EDMW Knife Collectors

sojourn88

Reaction score
You can try Sheares(Selegie Rd)... but prepared to get choppped big time..

come on guys!. business is business.
the thing about knives is if you order it online and ship it, there are some risks involved. Risk of lost, risk of recieving a defective item, scratches, blade centering offset, high friction, forwarder not willing to ship it ( infact Comgateway insisted that it is a weapon and refused to ship it), dealing with both side customs, not willing to release it because they thing it is a dangerous weapon, paying extra for shipment or returns...etc..so you see.. lots of unknown.

so this is when businesses such as Sheares come in.. peace of mind, everything in stock at showroom, able to inspect the item before buying, able to feel and hold it etc..
dont say about chop carrot.. rather think positive...it is value-added service that you are paying for.

sojourn88

Reaction score
The Ripple:
the more I look at it.. the more it resemble the Alien, created by HR Giger, the movies made popular by the greats of Ridley Scott and James Cameron. background image: credits go to H.R. GIGER'S ALIEN

Ripple_Alu_058_gigersalien_wm.jpg

just for the fun...guess which is the original version?
here goes:

ripple_colors.gif

nilfire77

Reaction score
come on guys!. business is business.
the thing about knives is if you order it online and ship it, there are some risks involved. Risk of lost, risk of recieving a defective item, scratches, blade centering offset, high friction, forwarder not willing to ship it ( infact Comgateway insisted that it is a weapon and refused to ship it), dealing with both side customs, not willing to release it because they thing it is a dangerous weapon, paying extra for shipment or returns...etc..so you see.. lots of unknown.

so this is when businesses such as Sheares come in.. peace of mind, everything in stock at showroom, able to inspect the item before buying, able to feel and hold it etc..
dont say about chop carrot.. rather think positive...it is value-added service that you are paying for.

No risk of lost, no risk of receiving a defective item, no scratches, perfect blade centering, buttery smooth blade deployment, forwarder? what forwarder? no customs issue, no need to pay for shipment.. Hey bro, suddenly you make it seem like the umnumzaan that I'm selling worth a lot more than my asking price of S$520! lol just joking...

Well, I know that they(eg. Sheares) have a storefront to maintain. So, to me it's more like they have to peg their selling price high enough in order to cover their overheads. This is inevitable and I thoroughly understand their predicament. To be honest, I know how high they price their stuffs, and yet I still buy from them, partly because of the few factors that you've mentioned, but most of all, it boils down to instant gratification. I see it, I like it, boom! it's mine!

Having said that, I still get most of my addictions online. Because the savings is worth the risks, at least in my perspective. So far, all of my online buying stints had been trouble-free except for one. CGW refused to forward my Strider SMF deeming it as a weapon, so I had no choice but to fork out $$ for return shipping and get the seller to ship the item direct to me instead. An expensive lesson learnt. However, that still doesn't stop me from buying online. Afterall, I get awesome kicks from receiving parcels from the mailman! :s13:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Agree re:pricing. It's a free market,if you dont like the price from anyone, get it yourself from online, other dealers, etc etc. I do a combo of all:)

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
The famous Fairbairn-Sykes Commando Knife
Any idea if this knife is allowed into Singapore?
The thing is that it is double edged.
it has great collector interest.

some pics here:

I'm sure if they were boxed up in a display case, you could plead your case to A&E. But on their own with sharpened double edges, I doubt.

If you like that style of daggers, there are many used by various forces around the world, including our neighbours Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand etc. In fact for Indonesia, the Kopassus have their own variant, compared to the regular army blokes.

I like to admire someone else's collection but for me, I just stick to stuff I can actually / am prepared to use.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
nillfire, I think your umnumzaan is priced very well, in fact, soon it will be hard to find those old style pivots in the aftermarket. I recall nobody wanting to buy my large regular sebenza when I sold it at a loss, then suddenly, they discontinued it and the price went up by 40%, if they were at all available :eek:

BIG REGRET :s13:

Last edited:

nilfire77

Reaction score
nillfire, I think your umnumzaan is priced very well, in fact, soon it will be hard to find those old style pivots in the aftermarket. I recall nobody wanting to buy my large regular sebenza when I sold it at a loss, then suddenly, they discontinued it and the price went up by 40%, if they were at all available :eek:

Speaking of which, my zaan has already been reserved for a fellow bro here. I still have a LNIB mint DPx HEST 2.0 folder to let go.. who wants? lol :D

Sonic69

Reaction score
The Ripple:
the more I look at it.. the more it resemble the Alien, created by HR Giger, the movies made popular by the greats of Ridley Scott and James Cameron. background image: credits go to

Speaking of the Ripple, mine came from Fedex today!!! I'm playing with it at the same time trying to type out this update with a bandage on my right thumb (luckily its only used for the Space key). Yes, fellow knife freaks of HWZ, I cut myself again. This time with the Spyderco Tenacious that accompanied my Ripple in the Fedex Small box. My left thumb has only just healed from my previous debacle with my ZT0550 (which I have just touched up on my Edge Pro this morning).
And I love the Alien movies, all of them. Even Alien vs Predator haha. Yes the Ripple does remind me of Alien. That's what attracted me to buy it as well.

