feel really sickening but being able to detach oneself from the world means a sense of liberation for one. But not good for you as the parent :D

Next, Perth's wired broadband isn't half bad honestly when it works. As for mobile broadband, it really depends on multiple factors. Mobile data penetration for 1, and the availability of connection.

To give you an example, I have both SingTel and M1 data plans. I use SingTel 80% of the time, but there are times where M1 is better. This despite SingTel giving me HSPDA AND full bar. Our country is simply crowded with Smartphones and Wireless is easier to fill up as compared to wired...

So you think about it...

sinner1974

Reaction score
Hi,

Happy New Year!

After reading thru the thread and searching online, I am still not too sure which prepaid data plan/service provider to get.

Any kind soul can help pls?

I will be going to Australia (Gold Coast) in Feb for 8 days. Will like to get a prepaid data plan on my iphone for surfing, tethering on my laptop and maybe some local call.

Which prepaid data plan/service provider suit me best and is value for money?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

krisflyermiles

Reaction score
i just came back from Melbourne.

1) Bought OPTUS A$30 at the Melbourne Airport. Damn slow...took almost 1hr of my time.

2) Per day S$2 deduction for unlimited surfing internet thru my mobile/notebook.

3) Call IDD to Singapore is bit costly as most of my calls are usually 1-2mins. OPTUS charge A$1 for a block for 10mins.

4) I used Pfingo which is considered good connection. Per min only S$0.02

i still left A$15 in my pre-paid card after using it for 6days of calling/daily internet.

Great stuff.......especially tethering with the notebook is fast.
Went to Great Ocean road, Penguin Island, Sovereign hill, no problem with the connection.

taimiyyah

Reaction score
Just came back from Perth.

Bought the Vodafone microsim for ipad2.
$30, free 4Gb for 1 month.
can extend for a year for $150.

I found out that to use FaceTime, u must use Wifi.
3G network cannot work.

As for iMessage, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
Right now I am not sure if the problem is iMessage itself
or Vodafone doesn't allow sending messages overseas...

need to read up more about iMessage...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.