Krisflyer miles redemption

AMD_FREAK

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to make my first Krisflyer redemption.. Wondering what are the various charges and waitlist options...

If I were to redeem a return flight, how much is the redemption charge? How about 1-way? Same charge or 50%?

I wanted to get a SIN-CHC-SIN flight, used to be SIN-CHC available, CHC-SIN waitlist. now it's the reverse. Would it be more wise to book the 1 sector which is available first, then book the other one when it shows 'available'? Will it incur more cost?

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You will only be able to confirm your flights only when all sectors can be confirmed (ie not waitlisted). As one way is just 50% of round trip, it is advisable to claim one way to confirm the bookings not on waitlist.

Also, if you want to confirm your dates / flights, do look for saver redemptions on higher booking classes, if available (don't bother about standard / full awards). You can cancel for a small fee and rebook your desired redemption class when the waitlist clears.

Cost wise, it may be slightly different to book 2x one-ways as the taxes is charged in the local currency of the first departure airport.

AMD_FREAK

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks thanks!

1 question.. When I redeem Krisflyer miles online, I get 15% off, and pay necessary airport taxes and misc.. On top of that, do I need to pay SQ any 'processing fees' for redeeming miles?

beanstalk6

Reaction score
No. All you have to pay are taxes. It is all laid out clearly online when you can confirm a flight.

AMD_FREAK

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, something is troubling me.. I'm thinking if SQ has a great promo to a certain destination, does it means it's not worth it to use KF miles? ie: just pay for a 'super deal' fare?

I did some calculations and derived the following :

I take <miles required> / <super deal> - <topup>

Christchurch

Super deal : $1192
KF miles redemption : 42500 + $373.50 topup

Thus $1 = 51 miles

San Francisco

Super deal : $1795.80
KF miles redemption : 59500 + $798.50 topup

Thus $1 = 59 miles

Copenhagen

Super deal : $1296

KF miles redemption : 59500 + $526 topup

Thus $1 = 77 miles

Thus can I conclude that I maximize my miles by redeeming it for Christchurch? :)

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
On top of that, do I need to pay SQ any 'processing fees' for redeeming miles?

Technically, there is no other charges. However, you can only redeem for your nominees (and yourself). Adding nominees is free of charge, but if you happen to have your nominees full and need to delete and add new ones to redeem the miles, there is a fee (depends on your status with Krisflyer) to delete or change a nominee.

There are also charges for cancellation and change of routing (fees depends on your status with Krisflyer). Take note that changing of dates is free, you just require award availability on the dates you require and to change within the validity of the ticket.

No. All you have to pay are taxes. It is all laid out clearly online when you can confirm a flight.

Correction, you also pay for the carrier surcharges (ie fuel surcharges). Taxes are dirt cheap compared to fuel surcharge.

Thus can I conclude that I maximize my miles by redeeming it for Christchurch? :)

No. Please do the math right. We are looking at the "monetary" savings per mile.

So for $1 = 77 miles, means 1 mile is worth only $0.013, while $1 = 51 miles means 1 mile is worth $0.0196. Thus CHC is much more worth it than CPH, according to per mile value.

To really maximize your miles, please go for premium classes redemption (saver category). Like a business class to CPH cost over S$7k (random searches turns up $7k to $10k), while redemption is only 102k miles, which is well about $0.06 per mile value (just considering $7k fare - $700 fees).

SQ is selling miles at US$40 per 1000 miles or US$0.04 per mile. Redeeming for S$0.06 or more per mile would put you over the price they are selling at.

Last edited:

tycosiao

Master Member
Reaction score
There is no charge for cancellation of award tickets unless terms have changed.

Taxes to LHR aren't cheap.

If you book a reward ticket EX sau paulo, there is no need to pay for fuel surcharge/ taxes.

Technically, there is no other charges. However, you can only redeem for your nominees (and yourself). Adding nominees is free of charge, but if you happen to have your nominees full and need to delete and add new ones to redeem the miles, there is a fee (depends on your status with Krisflyer) to delete or change a nominee.

There are also charges for cancellation and change of routing (fees depends on your status with Krisflyer). Take note that changing of dates is free, you just require award availability on the dates you require and to change within the validity of the ticket.

Correction, you also pay for the carrier surcharges (ie fuel surcharges). Taxes are dirt cheap compared to fuel surcharge.

No. Please do the math right. We are looking at the "monetary" savings per mile.

So for $1 = 77 miles, means 1 mile is worth only $0.013, while $1 = 51 miles means 1 mile is worth $0.0196. Thus CHC is much more worth it than CPH, according to per mile value.

To really maximize your miles, please go for premium classes redemption (saver category). Like a business class to CPH cost over S$7k (random searches turns up $7k to $10k), while redemption is only 102k miles, which is well about $0.06 per mile value (just considering $7k fare - $700 fees).