First impression: very light! It is as long as the Tenacious but obviously built for altogether different missions. I would classify the Ripple as a Gentleman's knife. Although I wonder if gentlemen of past era actually carried edged tools on their persons. But I digress. The blade is perfectly centered, fit and finish are not the best as it is a China made variant of the original Ripple which has steel handles (in the US they fondly call this version the Walmart edition). This budget version has aluminium handles. It is a flipper only without any thumb studs and since it is new, the action is still a little stiff but I'm sure it will smoothen out. Overall I'm pleased with this knife and I would say of all the knives in my small collection so far, this is the one that I would EDC without feeling in the least bit self conscious that I have a "weapon" in my pocket. The factory edge is sharp, I've cut some of the heavy paper that came in the box with joyous satisfaction.

Anyways, I wish I could post photos but alas my 100 post criteria has still not been met. Sigh.
If anyone is interested, the Ripple is for sale at SGD75 - its already in my hand. No hassle with Customs, GST, lost in the mail blah blah blah.........

SOLD!

Last edited:

Sonic69

Reaction score
The famous Fairbairn-Sykes Commando Knife
Any idea if this knife is allowed into Singapore?
The thing is that it is double edged.
it has great collector interest.

some pics here:

I'm pretty sure double edged knives are strictly no-no.

Sonic69

Reaction score
Spyderco Tenacious

As mentioned above, I have received my new Spyderco Tenacious in the same package as the CRKT Ripple. I'm posting separately to try to chalk up to 100 posts so that I can include photos!!!!!!

Anyways, as mentioned above as well, I cut my right thumb trying to "flick" open the Tenacious. Owww! Super sharp!!! I mean, really freakin' sharp. I thought I was buying a folding pocket knife and they sent me a scalpel!!! WTF! haha. Ok, yes, user error. I take full responsibility for my accident. If you play with fire.... yada yada yada.

This range of Spyderco's is made in China. However..... I have read before and agree that Made In China is not necessarily a "bad" label. As long as a company has the same stringent QC that they apply to their products made anywhere else in the world, it allows their products to be more competitive on Price point. This is the case with the Tenacious! If they didn't have CHINA on the tang end of the blade I would never guess that this knife is China made. It uses 8Cr13MoV steel which also allows it to be price competitive. The lock up on this knife is solid with a liner lock (which I'm starting to get quite fond of). Blade is a full flat ground leaf shape with that wonderfully sharp edge. I'll be honest and say that I would be proud of myself if I could get that kind of edge with my Edge Pro sharpener on any knife.

I am pleasantly surprised by the scales on this knife. The G-10 texture is very fine and it feels velvety yet provides an excellent purchase on the grip. I must admit that I have a Spyderco Delica Clipit, full serrated edge (which I absolutely hate this knife, but it was a gift) that I hate the handle of it. Its handle is some plasticky (could be Zytel) thing with aggressive looking texture but its still quite smooth and slippery. I was hesitant to buy another Spyderco just because I really don't like the Delica that I have. However, at this price point, my curiosity got the better of me and I ordered the Tenacious. I'm glad I did, this knife has turned my opinion of Spyderco 180 degrees. They have always had very good reviews and reputation and now I know why. All in all, I think the Tenacious is a great knife for anyone wanting a quality edged tool that is versatile for EDC as well as Utility in a moderate - hard use role, at an extremely reasonable price point. Needless to say, I am looking out for the next Spyderco knife for my collection.

This Spydie is for sale at SGD75.
(I did pop into Sh*#@s 2 days ago and had a look at their Spydie collection. Saw this one for sale over SGD90+)
Disclaimer: I'm not competing with any shop or persons. I order knives that I like and will gladly keep. However, as space and funds are constraints and as any collector knows its more fun to have more items pass through our hands, I will gladly sell what I have bought at close to cost (to ensure I don't get penalised on exchange rates) LNIB (because of course I will have to fondle and stroke the items at least a little bit :D) and remember the fond times we had together albeit short.

As I type this a fellow BM has offered to buy the Ripple! How fast is that! I haven't had it for more than 2 hours!!! Woots!

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
This Spydie is for sale at SGD75.
(I did pop into Sh*#@s 2 days ago and had a look at their Spydie collection. Saw this one for sale over SGD90+)
Disclaimer: I'm not competing with any shop or persons. I order knives that I like and will gladly keep. However, as space and funds are constraints and as any collector knows its more fun to have more items pass through our hands, I will gladly sell what I have bought at close to cost (to ensure I don't get penalised on exchange rates) LNIB (because of course I will have to fondle and stroke the items at least a little bit :D) and remember the fond times we had together albeit short.

As I type this a fellow BM has offered to buy the Ripple! How fast is that! I haven't had it for more than 2 hours!!! Woots!

Anyways, I wish I could post photos but alas my 100 post criteria has still not been met. Sigh.
If anyone is interested, the Ripple is for sale at SGD75 - its already in my hand. No hassle with Customs, GST, lost in the mail blah blah blah.........

Sold pending funds

Why buy and then sell after fondling only for a short period? :s11:

Hinata76

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im wondering too..have a russian bayonet and a samurai sword..haiz..wait for zombie days?

Donnguy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nillfire, I think your umnumzaan is priced very well,
in fact, soon it will be hard to find those old style pivots in the aftermarket.
I recall nobody wanting to buy my large regular sebenza when I sold it at a loss, then suddenly, they discontinued it and the price went up by 40%,
if they were at all available :eek:

wa so did u sell at e loss$ or later?

Speaking of which, my zaan has already been reserved for a fellow bro here. I still have a LNIB mint DPx HEST 2.0 folder to let go.. who wants? lol :D

really is enthusiast. :s12:

killstreak7

Reaction score
And what do you guys feel about Taiwanese made Spyderco? Are they better than their Japanese or golden counterparts?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.