SQ is selling miles at US$40 per 1000 miles or US$0.04 per mile. Redeeming for S$0.06 or more per mile would put you over the price they are selling at.

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is no charge for cancellation of award tickets unless terms have changed.

Please see Service fee page. Redeposition miles of completely unused tickets has fees for all statuses. It used to be payable in miles too. So unless you meant no charge to cancel the ticket without getting the miles back and not even using the tickets again.

Taxes to LHR aren't cheap.
Agreed, I probably overlook LHR when making that statement.

If you book a reward ticket EX sau paulo, there is no need to pay for fuel surcharge/ taxes.
Interesting, will take note when if I ever go there.

tycosiao

Master Member
Reaction score
Please see Service fee page. Redeposition miles of completely unused tickets has fees for all statuses. It used to be payable in miles too. So unless you meant no charge to cancel the ticket without getting the miles back and not even using the tickets again.

Agreed, I probably overlook LHR when making that statement.

Interesting, will take note when if I ever go there.

Thanks, now I do remember the KF miles charge when canceling.

krisflyermiles

Reaction score
Miles ticket cancellation must pay by money. No longer accept miles for cancellation. And it took about 1 week for SQ to re.deposit the miles. (used to be instant deposit)

denn23

Master Member
Reaction score
Miles ticket cancellation must pay by money. No longer accept miles for cancellation. And it took about 1 week for SQ to re.deposit the miles. (used to be instant deposit)

at least im comforted that if i cancel the redemmed ticket, I wont lose my miles.

do you know how it works for change in flight date after redemption?

thx

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
at least im comforted that if i cancel the redemmed ticket, I wont lose my miles.
Not totally true. If your re-deposited miles are supposed to expire before the cancellation date, you will lose your miles.

do you know how it works for change in flight date after redemption?

thx

The new dates must have sufficient availability before you can proceed with the change. You can call them to do the change, or probably just do it online.

mighty1941

Reaction score
Redemption for SIN-SYD

Hi,
Anyone has experience on the redemption for SYD-SIN flights? I am looking at redeeming 2 business tickets using my miles but they are on waitlist.
Anyone knows what are the chances of getting the tickets for this route if you are on waitlist?
Thanks!!

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone has experience on the redemption for SYD-SIN flights? I am looking at redeeming 2 business tickets using my miles but they are on waitlist.
Anyone knows what are the chances of getting the tickets for this route if you are on waitlist?
Thanks!!

waitlist = 3-4 days or 24 hrs b4 than they confirm

so better choose another date

hot fav australia / new zealand always waitlist , at least on one way (u can do a search till may 2014 or jun2014)

but europe redemption always available

i am searching for CHC flt for redemption thats why i know
been waiting available status for months :(
1 pax ok
2 pax start to have problem
3 pax haizzzzz

maybe i changing ZRH for holiday

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maybe TS can update us how his "Waitlist" since he /she should have come back by from CHC by now

mighty1941

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice!!
I think for redemption on economy is okay.... but SQ starts to get 'stingy' when it comes to business and above... :s13:

waitlist = 3-4 days or 24 hrs b4 than they confirm

so better choose another date

hot fav australia / new zealand always waitlist , at least on one way (u can do a search till may 2014 or jun2014)

but europe redemption always available

i am searching for CHC flt for redemption thats why i know
been waiting available status for months :(
1 pax ok
2 pax start to have problem
3 pax haizzzzz

maybe i changing ZRH for holiday

vaxvms

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice!!
I think for redemption on economy is okay.... but SQ starts to get 'stingy' when it comes to business and above... :s13:

i only know first class damn hard to redeem
bzi class still ok

think depend on flt sector u redeeming

Tidus_Yuna1986

Reaction score
Hi guys,

can ask u all something, i'm new to this krisflyer thing.

For eg. to bkk, I saw that there's 3 different type of award.

Round-trip Economy Saver Award ticket - 25000
Round-trip Economy Standard Award ticket - 50000
Round-trip Economy Full Award ticket - 76000

What's the difference between these 3 awards? :s22:

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Standard will have better availability than Saver.
Full will have better availability than Standard.
They might open up Full first, if no one takes it up, then open for Standard, then for Saver.

Anyway, if you are looking at Standard and Full economy, please consider looking at Business and First saver first, this should cost less miles than Full economy. Please don't look at anything other than Saver redemptions.

I've had one redemption (many people flying together) with economy and business saver not available. Booked first saver (which was available) and waitlist for the desired class of service.

lcpteck

Master Member
Reaction score
I think the difference between the 3 is also the flexibility of the tickets right? Like cancellation policy and such is different?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.